The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2004, 12:44 PM

Default What guitar ? Hmmmmmmmm !

I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar. I've owned some wonderful guitars (Santa Crux, Bourgeous, C Fox, Taylor) but they came and went depending on wether I needed acoustic or electric gear more at the time. My Electric rig is set so now I need an acoustic.

here are some criterion/ observations

needs to be under $1500 if possible. If the guitar is spectacular I'd be willing to go a bit higher.

I like extremely complex rich tone.
I like tight (but big) bottom end . . . just in guitars, not women !
I like the richness in the mids of the Taylor 710 (spruce).
I finger pick as much as strum.
I'll be using the guitar for recording, playing a jazz trio gig and in a worship & Praise setting . .so some form of electronics will be needed (maybe an I-Beam ?).
It needs to play really easy and low, I have a very light touch and don't like fighting a guitar.
I find the Taylor 615 or X14 body style the most confortable, but could live with a dread if the sound was better.
Full sounding, not muted . . really alive.

thanks for any info in advance.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:49 PM

i believe sully is selling a guitar that may be great for your purposes.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=52328
Old 10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

i just played the guitar that you described a couple weeks ago. When you mention "alive" this guitar came to mind. It was an Avalon L-25 and it blew me away. If the fall coco 814 I have coming doesnt live up to my expectations, I will be getting the Avalon.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 PM

Your criteria is almost identicle to what mine was before purchasing my Larrivee LV-09. I think you need to check out the LV-03R too. They are bigger than OMs and slightly smaller than a dread. Very good for both strumming and fingerstyle. They are incredible guitars for the money!! You definately want rosewood back and sides for that rich, lower end.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:12 PM

Hey dankayaker,
My advise would be play as many guitars as possible and pick the one that sings to you. I would suggest you try: Goodall, Tacoma, Froggy Bottom, Larrivee, just to mention a few.....
By the way WELCOME to the AGF!!!!! See you around the forum!
Russ
Old 10-11-2004, 02:13 PM

I just got a gibson songwriter deluxe. It has that tight bottom end you speak of. This guitar needs a good setup before you really judge it though. I just got mine setup and it is wonderful. It has an active fishman under the saddle bridge. Sounds beautiful plugged in or not. Give it a shot before you judge. I would have never played this guitar because I assumed that it would be dark like every other gibson acoustic I've played.

danman
Old 10-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Thanks everyone,

I've enjoyed visiting here. I've played a lot of acoustics but some of the
smaller shop guitars are no where to be found near where I live.

I had a Bourgeous Slope D I should have never parted with . . but.

Anyways, I'll check into an Avalon and a Larrivee.
One thing I guess I should reiterate, the guitar has to be able to play really low ( no fret issues allowed). That's a pet peeve of mine. A guitar of this price should have perfectly level frets.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:32 AM

I hope I didn't mislead you to believe that the gibson has uneven frets. The guitar just needed the bridge to be lowered. The fretwork is perfect. This is a professional handmade guitar is every way. It is not unusual to need a general setup on a new guitar. I would reccomend it on all guitars purchased new. With a few custom exceptions.

After setup my guitar plays fantastic. If you lived in feasterville, PA I would make you come over to see for yourself.....it is beautiful.

danman
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM

thanks danman !

Didn't mean to leave your suggestion out, my fault.

My local shop actually has a few Gibson's I need to check out.

thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 08:44 AM

i, too, was pleasantly surprised when i found my gibson songbird deluxe (same as the songwriter). when i purchased the gibby, i was initially dead set on buying a taylor. i tried 10 plus taylors, but i ultimately had to buy my gibby. the taylors were nice, but the gibson had some extra oomph that i wasn't expecting...

that said, gibsons are known for being somewhat inconsistent even w/ the same model. i think that's changing...

in fact, i played two gibson songbird deluxes when looking, and the one i bought was far better than the other one i tried.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion