The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 PM

Default I tried a T5! (finally)

I had a couple of hours to spare after work today while waiting for my wife to have her facial appointment, so I went over to the music store down the street just to browse. I chatted with the guitar guy about Taylors and talked a bit about my recent factory tour. Then I asked him if they are planning to order any T5's, he said, "Actually we have four in...you wanna try one?" I said, "YEAH!", so he went and pulled one fresh out of the box, and I was like, "wow!"

I knew I really won't be interested in getting one, since (at this point, anyways) I'm pretty much strictly an acoustic player. But I was impressed by how good the neck feels...very fast, very smooth. I ran a couple of scales up and down the neck and not being very acustomed to electric strings, I was amazed at how easy they were to fret and bend. I can really see why people like it so much. I looked at the price tag and actually said to myself "Hm...I can almost trade in my 814ce for this", but since I am an acoustic guy, it really won't make sense for me to make the move. And since I will only be using 20% of its capabilities, my limited use and my lack of skills really won't do it justice anyways.

BUT the real star of the show, ladies and gents, was the orange DDSM they had on the wall. The first time I've played one. I had always thought that the DDSM is built to be amplified, thinking that the smaller body is not built for volume or bass. I picked it up, played a few chords, and OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH...MY...GOSH...the thing sounded SO GOOD!!! The neck felt every bit as easy as the T5, it had bass, it had punch, it had low end volume and high end brighness...and the way the sound filled the room was incredible! I looked down at the price tag, and...nope...can't trade my 814ce for it...may be if I had two 814's ...

Anyways, it all made for a fun hour or so in the store
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 PM

Tried the T5, but fell in love with the DDSM. Sounds pretty familiar to me, except that I fell in love with the DDSM long before trying the T5. In any event, welcome to the DDSM admiration club.

Gary
Old 06-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Man, I have yet to find a store with even one T5 in stock. You were lucky to find a store with four in stock. Which model T5 was it?

2004 Taylor 614CE (returned 4/14/2006)
2002 Washburn D100S
Old 06-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Winning!

is there a noticable sound/tonal difference between the DDSM and 614ce?

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwong
Man, I have yet to find a store with even one T5 in stock. You were lucky to find a store with four in stock. Which model T5 was it?
It was the standard version with sapele and spruce top. I think they also have a custom with Koa and gold tuners and fancy inlays.
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 06-01-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reags
is there a noticable sound/tonal difference between the DDSM and 614ce?
Hmm...I spent more time with the DDSM than the 614 yesterday, basically cuz I couldn't put it down But I think on the DDSM, the short scale really made a difference. I have A/B the 614 with my 814 before, and I have always found the sound of the 6 to be a little...'tight' compared to the 8. I'm sure much of that is due to the 'warmer' nature of the rosewood compared with the 'focused' sound of the maple. But with the DDSM, may be because of the short scale, the sound was much more 'opened' compared to the 614, at least to my ear. But it is also possible that my eyes were playing tricks on my ears...the DDSM is one BEAUTIFUL guitar...with the rose, the chet style markers...
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM

There is a noticable sound/tone difference between the 614ce and DDSM due to differing specs:

-New DDSM is short scale as opposed to standard scale on 614.
-DDSM's are revoiced (forward shifted X-bracing, "trough" around inside edge of top), but the new 614's should have these same specifications.
-DDSM is a thinner bodied guitar, only 4-1/8" deep.
-DDSM with LR BAGGS Hex pickup has a seperate metal saddle for each string.

Whether one sounds better than the other is a matter of personal taste - I like both, but prefer the DDSM.
06 Big Baby
Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
I had a couple of hours to spare after work today while waiting for my wife to have her facial appointment....

I looked down at the price tag, and...nope...can't trade my 814ce for it...may be if I had two 814's ...

Anyways, it all made for a fun hour or so in the store
Just cut out the facials for the wife and you'd have a DDSM in no time
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I tried out a T5 briefly today, too. As others have mentioned, it played nicely, feel-wise. And I'm pretty much where I was - without a specific need for it, I won't be getting one anytime soon, and it didn't really inspire GAS for me. But if it does it for you, and I can see why it would, I think it is very nicely done!

All the best,

Wade
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I tried out a T5 briefly today, too. As others have mentioned, it played nicely, feel-wise. And I'm pretty much where I was - without a specific need for it, I won't be getting one anytime soon, and it didn't really inspire GAS for me. But if it does it for you, and I can see why it would, I think it is very nicely done!

All the best,

Wade
Wade, where in KY did you play one??? I'm in Lexington and have yet to see or hear of one...
Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcant1
Wade, where in KY did you play one??? I'm in Lexington and have yet to see or hear of one...
It wasn't in Kentucky. It was at Wildwood Music at Coshocton Ohio... they had just gotten another one in. From Lexington, it's about the same - a four-five hour drive. They're about an hour out from Columbus, OH.

I have to say, were it my cup of tea, I'd be saving up. It was a regular spruce top, but it shore was pretty!

Wade
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
It wasn't in Kentucky. It was at Wildwood Music at Coshocton Ohio... they had just gotten another one in. From Lexington, it's about the same - a four-five hour drive. They're about an hour out from Columbus, OH.

I have to say, were it my cup of tea, I'd be saving up. It was a regular spruce top, but it shore was pretty!

Wade
Thanks. One of the local dealers placed their order in January and have yet to see the first one. And they have no idea when they might begin arriving. They're not happy. They feel like GC and other larger retailers are getting all the shipments...

I'm on the lookout for a plain jane solid black standard. I think they look great, and it doesn't bother me that it's also the least expensive... I can buy a decent acoustic amp for the money they want for koa or maple and fancier inlays...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac
...In any event, welcome to the DDSM admiration club...
Been a proud member myself since September 2000 - picked up #51 of the original 200. I still absolutely love this guitar; the sound, fit, feel all are outstanding.

Still waiting to play a T5 myself. It sure looks like a fun guitar, if only the price were a bit more fun as well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion