The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Default A session player from a by gone era

his name was John (Johnnie) Hohmann. He was a trumpet player from the big band days. He died Wednesday April 17th at age 90.

He played in bands with Tex Beneke, Ray Anthony, Artie Shaw, Charlie Barnett, Tommy Dorsey, among others.

He told me stories of touring with Judy Garland and recording with Nat King Cole.
He also played Las Vegas during the Rat Pack days.

He was my father in law, friend, and a gentleman.
My wife has asked me to share his memory with other musicians.

Thank you for reading. Have a Happy Easter.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM

The best solace I can offer is that Johnnie Hohmann is playing trumpet in the greatest all-star band there could ever be! Maybe I’ll get to meet him on the other side.
I’m very sorry for your wife’s and family’s loss.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Hi Westview,
I’m sorry for your family’s loss. How lucky you were to get to hear those stories!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Default bygone era

Westview...used to drive around the country for my job in the 70-80's and listened to Big band 8 track/cassettes. Loved the music of Glenn Miller, Dorsey brothers, Shaw, Goodman, etc. Would look at pictures of the bands, the individual musicians, and wonder about their lives. The music they produced that could take me to another time and place. I never met John Hohmann but must have heard him play many times without knowing it.

I envy you in that he probably told you a lot about the bands, the singers and the places they played. My mother is 92 and when she feels like talking, she'll tell me about the 40's when Scranton was a regular stop for the big bands and she and her friends, if they could scrape up the dollar for admission, would go to the dances at the local halls or armory.

My condolences to you and your family,,,,,,,he would have been an interesting man to talk to.

john
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Westview,
I’m sorry for your family’s loss. How lucky you were to get to hear those stories!
Thanks Jim,
He told me about a time he had a gig in North Carolina with Tommy Dorsey.
That night Jimmy Dorsey showed up. The two brothers had been feuding for years and not playing together. They shared the stage that evening and the place lit up. He said the band was tight and the show was magical.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Thanks Jim,
He told me about a time he had a gig in North Carolina with Tommy Dorsey.
That night Jimmy Dorsey showed up. The two brothers had been feuding for years and not playing together. They shared the stage that evening and the place lit up. He said the band was tight and the show was magical.
People close to you and stories they share are a treasure. Wonderful what you had together. My condolences to you and your family.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic