The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-31-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Boy did I learn something tonight

I was working on Hansons Fingerstyle Guitar book. Have been for a while. Am on the Four per Bar song. The right hand thing was hard for some reason. Working on it for 3 nights and still could not play it at all unless I was going very very slow . . something like 20 bpm. So I dumped the left hand completely. Concentrated on just the right hand on open strings. Wow what a difference . . . I was able to do it slow and focus on totally the right hand. After about 15 minutes of nothing but that, I added the left hand back in. I can now play the first 2 measures of the song!! . . LOL . . . It's a start! The pattern repeats through the song so now it's chord changes etc.

I remember Mapletrees saying a while back something about drills . . . I think I just learned what he meant by that. Something one hand can do over and over again to help you make some progress through a difficult passage.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Another trick is to play a piece of music as if every not was the same value..ie if 4/4 music every note is a quarter note. Takes away the complication of trying to get the timing right along with the right and left hand coordination.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell