The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Question about the Lowden Tone

I have heard several forum members say that while they love the Lowden tone, it takes a while to get used to. What exactly does that mean? What makes Lowden dramatically different from other guitars?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:18 PM

Mine is rich and complex with a lot of overtones. I don't know that I have to get used to it, but it does require a different touch on fingerstyle stuff. Lighter I suppose. I mean I can dig in if I want, but it's so responsive that it allows me to bring out more subtleties if I lighten my touch a tad. But I don't think they require any more getting used to than any other guitar. That's just me anyway.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have heard several forum members say that while they love the Lowden tone, it takes a while to get used to. What exactly does that mean? What makes Lowden dramatically different from other guitars?

Paul...

Why not just listen to some soundclips on Youtube, or SoundCloud, or SoundClick and see what you hear and feel about the tone for yourself?

No matter what any of us says, you would have to like it for yourself at the end of the day...

...I thought you were all in for a Froggy???

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I’ve heard that said too, but it doesn’t chime with me - the first time I heard a Lowden, which was also the first time I played one (an O-12, back around 1997) I loved the sound and knew I had to have one. I’ve had three now, loved them all. No ‘taking time to get used to the sound’ necessary whatsoever - love at first listen.

As to how they differ from ‘other guitars’, try to get the opportunity to play one and you’ll hear it. It’s not a sound that’s for everyone, but that’s true of any guitar - I don’t personally like ‘the Taylor sound’, but a lot of people do and I wouldn’t dream of trying to tell them they’re wrong.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure it can be conveyed in words but I'll try...at least in my experience. First off, I'm a vintage voiced dread guy. So I love most Martin's. I had a Lowden O22c jumbo 17" lower bout(Cedar/Mahogany). Wonderful tone...great for fingerstyle. Big and lush (even with the mahogany) and could be strummed aggressively without breaking up even with the cedar top. If ever there was a "lap piano" this was it for me. I loved it but I never got "used" to it. Hope that makes some sense. I reluctantly sold it because I never played it and I do miss it on occasion. I strongly suggest playing several if you're interested. I will tell you up front...the voice is like a siren's song. It pulls you in. So deep and resonant. Nothing sharp or vintage sounding to it. But a wonderful guitar if that's what you're looking for. Fit and finish are impeccable. A fine instrument...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:29 PM

My first reaction was "too shimmery," but that was because I was used to pretty much Martins and more Martins. But as I got used to the Lowden tone I realized it's just beautiful--it's melodic, thick, modern, loud, rich, and complex.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:44 PM

I have an all mahogany Lowden S size and it has a lot of beautiful midrange overtones. It's a lot more complex than any other all-hog Martin I've played (don't currently own a -15). Simple answer--- overtones, complexity, shimmery but not bright to my ears.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Collings - Lowden comparison

Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Lowden is a very celtic sound. Avalon guitars are similar too. The trebles are very shimmery. They have a certain quality that's almost like an 8 course mandolin. The trebles are beautifully bright.

EDIT: It's probably not really like a mandolin at all - I'm just saying that because I was listening to some celtic music earlier and there was a mandolin in there. They have a very distinctive sound that suits celtic music though EDIT

These are some Avalons (just because I was looking at them earlier this evening when I saw one on ebay - not going to buy it though - my silver oak Larrivee has stolen my heart).

Mark Twain

Last edited by Lakewood_Lad; 03-06-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: I wanted to add stuff
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
Awesome! Amazing playing. Thanks for sharing!

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-06-2020, 06:50 PM

Default Have them washed and sent to my tent - and YES - each one is a Lowden

Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 PM

First of all, they don't all sound the same. When I purchased mine I tried the same model in similar wood to my rosewood Martin 000 and they were not worlds apart. Certainly the Lowden had more sustain and was a bit richer in overtones (if that helps), but I decided it wasn't different enough to go for that one.

Then I tried the African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood guitar that I immediately knew I would purchase. It was darker, warmer and all words that can only hint at that sound - plus the wonderful sustain.

My Martin is a truly sweet guitar, but I only play it once every couple of months since I brought the Lowden home.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-06-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Lowdens from the beginning were designed to have a balanced tone for fingerstyle. Each string has an even volume, no matter what size the model. I have 3 very different models....S35, LSE1, O22, and have played a couple others and they all have the balance.

So, earlier today I was playing my LSE1 stage model with thinner body. I had a capo on the 3rd fret and played through a number of country blues styles in C with alternating bass and melody notes around the high notes of the cowboy chord position. The ‘balanced’ Lowden sound allows me to thunder along and even dig right in some bass notes without it booming and blooming.

For this thread, I just grabbed my J50 and played exactly the same style and touch. Even though my J50 is not a booming type dread, the bass notes were way too loud for the style. It can be done, and has many times, but the thumb volume needs to be altered.

I then grabbed my D18 and it is very similar to the J50.....bass way too loud and boomy. But same as the J50, a few minutes to get used to it and a softer thumb.....

So in answer to your question, people that are use to a dread bass will take quite a while to get use to a Lowden ‘balanced’ tone. Same with my Taylor 717e, also designed to have a ‘balanced’ tone.....

(The Lowden necks are generally big chunky fingerstyle delights!)

BluesKing777.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 PM

Paul, the posts in this thread so far accurately describe the Lowden sound. What I would add is that all of the Lowden guitars I've had a chance to play have had lots and lots of sustain, more than I'm used to.

whm
Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 PM

I've owned a couple of Lowdens now, an O25c (jumbo size) and my current PB (F size) with Madagascar back/sides and an Adirondack top. I only mention the wood type because the PB model doesn't typically come with Madagascar.

To my ear, Lowdens are loud, very clear across all the strings and have a ton of sustain. They respond well to light fingerpicking and to strumming. I have never played anything else like them.

Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion