The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 PM

Default opinions on martin 000-16srgt (12 fret 000)?

anyone have any experience with this model? i know that it is excellent for fingerstyle, but how is it when it comes to strumming and flatpicking?

also, has anyone compared it to the OM-16rgt or 000-16rgt? i'm guessing that these two are more versatile than the 000-16srgt. any opinions are appreciated.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:26 AM

Hi Bleumax,
I have had mine for a few months now. I can't help you much as I play just fingertips (no picks or nails) . Trying to play country blues and Clapton acoustic. It works very well for that. I think your comments on other styles might be correct and the wider string spacing might hinder strumming. I play mainly in the first 5-7 frets so 12 fret is not a problem for me. Instrument quality is great and sounds right to me for fingerpicking. Good luck.
RO-T16
Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 AM

Hi Bleumax--I have tried a few of these and they are very nice. However, I don't think they really did it for me when it came to flatpicking. Surprisingly, a friend showed me the JC-16's that Martin has been making and I really liked those. They don't feel very big due to the shape of the body. They play on your lap very well and they had a little better quality sound to me--more even than a lot of Martins I'd played.
I think there are some special edition 000-16's that have a narrower neck, if that is what you are looking for. Jack brings up a great point about string spacing and flatpicking. It really makes sense to me.
--Fred
Old 01-20-2005, 06:53 AM

Hi Bleu, I have and OM-16 and I really like the little rascal. I do some flat picking and I am trying to learn some fingerpicking and it seems to work out ok with me. The 12 fret 000 is going to have a little less string tension and that will make some differnce.
hope that helped some
charliep
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM

I suspect any wide necked 000 sloper would not be the ideal high speed flat picker. If you play flatpick tunes using a nashville finger style chicken picken technique you might make do . 000s that I have are ideal for fingerstyle and
strumming my new D 18GE is much more suited to both fingerstyle and flatpicking although the real die hard flatpickers still seem to gravitate to
inch and 11/16's dreads. Guess it has to do with speed factors which a wider
shorter neck might affect .

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 01-20-2005, 08:17 AM

I have the 000-16SGT and the CEO-5, which share the same 1 3/4" neck width and profile. I play a lot with the "Carter Brush" (fingers and thumbpick)
Both of these 12 fret jewels work wonderful. I also do "Travis" style fingerstyle. They work great for that, too. Some flat picking and strumming? ...NOT a problem.... NOT a problem... These guitars have some of the best tone out there. Very, very acoustic sound.
Remember, our Taylors are 1 3/4" necks, also.
Just my thoughts... but, you better grab one of these while you can......
Don.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 AM

anyone care to describe the tone on these? thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Woody, rich, blended, balanced.... Mid-range presence.... synergistic
Old 01-20-2005, 09:45 AM

I think its a great model...one of my favorites in the Martin lineup

14fret 0
12fret 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion