The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Saw the movie "It".

I was on a 5 hour flight to the west coast yesterday and the entertainment system had the 2017 Stephen King movie "It". I read the book back in 1987 (a year after it was released) and it was amazing. Perhaps my favorite King book.

It was a great movie but I wish I had waited to watch it on my large screen though the sound system rather than ear buds on a small screen.

Your thoughts on it? Is there a follow-up movie coming up (as the ending implied)?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:50 PM

Is this a remake of the movie I watched 15-20 years ago.?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedaisy View Post
Is this a remake of the movie I watched 15-20 years ago.?
There was a made for TV movie/miniseries back in 1990. Yes, it is based on the same Stephen King novel. Pennywise the Clown is the horror creature.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I liked the movie, though I also liked the mini-series as well. Both had their positive aspects, and both had negatives. The new "It" was much scarier in general, but also focused too much on THAT aspect versus the whole mental/psychological thriller part. There is indeed a second movie and it was filmed along with the first if I am not mistaken.

My 16 year old daughter likes the original better. My 14 year old daughter liked the new one better. I think I liked them both equally to be honest.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM

I saw the original. The first half of the movie was great and the "Pennywise" clown character was extremely frightening. When it was revealed what "It" actually was, my wife and I both thought it was completely hokey.
A lot of Stephen King's stories fail at the end...at least for us.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

I was expecting the 2018 version to be very poor, but I was very surprised on how much I liked it.

It reminded me of another SK classic movie ‘stand by me’. Young friends on adventure.

Overall I liked the movie quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I absolutely loved it.

I never saw the original mini series but I remember it was quite the cultural event.

I went back and watched the Shining with my kids. I kept telling them how intense it was and everyone (myself included) were "ho-hum" unimpressed. It hasn't aged well. I will say, however, the recreation done in Ready Player One was one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

My daughter and I went and saw the remake of Pet Semetary and didn't really love it. It was OK but we liked the original much better.

With that said about Steven King movies, It is my favorite horror movie of all time. I loved it and can't wait for part 2.

I won't talk about it because some folks might be encouraged to see it and I don't want to send any spoilers.

Loved this movie!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM

I'm certain that I watched the 1990 miniseries but I don't remember it at all. I didn't realize it was so well received. I'll have to try and find it.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up

"It was a great movie but I wish I had waited to watch it on my large screen though the sound system rather than ear buds on a small screen."

Dru...just did a 5 hour Atlanta/Sacramento with ear-buds....they're worthless. I now see why people bring their own over the ear head phones.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Salem’s Lot is the creepiest book and movies from Stephen King to me. The book is awesome.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
"It was a great movie but I wish I had waited to watch it on my large screen though the sound system rather than ear buds on a small screen."

Dru...just did a 5 hour Atlanta/Sacramento with ear-buds....they're worthless. I now see why people bring their own over the ear head phones.
Hey JPD, I actually had my own earbuds from my mobile phone, which are very good. The problem is that during scary parts I had to put the volume down to keep it from getting too loud and then put it up for vocals.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM

SprintBob,

Agree on Salem's Lot being the scariest book I have ever read.
A friend where I worked gave it to me many moons ago and I took it home to read it that night. Was a dark, windy night and a tree branch was scratching the window of my bedroom just as little vampire Ralphie Glick was scratching on the window and asking to be let in in the book and I had to put the book down and finish it only during the daylight hours. First book that actually and literally scared me.

Loved the book IT as well, but never saw the movie. Guess I need to.

Last edited by spock; 04-16-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM

I don't know how you all do it. I cannot watch a scary movie or a crime film with creepy murders. Every 10 years or so I convince myself that I can handle watching something that there's a lot of buzz about, and wind up wishing I hadn't. Last one like that was Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. Still hate thinking about that movie. I was a little tempted to see "It" but I'm glad I didn't! As for Salem's Lot...never!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I don't know how you all do it. I cannot watch a scary movie or a crime film with creepy murders. Every 10 years or so I convince myself that I can handle watching something that there's a lot of buzz about, and wind up wishing I hadn't. Last one like that was Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. Still hate thinking about that movie. I was a little tempted to see "It" but I'm glad I didn't! As for Salem's Lot...never!
Here's Johnny ... The Shining with Jack Nicholson was creepy. I watched it on tv at a buddy's house one night when I was 12 or 13 and it scared me. The walk home, which was only 2 houses away, was frightful and quick paced, lol.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Is there a follow-up movie coming up (as the ending implied)?
Yes this was part 1 of 2 movies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic