The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Aphex Acoustic Xciter?

Has anyone played one or owned one?If so what do you think of it?Also could I run it thru my stereo?Thanks ahead of time
Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I have the Guitar Xciter... It adds lows and highs ... you can almost duplicate it with an eq -- but when you add the xciter on top of the eq -- it sounds even better. It is a mono pedal -- not really for stereo use, but sure sounds good on my PRS as well as my acoustics.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:06 PM

Had one and sold it. IMHO it makes the (ampliphied) sound marginally better, but makes the feedback problem far worse.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:06 PM

I have one and wouldn't play without it. IMO it makes things sound much better. In fact I let a friend borrow it for church service. During sound check he used it, but from the stage he couldn't really hear a dramatic change so he turned it off. The sound guys were all , like "whatever you just did, undo it". So he turned it back on. They were pretty impressed with it.

I tested it with my Boomerang (looper). I threw together a loop with a few layers. While it looped I turned the Exciter on and off, walking out in the auditorium each time. Much clearer with it.

Just wanted to chime in with my opinion of the little gadget!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 AM

I am a big supporter of the xciter...I love the sound, it brightens things up like you wouldn't believe. But like others have said it does increase feeback so be stingy with the low end (which sucks cause the big bottom is awesome). I would like to hear the difference between the acoustic xciter and the 1401(?) aural exciter/big bottom rack mount unit....I say go with the rack mount aural exciter if you can, it's only about a 50 dollar difference, and you can add the same effect to vocals as well as other instruments with the aural exciter...they're both made by aphex so they should sound the same. But I would think the rack mount unit would be better...I don't know maybe I'm wrong...nonetheless the acoustic xciter is worth the investment....I don't think I can live without mine...there's some good reviews on harmony-central I put up a review on it also if you care to read it

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 05-13-2005, 10:55 AM

I just got one and it sounds great. I highly recommend it. It adds a more fuller
punchy sound. Sounds natural. Does not sound processed, it just takes whats
already there and gives it more life.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:44 AM

I'll throw in one more thing. The only thing i don't like about the xciter is that when you use the DI out, the footswitch gets disabled. If you want to bypass the xciter you have to push a wet/dry button on the side of the box. This in my opinion this is stupid, why even make a DI out which is for PA systems which probably means you're playing LIVE!! and if you play live you should be able to control your effects with a stomp of your foot....well I run it through a chain of effects all going into my baggs padi so it's all good for me, but when I had just my xciter, running the DI out sucked. Oh and make sure you use some good cables, the xciter can get hissy, but only when I listen to it through my headphones, otherwise it's not too bad.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Yipes, I'm in the minority here, but I bought the pedal Aural Exciter and didn't really like it. I've still got it, but don't use it. Maybe I should give it another shot...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion