The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Intonation question??

I recently had my guitar setup with 11's (came with 12's). Had the action lowered and had a bone nut installed. I noticed that the intonation seems a little off. The freted notes are a touch flat from the harmonic. Would it be possible that going down one string gauge could cause this? I don't have any 12's on hand to try changing back right now.
I do play sort of a folk/jazz style and chord all over the neck.
95' Les Paul std.
99' Am. std. strat w. emg's "Silver"
04' Carvin AC-275 "Butter Boy"
Ovation electric mandolin
Cocker Spaniel puppy "Jimi"
Old 05-11-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedboy11
I recently had my guitar setup with 11's (came with 12's). Had the action lowered and had a bone nut installed. I noticed that the intonation seems a little off. The freted notes are a touch flat from the harmonic. Would it be possible that going down one string gauge could cause this? I don't have any 12's on hand to try changing back right now.
String gauges can affect intonation somewhat, but my first guess would be the new nut. Do you have the old nut for comparison? If so, make sure that the point where the string leaves the nut is the same as it was before. It almost sounds like the "peak" may be in a slightly different place. Alternately, is the nut any higher/lower than before? That could also make a difference.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Three things...

Quote:
Hi blackeyedboy11...
Each of the four actions you took potentially affect the intonation of a guitar...lower action, new strings, new nut, lower string weight. Combined they can accumulate. It probably is out a touch...thankfully it's not fatal.

First try another set of 11s, because sometimes string flaws affect intonation...sometimes one odd set or a single string of a particular brand or set will be off, no clue why. It probably won't fix it, but it needs to be included in the troubleshooting process, and is the one step you can do at home.

Then, if intonating was part of the setup just take it back and ask for it to be completed. If not, have it intonated...either way it needs to be done.

If the new nut was corrective (the setup guy changed the nut height) then reintonating should correct it.

Also, if you play beyond the fifth fret quite a bit, and you've played this particular guitar for a while, and you do quite a lot of ''all over the neck'' chording, then your ears are adjusted to it's intonation tendencies (every guitar has 'em). You may not be able to duplicate them with the new setup, but I'll bet you can get close, and your ears will adjust as well.

Our ears improve towards intonation as we play more, and part of what you are ''suffering'' is possibly that. The good news is some of it can be corrected by re-intonating the guitar.

The other news is guitars always play slightly compromised when it comes to intonation, and we have to decide which region of the fretboard we will be most lenient with or corrective towards. I like my high chords to sound in tune.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-11-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM

In addition to the wonderful replies of our other contemporaries you might also want to take a look at he article on tuning that Bob Womack posted yesterday in reply to a request for that thread. It has some insights you may find illumiating.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM

Yes, the action is somewhat lower than before. This is a Carvin AC275 guitar. It has an acoustic type compensated bridge. Can it be intonated? Is this done by filing the break points? Thanks!
95' Les Paul std.
99' Am. std. strat w. emg's "Silver"
04' Carvin AC-275 "Butter Boy"
Ovation electric mandolin
Cocker Spaniel puppy "Jimi"
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Hi again Blackeyedboy...

Quote:
Yes, the action is somewhat lower than before. This is a Carvin AC275 guitar. It has an acoustic type compensated bridge. Can it be intonated? Is this done by filing the break points? Thanks!
Yes it can be compensated, and it is accomplished by filing the break points.

I'd not seen or played that particular model, so I looked at it on Carvin's site, and it appears to use a standard bridge. Easily compensated by a luthier or setup shop, or a new one cut.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion