The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Default A Soaked Savoy

In case you were wondering how the Savoy handles being in a less-than-waterproof-and-windproof environment during a tropical storm, I just tested this with TS Elsa.

When I checked on the Savoy after the storm, I could see it was wet. What surprised me was how heavy the guitar was when I picked it up.

Turns out there was about 6 inches of water inside. It had been hanging on a wall mount so the water was about halfway up to the soundhole.

Poured right out through the sound port in the neck!... a cool feature that makes the Savoy the only truly hoseable guitar.

Events like this is one reason I didn't want electronics in the guitar. Just the K&Ks. They should be fine.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Wow...glad it and you are OK Strum, so it didn't absorb any water at all? I didn't realize there was flooding that bad. Stay safe.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Hope you and family are ok.
Great that the Savoy survived.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-08-2021, 05:39 PM
Guest 928

I find that much water hard to believe. We are into the second decade of a drought here, augmented by 110 degree temperatures and wind. So far this year we've seen a bit more than 1" of rain. I'm thinking maybe I should get a Savoy just to put outside as a rain magnet to go along with the rain dance.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I find that much water hard to believe. We are into the second decade of a drought here, augmented by 110 degree temperatures and wind. So far this year we've seen a bit more than 1" of rain. I'm thinking maybe I should get a Savoy just to put outside as a rain magnet to go along with the rain dance.

Same here in my lil town
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-09-2021, 05:33 AM

Glad you and the Savoy are ok. I think my Lucky13(no electronics) would do as well in a storm but hope I never find out.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
so it didn't absorb any water at all?
The Savoy beads up water like a fine wax job on a Bugatti Veyron. And it dries out fast!

The water did burn out my soundhole tuner, but that is no big loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm thinking maybe I should get a Savoy just to put outside as a rain magnet to go along with the rain dance.
That might work.
As you probably know, the legend states you must take the Savoy deep into the Superstition Mountains ~ and while standing in the shadow of Weavers Needle at the very moment it points to the Lost Dutchman's Mine ~ play the Classical Cowboy Tune "Cool Water"... until it rains.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber