The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Armrest Question

I am considering putting an armrest on my 810 Custom and I had a few questions because I don't know a whole lot about them.

Are they removable?
How do they attach?
How much do they really improve the sound quality?

I am also working on a custom TRC design. If I get the armrest, I will probably drop an email to Capt. Bill about both the TRC design and the same design on the armrest. I hear he does great work.

Thanks All.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 PM

I've never actually met anyone who used an armrest. I can't really imagine that they'd make any significant difference on an 810 though.

Maybe on a classical?

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Luthier

armrests are made for chairs

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfall268
...Are they removable?
How do they attach?
Hi...
I have a friend who uses them on his guitars.

They stick on, and come off without damage.

I don't think they make a great guitar any greater. In theory they keep your arm from damping the top. I damp it on purpose and use my arm to apply a vibrato, so I don't want something to block it.

My friend got it to try to relieve pressure on his arm (circulation being cut off & numbness problems).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Of course, it all depends on the brand and how hard you glue somethings. It will decrease resell value. There are some guitars with armrest that cannot be removed. Also, if you put an armrest on a guitar for 5 years and then take it off, something will show probably. 20 years, definitely.

I would put an armrest on if I liked it - except I don't like armrest. I threw the original tuners in the trash, that probably decreased resell value. But life is too short to live with a guitar you don't like. So in the trash the tuners go. If you like the arm rest, why not put it on.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfall268
Are they removable?
How do they attach?
Yes, they are removable.
There are often attached with double-sided tape.
Quote:
They can really help the sound, especially if you lay your arm on the front of you guitar. Try playing your guitar with your arm on the guitar front - listen - now try playing your guitar with your arm off of the front of the guitar - listen - you should hear a difference. The armrest will help with the damping you arm does to the front of the guitar.
Quote:
If I get the armrest, I will probably drop an email to Capt. Bill about both the TRC design and the same design on the armrest. I hear he does great work.
Even it you do not get the armrest, get a custom TRC from Capt Bill. He does wonderful work!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM

SteveS is right on all accounts. I have them on my walnuts and even had Capt. Bill do his very fine work on both.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM

I've got a JP Rosewood armrest on my 110 and I think it's great...really helps the sound and it does not bother me at all. It was very easy to put on as well. Just peel and stick.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 PM

I put a JP "eye brow" arm rest on my K12C. It seems to have made the guitar a tad louder. The only problem with the eyebrow design is that the arm rest is locked into the contour of the lower bout and cannot go farther down toward the end pin. I find it was made to fit too far forward toward the waste.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 PM

I put JP armrests on all my acoustics.
They make them more comfortable for me.

A note on removing them:

"The John Pearse® Armrest is designed as a permanent addition to the
guitar--as is a pick guard or a bridge. Although it should only be removed
by a competent repair person, attachment should not be undertaken lightly."

Old 04-06-2005, 02:32 AM

Doe`s the guiyar fit ithe case with the rest on?
My guitars fit snug and there is no room for for any bulge.
Simmo
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

One of my 814s has an armrest (I bought it used), and I really don't notice much difference either in feel or tone. It is definately louder than my other 814, but that is probably b/c it is older. It fits just fine in the case.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 PM

I had a JP slimline armrest installed on my Lakewood A32. It helped the sound phenomenally. You can see the guitar in the gallery, and you'll note that it is a small bodied guitar. Because of my large frame I tended to rest my entire arm over the top which led to a significant damping effect.

I hate the look of armrests, but the slimline looked O.K. - but more importantly, it added back that zing to my guitar that my poor technique stole.

If I purchase another small bodied guitar, I would not hesitate to add another.

My OM now though, is large enough that it won't make a significant difference for either my technique or the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion