The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Just a quick re-introduction

Hello all - I used to frequent these forums when it was just the Taylor Guitar Forum. My interest in car tuning has kinda dominated my online research time, but now that I'm looking for another guitar (weeeeeee!), this is one of the first places I came back to. There was always lots of nice folks here, and I'm glad to see that hasn't changed.

A quick note on my background - I'm 23, and have been playing for about 11 years. I started out on electric, but about 5 years ago sold all my goodies and trimmed it down to just wood and steel. My musical interests are extensive, but my true passion lies in instrumental guitar ie. Michael Hedges, Don Ross, Pierre Bensusan, John Renbourn, Django Reinhardt, Tim Reynolds, Paco DeLucia/John McLaughlin/Al DeMeola etc. I'm also quite into acoustic singer/songwriters like Dave Matthews (especially his work with Tim Reynolds) Sam Beam (aka Iron & Wine) Will Oldham (aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy) etc.

I really look forward to obsessing with you all

BTW - past acoustics have been Larrivee D-09 and a wonderful Santa Cruz OM in Sitka/Rosewood. I am currently looking at something new, and have almost decided on a Taylor 610-ce in Tobacco Burst - a guitar which I would have never expected to enjoy so much before I actually played one. I have always been more of a rosewood guy but WOW, this guitar blew me away. The only thing holding me back from this is a dealer about 3 hours from here. He stocks Lakewood guitars, and insists that I will be blown away by their instruments. I have always been curious about them since hearing Dave Matthews play one on Live @ Luther College, and have more recently seen/heard a few clips that made me think twice about pulling the trigger on the Taylor just yet. I'm planning a trip to go check them out soon, most notibly the M-32 and M-54 models. I'm looking for a guitar that can handle everything from hard strumming for vocal accompaniment to fingerstyle to alternate tunings. I read as much as I could find here in the archives, but comments are always welcome

OK I'm done now, I promise!

Ryan
currently GUITARLESS (insert gasp here)
Old 10-09-2004, 10:08 AM

Ryan, welcome back! I have a Taylor 610, and I've played several Lakewood guitars. I used to live about an hour from the factory in Germany. They are definitely two different animals. The Taylor sounds, well, like a Taylor. The maple back and sides are really terrific if you like to "plug in". My 610 is my #1 guitar for gigging out. At least with mine, the bass response isn't lacking a thing. To my ear, the Lakewoods sound rather Martinesque. As far as construction goes, I think Taylor is a little more precise.
Anyway, enjoy the hunt, and try everything you can get your hands on before you make up your mind. You may wind up walking out with something different. Have fun!

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 10-09-2004, 10:30 AM

Hi Ryan, welcome back!

The 610 is just about my favorite Taylor. A TobaccoBurst one would be sweet!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 AM

Thanks guys!

The 610 really suprised me. I have always been a rosewood guy because my taste leans towards fuller/darker sounding guitars. Basically, what I'm looking for is a more full bodied, open tone. The 610 I played is great because as jonesbrass states, it isn't lacking in bass like I expected it to. Plus, it has great balance and clarity. It was perfect for fingerstyle all the way up the neck, but was just slightly lacking from what I am used to when strumming a guitar. It was loud, just a little more bright than I like. I suspect switching the Elixers for John Pearse PBs would help that.

I want a guitar that is somewhere in between Martin and Taylor tonewise (I use these brands because most people are more familiar with them) that has the playability of a Taylor. I've read similar descriptions from Lakewood owners, so I cannot physically make a decision until I at least try one! I find the M series very appealing, especially the 32 and 54 models. I love an OM style guitar that can bark - thats what I liked about my SCGC OM. I'm hoping to be blown away by the Lakewoods like a lot of players seem to be, but if not at least I can stop thinking about it
Old 10-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Hi,

Welcome. I have sent you a pm re some guitars in your area.

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion