The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Which condenser mic for vocals??

I don't have too much experience with professional recording, but I do know condenser mics are the way to go when recording vocals. Which condenser mics have you all had the best experience with?
I'm not talking Neumann mics or anything so pricey - I'm on a budget! I guess a good analogy would be
SM58 is to live vocals (very reliable, good sound, and very good price)
as
______ is to recording vocals

Fill in the blank
Fender MIM Thinline Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 05-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Guitar Honey

I have an AT4033 that gives great quality vocal sound. However, surprisingly enough, when recording my students, I usually use my SM58's because they are not as sensitive, and do not pick up background noise and every little nuance like the higher quality condensers, which can be a good thing when you are recording non-professional vocalists. Anyway the AT4033 is a great vocal mic, at a reasonable price from the right dealers.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Thanks! Great recommendation, that's exactly the type of responses I'm looking for. Any other good experiences?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 05-01-2005, 06:13 PM

You might look at the line of mics from Studio Projects.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Default mics for vocal recording...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2c
...I'm on a budget!
Hi r2c...
For vocals, a 1'' diaphragm is the correct size, and there are several reasonable combos. I like the Behringer B-1 & B-2 for vocals. Another reasonable sounding choice is the MXL combo for under a C note for a vocal and instrument mic set.

I use AT-4033, AKG-414, & ShureKM-44s in the studio for vocals. For Tenors and Sopranos I use the AKG-414 and for Baritone or Altos the KSM-44. The AT-4033 is for backup vocals and upright bass.

I have been surprised at how good the Behringer and MXL sound for those on budgets. The Behringers were the smoothest on my large tube preamp/firewire interface rig. While these would not work for commercial recording they are more than adequate for home use...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Here's recent thread on the same subject, you might enjoy:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=62151

It really depends on cost. Obviously, most folks can't afford a Neumann U87. There are tons of less expensive options. I love my Studio Projects C1. But keep in mind - different mics sound different on different singers. So do your homework - read all the reviews you can find. A nice tube mic usually sounds really good, also. One other point - don't forget about your mic pre. The best mic in the world won't sound like the best mic in the world with a lousy preamp. Of course - you may already have a good pre. If so - ignore that last sentence!!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the link, very helpful stuff.
Have you tried out the Marshall MXL v69 yet? How does it compare to the C1?

Thus far, I'm considering the Audio Technica AT4033, Sure KSM44, Behringer B2, the Marshall MXL, and the C1.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 05-02-2005, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
You might look at the line of mics from Studio Projects.
I have a C1...its an excellent vocal mic for the price

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 05-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Default You can do this...

Hi...
You are asking for empirical data from a group of subjective people most of whom have not played with more than one kind of microphone.

Even if we own more than one, without listing all our preamps or other front end gear we use, there is no way to evaluate this for you. I know you are trying to eliminate risk, but you just need to purchase one of the mic listed and enjoy it.

When people come to our studio to record, I teach them the process if they are interested and help them find the gear to record their own next projects. There is nothing magic about it, all it takes is good gear, talent and a good ear.

I help them locate equipment for around $500-700 bucks that when used well will allow them to record a project which the average person will not think inferior as far as sound reproduction is concerned.

Go get a decent mic and interface and you be you studio.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-02-2005, 07:14 AM

I own an MXL 990/991 kit. It works great on guitars and decent to good on vocals I have yet to get the pop filter to protect from my spit
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Default it works well and is cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr
I own an MXL 990/991 kit. It works great on guitars and decent to good on vocals I have yet to get the pop filter to protect from my spit
Hi...
Just build one from a small embroidry hoop with a piece of panty hose stretched in it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Building your own windscreen.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Thumbs up Studio Projects C1

Another vote for the Studio Projects C1. I have been extremely happy with mine. At the time of my research about 18 months ago, it certainly appeared to be the best reviewed mic in it's price range (for what it's worth). Good luck!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshoup
Another vote for the Studio Projects C1. I have been extremely happy with mine. At the time of my research about 18 months ago, it certainly appeared to be the best reviewed mic in it's price range (for what it's worth). Good luck!
I have two and use them for most everything except banjo.

B1's are also very popular. C1's are good for most male vocals, though some engineers complain of a bit too much siblance. For the price though I think there's anything that compares to a C1. An AKG-414 would be the next step for me.

You're likely to get a lot of opinions on mics, it's a very subjective thing, on par with opinions about acoustic guitars.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Just build one from a small embroidry hoop with a piece of panty hose stretched in it.[/size][/FONT][/color]
Excuse my ignorance what is an embroidry hoop?

Also... I don't have any panties.. do girls still wear those?

Does anyone know of a place to get a pop filter for cheap? Rasio Shack maybe?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification