The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-20-2002, 04:04 PM

Unhappy Fretboard Logic books - how to use?

I received Volumes I & II as a Christmas gift, but I have not really worked with them yet. I guess I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm working with a Stefen Grossman video to expand my blues repertoire (sp?), and I use Jamey Andreas' book on how to practice. But where does Fretboard Logic fit in? I guess my initial thought is to finish the video, then "pause" and go through the book? Then go back and work on some more advanced blues?

Has anybody worked with Fretboard Logic?

I should mention that the book is very well written. Very easy to understand for musical dummies like myself. I defintely want to understand the fretboard a lot better than I currently do, but I'm not sure how it all fits together.

This is beginning to sound like college. The first two years, I took a lot of science courses that, individually, I understood, but I did not understand how it all fit. It wasn't until my last few years that I started pulling basic science stuff from the deep recesses of my cranium, and then understood how it all fit together. Maybe I should look at a 4-year music curriculum as a proxy.

Hmmm...perhaps I answered my own question.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 05-20-2002, 08:40 PM

Ref GDad..
"I wish somebody would tell me what Diddie Wa Diddie means..."

I tell you what GD, I will tell you what Diddie Wa Diddie means, if you tell me what "A Wema Wep, A Wema Wep" means!

Old enough to remember & appreciate

<><
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 05-21-2002, 06:54 AM

Smile I slept on it...

I think the two can be done simultaneously. Like I said yesterday, it's kinda like taking two classes; one "Repertoire" class, one "Theory" class.

The challenge, of course, is finding the time to work on it all. Good thing it's all fun and challenging!

LP: I have no idea what Diddie Wa Diddie means. Guess I have the same problem as Blind Blake!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:09 AM

Having purchased Fretboard logic a couple of years ago, I waas really looking forward to the new video. I thought that he would do a better job of getting the "concepts" across in the video. From my perspective I don;t think he did. I got more from the book than the video. Just my opinion.

<><
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 05-21-2002, 12:00 PM

Default Video or book?

Funny you should make this point. Edwards does a nice job with simple diagrams and a breezy writing style in the book. I thought about getting the video, but I had doubts that this would translate well to video. I mean, if he's flashing diagrams on the screen, followed by him demonstrating an "A form, Fifth position", then where is the value in the video?

I like the book a lot, and I use other videos to learn songs & techniques. I don't see how this will translate well into a video. Sounds like I was right, for a change.

Uncork New York!
Old 05-21-2002, 12:38 PM

I purchased the video to clarify a few questions I had from the book and in the end I was very disappointed with the video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell