The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Pls Advise - Should I buy top end Martin from the States thru the web?

I'm seriously considering ordering a Martin from the US without, obviously, seeing it beforehand. I have played a few in Australia but the prices are crazy. With the exchange rates at present I will make a substantial saving.

Has anyone out there ever bought an expensive guitar this way?
If so I look forward to hearing from you...the models I'm looking at are OM28V,OM42 or OM28CJuber. Also I would love to hear from anyone who has played any of these guitars as to what they think their strengths and weaknesses are.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 AM

I guess it depends on whats more important. Having a guitar you know you like, or taking a chance on a guitar to save some money. I'd gladly spend extra money on a guitar I can try first, but thats just my opinion.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-20-2005, 12:31 AM

I've imported an electric guitar, amp, and most recently an acoustic guitar which arrived yesterday. I've been very happy with every one of them. Obviously I saved a lot of money by importing them, but it also opened up a much wider range of products at the higher end of the market. I have never seen a Breedlove acoustic here in NZ, but I was able to import a beautiful C25 for the price of a new Taylor 314ce here. There is the risk of getting a dud, but it is a considerably lower risk to import a superbly crafted intrument than settling for what is available locally. The range available in Australia is slightly better than what we have here, where the best acoustic guitar available locally is a Taylor 110. The chance of finding another to compare it to is zero.

Unfortunately we just don't have the range here to ensure you don't get what some would consider a 'dud', even if it is the best and/or most expensive in the shop. If you're importing, I believe the risk is greater if you go to eBay. Read up as much as you can about the models you're interested, and recommended dealers for those instruments. Once you're ready to buy, give them a call and get their opinion, thoughts, and recommendations.

I believe you have to pay duty on guitars in Australia (we don't here), as well as GST, so don't forget to factor that into your cost.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:46 AM

I've just bought two guitars from the states ( on this very forum) without heard or felt them.

a j-200 from Joe ( Meridian)

and a

615ce from Trey ( Architext)

the thing i found hard was looking for cheap shipping
the 15 percent import tax and GST was a real bummer too!
2002 Larrivee LV72KK
2002 Taylor 615ce
2002 Fender Eric Clapton Blackie
2012 Gibson Hummingbird
[email protected]
Old 01-21-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
. . .OM28V,OM42 or OM28CJuber.
I don't know as I'd be too concerned about the 'dud factor' in these models. VERY reputable stuff these.

On several occasions I ordered guitars from Elderly. They have a two day trial period. If you change your mind, you can return the guitar again at your expense. In my case it was cheaper to do it that way than to drive 600 miles roundtrip to the nearest Martin dealer.

Perhaps you can arrange a similar deal.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:55 PM

I also recommend contacting Elderly. They are a "top" Martin dealer, have a great selection, and most importantly - a very good reputation.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Check out Maury at www.maurysmusic.com , he is a musician who sells Martin's and a few others part time. Call or e-mail him directly for best prices, he gives a great guitar forum discount and is 100% reliable, I just bought a Martin from Maury over the holiday's.

I envy your exchange rate! I import specialty food and it is killing my business right now. I sold a PRS on ebay this past November, and five of the top bidders including the winner were from countries using Euro Dollars.

David
Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Re: OMC-28LJ "Dud Factor" --

I tried out several at Elderly before I bought one yesterday. Of the group, a couple were good, but there was definitely one that was a dud.

My recommendation would be to ask the salesperson first what his experience is with the model or size you are looking for. If he/she's an electric player primarily, chances are they won't know what to listen for in the guitar. If they play acoustic, make sure they are a fingerstyle player. Pick players may miss some of the nuances that make the OM's great guitars.

Finally, ask them to play a couple of them and get their opinion on the differences between the guitars. I've found that most acoustic shops are more than willing to help you out and will give an honest opinion.

Good luck on your quest!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Business Casual

www.maurysmusic.com

This guy is a great Martin dealer...knows his stuff...and will work honestly with you. I was very picky about the Martin I was looking for and he was VERY understanding with all my questions and requests. I highly reccommend him. If you are looking for something specific he is always more than happy to help. He is also very honest about how a guitar sounds and feels. He seems to be very confident in the specific Martins he sells and understands what an intelligent buyer is looking for.He is located close to Martin as well which I think is beneficial to him when trying to acquire certain Martins....dont know though.

He frequents the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Tell him "Martin Daly" sent ya.

Good luck!

Oh yeah...the Martin OM-28v to me is the perfect guitar...which is the only guitar I currently own. Hopefully taxes wont take it away from me this year So thats my vote.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 AM

I have bought several high end instruments online and saved a lot of money. Of course I would like to try the instruments first but there just isn't that many to try out in my area like you.

If you get accurate descriptions and buy fairly new you can be pretty safe with Martin in my opinion although you may need to set it up but most likely you can find a local luthier to do that.

Also I always try to get a 48 hour approval on instruments that way if it really is a lemon you are just out the shipping and that better than nothing.

If someone won't give an approval time I am instantly suspicious and usually nix the deal.

Good Luck!

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Business Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b
Check out Maury at www.maurysmusic.com , he is a musician who sells Martin's and a few others part time. Call or e-mail him directly for best prices, he gives a great guitar forum discount and is 100% reliable, I just bought a Martin from Maury over the holiday's.

David
didnt even see this post....I agree! (obviously)
Old 01-23-2005, 05:37 PM

Unless you are dead set in buying a martin, you may want to check out Maton guitars. I've heard nothing but good things about them (though i dont know how much they cost) and they are made in Australia.

http://www.maton.com.au/

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 AM

Depending on the saving your making by importing, if worst came to the worst, and you didn't like the guitar, could you sell on locally and get some/all your money back? Just a rhetorical question, but one I would have thought worth considering as a back-up.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:13 PM

If he's been to any acoustic shops in Melbourne, he would have seen a Maton for sure. A lot of musicians use them but I don't particularly like them. When I lived in Singapore, I bought many guitars over the internet - a Taylor, Gibson, Shanti, Olson and the key is to have confidence in the person you're dealing with. I'd recommend Kim Sherman at Cotten Music if you wanted to go down that route. I've also heard good things about Dave at Guitar Adoptions and Maury at Maury's Music. How much is the import duty on the Martin?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion