The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Powered speakers with built in time alignment delay?

My interest in powered speakers at this point is to augment my Schertler Roy on larger gigs where I need more dispersion. An immediate problem when you do this is phase alignment between the onstage amplification and front of house speakers.

I have a Mackie DLM12 with a built in time alignment delay. It works fine, but I’d rather have something with a more directional high frequency driver.

Do any other speakers other than the DLM series have built in time alignment delay? If so, which ones?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM

QSC K10s have this, but haven’t actually used it.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM

It might be better to do and control this at the mixer. The QSC Touchmix mixers all include output delay setup (in feet, meters or milliseconds) to align FOH speakers with the backline. See pp 13 in the Touchmix manual...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 PM

If you are using a mixer you only need time alignment if you have speakers at different distances between the stage and audience. Typically you only need this with deep rooms. With a typical PA setup you wouldn't need to bother with time alignment.

With a powerful stage amp and a speaker in a front of house position time alignment would avoid phase issues between the stage and front of house speakers.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM

If your amp is 20 feet back of the FOH speaker (that's a deep stage!), your delay is less than 20 milliseconds. No one in the audience is going to know, specially if your amp is turned to a reasonable level and most of the sound is coming from the PA. This pretty much negates any phase issues, too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If your amp is 20 feet back of the FOH speaker (that's a deep stage!), your delay is less than 20 milliseconds. No one in the audience is going to know, specially if your amp is turned to a reasonable level and most of the sound is coming from the PA. This pretty much negates any phase issues, too.
Yes, I understand what you're saying, but in this case the Schertler Roy would be acting as sort of a combo FOH/monitor. The time aligned PA speaker would be just for deeper rooms where the Roy alone wasn't enough. I might even put the time-aligned speaker a little deeper into the house. I don't know. Right now I am just thinking of possible options for when the Roy by itself isn't quite enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification