The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2020, 02:15 AM

Default Waterloo lead times - uk

Good morning, after a good while searching I finally got my hands on a used Waterloo wl-k a few months back. Fantastic guitar - light as a feather, plays and feels great - the slightly chunky ‘moderate oval neck’ as they describe it seems to really suit my small(ish) hands.
I’m so impressed with this guitar that I recently started looking around for a wl-14 but here in the uk they rare. I’ve found one, ladder braced with the vintage v neck profile but it’s too far away to try and, although I’ve never played a vintage v neck (on any guitar) from what I’ve read on here and other forums I don’t think it would suit my hands. I’d also prefer an x braced model so it’s not ideal either way.

Now the odds of an x braced, smaller neck profile wl-14 coming up on the used market here in England are extremely low so I contacted Collings about the possibility of ordering a new one. As usual they got back to me within the hour, and told me I’d have to go through a uk dealer and there was currently a lead time of 18-24 months on a new build. This has gone up from the usual 6 months due to the predicament we all find ourselves in which I totally understand.

I’ve since contacted all Uk dealers and found one I like and who will offer a discount on his own commission (non of the others would).
They require a 20% deposit and obviously the rest is paid when the guitar arrives.

So my question(s) are....

Has anyone in the USA tried ordering one recently and have they been quoted the same lead times? I’m assuming they would have as I’d be surprised if they give one county preference over the other, but y’never know.

Also while I’m here...has anyone in the uk imported a guitar from a dealer in the usa and is it a viable option?
I’ve looked into this option and general consensus seems to be that you add 20% on to the price to cover import tax and vat. Also postage costs can vary quite drastically.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

And while we’re on the subject of Waterloo’s any owners opinions on these fine instruments would be most welcome.

Best
Jon
Old 10-11-2020, 03:07 AM

Quite a few of the newer 12 fretter WL12s have the lighter neck....

I have an X and an L 14 fret maxi neck and every day goes past makes them sound more glorious.

I am very particular, have never played a 12 fretter, but would not hesitate to buy one of Reverb.com and get it delivered...mine are superb builds! I bought the first X online and broke all my resolutions...

BluesKing777.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi,
Pity about timing, we had a chap from London who was on this forum. He was trying for ages to sell a perfectly good WL-14.

He eventually sold it through Charlie Chandlers in Hampton Court. Charlie is the only Collings/Waterloo repairer as his brother in the distributor, but Collnigs stuff passes though his hands.

Check our Guitarguitar - it seems they have what you want!
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...ced-wtruss-rod

This may be the instrument you mentioned - but these are rare in the UK now - few god items are coming in the the USA - so I would suggest that you have a chat with them,. and see if you can get it sent with a return option ...but you won't return it!

I have owned a Waterloo since November 2016, when I went out to buy a Gibson l-00. Mine is a WL12 - with a maple B&S.
I'll admit that whilst it was tonally and playability far superior to any of the Gibsons, when I got it home I decided I didn't like it, and shortly thereafter determined to sell it on.

Then a guy I was teaching dropped his two ton Aria jumbo on it putting three dents in the top! That would mean an even bigger loss!

In disgust and despair, I hung it on the wall in my office listening to the radio whenever I was there which was most days during 2017 when I was having cancer treatment.

Some time later, I took it down for a strum and magic had happened - it had opened up - radically! It is most certainly NOT a gentle sumptuous sound like a Martin style rosewood guitar but it sounds like it looks - a bluesier style, loud, well balanced and, actually very well made.

since then I have had the opportunity to compare it with two '30s Gibsons. I wouldn't swap!

This is mine :

Good luck!

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-11-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Not necessary.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:39 AM

BluesKing777 I've listened to quite a lot of youtube video's on the difference between ladder and x braced, the wlk is ladder braced so I thought I'd go for the x braced on this one. I'd love one of each like yourself though!

Thanks Sillymoustache, the one at guitarguitar doesn't have a truss rod (even though it says it does in the title) and it's the prominent V profile neck. You're right though these are rare, I believe thats the only one available in the uk right now. If I lived closer to Epsom I'd go along and have a look but unfortunately it's a long long way from Yorkshire.

pS I always find your video's informative and entertaining
Old 10-11-2020, 06:23 AM

Have you considered an Atkin?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Have you considered an Atkin?
I had an L36 and sold it in June this year. It arrived in the morning and I left it unplayed as I was dashing out to see my parents - unfortunately whilst there my father passed away suddenly. It may sound odd to some but I just knew that guitar (and the brand name) would always remind me of that awful day.

Life hey!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:18 AM

I am in the same position as the OP and would like a ladder braced "small neck" WL-14. I played a ladder-braced WL14 in GG in Brum (my have been the one that's there) and while it sounded absolutely perfect, edging out the X-braced version, I found after 10 minutes playing my hand was tired and hurting. Ended up scratching my small body itch with a Taylor 12 fretter, but I still keep my eyes open for one second hand as I can't justify the price Collings and Waterloo guitars have started to be charged in recent years.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your father. Hard times.
I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure the only ladder-braced Waterloos are the Stella influenced model and the original WL-14, if your WL-K is ladder-braced it may be a one-off...?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Thank you!
You are correct, I’ve just checked the specs. I don’t know why I’d got it in my head it was ladder braced.
Ok so ladder braced is an option again now especially considering boombox’s comment.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:18 PM

The Waterloo WL-S Deluxe model is a smaller guitar - like an old 30s Stella - and they have the slightly smaller neck, I believe, but are rare as hen's teeth.

https://reverb.com/item/35664585-wat...arlor-acoustic

As stated earlier, the 12 fret Waterloos have some with the smaller neck. I want the big neck personally but I have read here that the 'smaller' neck is not that much smaller. This one says it has the "comfortable "Moderate Oval" Neck Profile....I think I want the black 12!!! I don't want to look at it anymore. You could hit the buy button on this, import it, own for 2 years before Collings make your order?????

https://reverb.com/item/30489298-wat...ripe-pickguard

Edit: found a new WL-14 ladder braced with the 'small neck' for you:

https://reverb.com/item/36201928-wat...rod-small-neck

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 10-11-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:07 AM

I’ve never played the vintage big neck, I’d love to give it a try but from what I’ve heard it wouldn’t work for me. So I’ve concluded it’s too risky to order one with out playing it first.

If there are any vintage v neck owners within a few miles of South Yorkshire willing to let me try out there’s I’d be very grateful. Long shot but you never know [emoji2]

There is a used wls delux somewhere in Europe I’ve found but it’s the t-bar version and priced as high as a brand new one...

The neck on the wlk is described as ‘moderate oval’. I find it comfortable...yes it feels full in my hand but I can still easily bar and wrap my thumb around.
The only thing I can compare it to right now is the mlo profile on my Martin 00-28 - it’s certainly fuller than that but in a good way imo.

Fired off a message last night on reverb about the wl14. Add says local pick up only so I’m not optimistic. Black wouldn’t be my ideal choice either...

BluesKing777 I think you should treat yourself to that wl12, it would compliment your two wl14’s perfectly!
Old 10-12-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
Good morning, after a good while searching I finally got my hands on a used Waterloo wl-k a few months back. Fantastic guitar - light as a feather, plays and feels great - the slightly chunky ‘moderate oval neck’ as they describe it seems to really suit my small(ish) hands.
I’m so impressed with this guitar that I recently started looking around for a wl-14 but here in the uk they rare. I’ve found one, ladder braced with the vintage v neck profile but it’s too far away to try and, although I’ve never played a vintage v neck (on any guitar) from what I’ve read on here and other forums I don’t think it would suit my hands. I’d also prefer an x braced model so it’s not ideal either way.

Now the odds of an x braced, smaller neck profile wl-14 coming up on the used market here in England are extremely low so I contacted Collings about the possibility of ordering a new one. As usual they got back to me within the hour, and told me I’d have to go through a uk dealer and there was currently a lead time of 18-24 months on a new build. This has gone up from the usual 6 months due to the predicament we all find ourselves in which I totally understand.

I’ve since contacted all Uk dealers and found one I like and who will offer a discount on his own commission (non of the others would).
They require a 20% deposit and obviously the rest is paid when the guitar arrives.

So my question(s) are....

Has anyone in the USA tried ordering one recently and have they been quoted the same lead times? I’m assuming they would have as I’d be surprised if they give one county preference over the other, but y’never know.

Also while I’m here...has anyone in the uk imported a guitar from a dealer in the usa and is it a viable option?
I’ve looked into this option and general consensus seems to be that you add 20% on to the price to cover import tax and vat. Also postage costs can vary quite drastically.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

And while we’re on the subject of Waterloo’s any owners opinions on these fine instruments would be most welcome.

Best
Jon
Hi there,

I'm from the UK too - I've nothing to add other than I now own 3 different Waterloo's and they're fab...I'm a fan.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:07 AM

Hi there, brilliant - which models do you own?
Are you by any chance thinking of rehousing any
Old 10-12-2020, 04:17 AM

I looked up Wunjo Guitars, London to see their wares...zip Waterloos...but they have a stack of Maton 808s! My biggest beef with my fabulous Matons is the neck is a touch narrow for me. It is a handful and a hair wider than a modern Gibson. Maybe get a play of one! Maton Tommy Emmanuel EBG808TE. You might really like the neck.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
Hi there, brilliant - which models do you own?
Are you by any chance thinking of rehousing any
I've a WL-14 (one of the earlier ones, and ladder braced) which is probably my favourite, a WL-S Deluxe I picked up in Brighton, and a WL-12MH. All different flavours but very addictive. The WL-14 and the mahogany WL-12 are probably closer to each other in terms of sound/feel.

Great find with the WL-K too - I've only managed to play one and it was fantastic. There's something special about these Waterloo's for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion