The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-24-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Any Worship/Church Bass players?

Hi All,

I have been playing bass at church now for a few months. Being a beginning guitar player, I have kept it very simple up until now just sticking with the bass notes mainly. We play from the song sheets that have the words and the chords on them.

I know I could add a 5th or 3rd note sometimes but I never seem to know when . . . so I have kept things simple.

How/when would I know to add 5ths and 3rd? When not to etc etc? When I started, I could hardly keep up with the root on some songs that had the walk downs etc . . . I am now used to finding all the notes, I know how to find octaves etc. So I guess I am looking for the next step . . . . to becoming a better bass player for our worship team.

It would be cool to find someone to that maybe plays a couple of the same songs we do and work through them . . . . . or something . . . kind of an online email tutor . . .

wayne
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 PM

Practice my friend. Youre in the perfect situation to experiment and gain skill on bass. Try mixin it up with different rythyms too. Its all about experience and practice. Trial and error. The more you do it, and the more mistakes you make, the better you will get. And dont be afraid to paly a wrong note. Most people in the congregation probably wont notice, or let it take away from their worship. Also, ask for advice or suggestions from the other band members, especailly the drummer for rythyms and guitarists for notes, since their the ones that you play with and know. Im by no means an expert, but bass is a blast to play. Have fun with it and dont be afraid to experiment.
Will
________
GLASS PIPE

Last edited by cominghome419; 08-17-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Or even better, do your experimenting during practice (if your band does practice). That way you don't have to worry about distracting the congregation.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:52 PM

Yeah thats more what I was thinking. But hey, when the spirit moves, you gotta follow no matter when it is!
________
Volcano vaporizer

Last edited by cominghome419; 08-17-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 AM
I know that one

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Does your group have a keyboardist? If so, ask him/her to work with you on some bass lines for the tunes. If you have specific questions drop me a PM, I'll be glad to try and help.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:29 AM

We have a keyboard player. He is about 18 years old. Part of the problem is that we never practice. We get there about 90 minutes before service and run through the set for the day. We have had one practice in the last couple months. I kepp telling everyone that we should practice, they all agree but we never do but I'll keep after them.

I am trying to learn something outside that would help me. One of the local music stores has a guy that gives bass lessons. Maybe I should go talk to him and take a few. That may help. Also I should probably start bringing the bass home again with me to at least practice my Hal Leonard book. I am also thinking about buying a bass. I love playing it but I want to get better.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 AM

Hi Wayne,

Check out the following link to Harmony Central . Once you get to the page, scroll down a bit and you will find 5 lessons on the basic role of the bass player. It outlines very basic bassline construction and concepts. In addition, there are several other lessons on that page related to more advanced bass playing. Might be a good place to start.

Hope this information helps.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks Livingston! Will do! . . .
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 AM

P.S. I sometimes sit in for the bass player in our church band. I have found that when in doubt, root notes and 5ths are the safest place to be.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 AM

I play bass in our church and I do roots and a few fifths on traditional gospel songs. Most contemporay worship songs lack the rhythm for a normal R-5 bass line. I usually focus on keeping the beat alive and move to notes changes from a 1/2 step below or step above depending on the chord. I do a little funk stuff with 3-7b on one song that has a funky sound to it. On traditional hymns, I will take the piano music and adapt it to the song. I read bass and treble clef and it is invaluable and takes just a bit of time. I find the biggest challenge in contemporary worship music is that the music doesn't have the clear cut rhythm like rock or blues or even country. But I would agree that you can never go wrong with erring on the side of simplicity.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 PM

I have been playing bass in chuch for 5 years now... The problem with most worship music is it is produced for singing and not funky beats

I have found to learn as many Jazz and blues scales as i can and throw them in every now and then....

Also you should buy a bass... Get somethiing good but cheap... I started on an Ibanez soundgear 4 string... Then I went to a 5 string.... Now i have my ultimate bass.... Warwick 4 string corvet standard.... The more you play the better you get....
Taylor Baby (Mahogany) (mine) (given to me by Doyle Dykes)
Tayolr 414ce LTD (Maranatha) (mine)
Taylor 714ce (Dads)
Taylor DDSM LTD (Desert Rose) (Dads)
Taylor XXX-RS (Dads)
Old 01-26-2005, 02:22 PM

Stopped by store today. Played a few bass guitars . . . if I had to walk out with one today, I think it would be the Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 4 or 5 string. I liked the feel of the neck and it seemed to sound the best of all I tried in the price range I am looking at.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:32 AM

Give us an idea of a song or two (and the key you play it in) and we'll help walk you through some bassics, Wayne. Also, it will be helpful to know if you read music or know most of the notes available on the first 5 frets or so of each string.

Tell us what you need, and we'll try to make our help practical.

(Those who aren't religious, please allow this small transgression, or skip it - thanks) Oh, and on that practice/no practice thing, get your band members to memorize 2 Samuel 24:24, "I will not offer to the Lord that which costs me nothing." I think He deserves the best we can offer, and we can't do that without proper musical and spiritual preparation. (There, I'm done!)

cotten
Old 01-27-2005, 09:21 AM

That would be cool!! . . . I will get a few together tonight when I get home and list them with the keys. I want to look through and pick a couple. We have done so many songs that I dont have them memorized yet. I still rely on the song sheets.

I can read music. I am not very good at bass cleff yet but I can do it. I also know the notes on the first 5-6 frets on all the strings and can figure out more if needed. I also know the shapes/relationship for 3rd, 5th and octave . . . (ie: octave 2 strings higher and 2 frets up neck).
Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Thank you for not groaning out loud at my "walk you through some bassics" crack. I'm a lot funnier in my mind than I am in person.

I'm not a good bass player either, but I've been known to worry one occasionally. We have people here who are excellent players, and we enjoy helping each other more than most anything. Fire away!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell