The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Looks like I'm stickin' with Taylor!!

To sum up the saga, my 814 just doesn't have the punch or volume I'm looking for, so I've been playing many different guitar brands to see what else is out there. I admit, I'm floored by Collings D2H's tone but can't get past these "vintage" style guitars. No or very limited cutaways availabe, open geared tuners(hate the look). I gotta make a decesion, because I don't even want to play anymore because I just don't like the sound. I play my Washburn dread more than my Taylor.

So I'm going back to the the old X-10's with a cut. I'll deal with the shape and the med strings if I can get the sound I'm looking for.

What's Taylor's best Dread Series? I've had the 410. OK I guess. I played the SS dread 710, pretty sweet low end, suprised the heck out of me actually.
That may be the closest in the running.

Any other suggestions, I'm mostly concerned with tone not looks. I'm starting to appreciate the Rosewood warmth latley...
Thanks, Nick
Old 05-12-2005, 06:31 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Well, if primarliy concerned with tone and not looks, you have kind of already answered your own question, haven't you? "Floored" by the Collings D2H's tone?
In the same ball park, Marin, SCGC, Bourgeouis, H&D, Larrivee.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 AM

Have you tried a straight 810. They produce a lot of sound volume. Of the four guitars I own it is the loudest. The 814ce that I have is the quietest of the bunch.

Also go check out a Rainsong. They are cannons!
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescon
To sum up the saga, my 814 just doesn't have the punch or volume I'm looking for, so I've been playing many different guitar brands to see what else is out there. I admit, I'm floored by Collings D2H's tone but can't get past these "vintage" style guitars. No or very limited cutaways availabe, open geared tuners(hate the look). I gotta make a decesion, because I don't even want to play anymore because I just don't like the sound. I play my Washburn dread more than my Taylor.

So I'm going back to the the old X-10's with a cut. I'll deal with the shape and the med strings if I can get the sound I'm looking for.

What's Taylor's best Dread Series? I've had the 410. OK I guess. I played the SS dread 710, pretty sweet low end, suprised the heck out of me actually.
That may be the closest in the running.

Any other suggestions, I'm mostly concerned with tone not looks. I'm starting to appreciate the Rosewood warmth latley...
Thanks, Nick
I too was/am amazed by the tone of Collings. They will do a custom one for you without the vintage stuff. They do satin 1 3/4" necks on them (with up-charge), also without the volute (the volute is just for cosmetics and gets in the way on some chords, makes not logical sense - the volute is just "pretty".) Ask for a neck like the D1 (which is a nice improvement for playing) put on a D2H at no charge. The OM and C10 are the only cutaways I am aware of that Collings does.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM

I would suggest looking into a Martin D-16RCE...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM

The 810 is a great guitar, and I agree, it's the loudest guitar I've ever owned. Very versatile as well, very responsive and easy to play. Wish I wouldn't have sold that one.

The D2H is a KILLER guitar. You can certainly find one with a 1 3/4" nut for no upcharge. Not quite as loud as the 810 but close, and <opinion> with a much better tone.</opinion> Warmer, but still with exceptional clarity and brightness in the mid to lows. Everyone that plays mine shakes their head and starts telling me they need a new guitar.

But the 810 is darn, darn good! Got lots of compliments on that one too! And the look is definitely modern, not so vintage as the D2H. Do you really need a cutaway? <opinion> I think they look odd on a dread,</opinion> but some folks do like 'em.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM

For a Taylor Dred with cutaway, you can do no better than to find a used DCSM/Dan Crary Signature Model. I've got an '87 that is the best sounding dred I've ever heard. Very loud, and very balanced. A friend has a '95 DCSM that is a great guitar, too.

I've said many times before that the DCSM is one of Taylors most under-rated guitars. You can find them on E-bay periodically.

I know that we can't discuss price, but they average about what the clearance price on Jim Tozier's Webber is right now.......

Just my $.02.......

Jeff

Last edited by JJFIELDS; 05-12-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:33 PM

I am selling an 810. Look in the classifieds.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Also, don't forget about the 2003 410-R LTDs. They are glossy, indian rosewoods for a fraction of the cost of an 810 -- they just don't have the eye candy of the 810, and have the 3-400 series black case, which is still pretty darn good (except the covering is very "scuffable").

Maybe the "rating" of the wood might be a tad higher on the 810, but a 410-R is 95% an 810. There's one (maybe 2) on eBay right now, and they come up pretty frequently. I know -- I bought one a couple weeks ago and LOVE it.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 05-12-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Suggestion

For the $ and tone i would go with the 410...Not as expensive as the 810 less frills but the sound & tone comes very close.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion