The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Default NGD: Taylor 562ce 12-string

I went into a guitar shop in Laguna Beach that I've been meaning to visit to pick up some new strings and check out what they had in stock. No intention of buying, I swear.

Of course I walked over to the wall of guitars and noodled around with different brands and models. On the wall was a Taylor 562ce. I picked it up, having only played a 12-string guitar once before in my life. I have always been intimidated by 12-string guitars-- playability for my limited skill, string changes, tuning, etc. I gave it a light strum and was stunned.

I sat with the guitar for a good half hour trying to come up with any reason for me to put it down and walk away. I couldn't do it. And the fact that it was on sale at a significant reduction from its regular price was the nail in the coffin for me.

A few observations:
1. I played the guitar for over 3 hours straight when I got home, with absolutely no pain in my fingers, which I expected because of the amount of strings. The 12 fret, grand concert size makes this a remarkably comfortable instrument to play.
2. 12-string guitars, on video, often seem too much for me. I don't know if people try to overplay them, or if I am not accustomed to the sound. In person, I have the opposite experience. This guitar is reserved but keeps the volume that you would want in a "couch guitar" and forces me to be very mindful of hitting the strings the right way to make the most out of the double string at each note. This is going to make me a better guitar player on even my 6-strings.
3. One of my least favorite chords is d-minor. I only play it when it is absolutely necessary. On this 12-string guitar, it is angelic. My favorite chord. So strange.

No pics to post as I don't have an external site to link to, but it looks exactly like every photo I've seen of this model. Just extraordinary.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Default NGD: Taylor 562ce 12-string

Congratulations on your Taylor 12. They’re phenomenal Guitars and the easiest to play. Be sure to use the recommended Light strings when replacing them. I have a 454ce and love it.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM

The 562ce I tried was an amazing guitar. Crazy good sound in a compact size. Congrats!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
No pics to post as I don't have an external site to link to...
Congratulations, SoCal! If you want to post pictures without a membership here or an external host, all you need is the Tapatalk app. Works great!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511949
Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM

This is a 12-fret model eh, which contributes a lot to playabaility and improved tone of 12-string. Slotted headstock might make this even more appealing. I haven't seen one offered at a reasonable (for me) price though, but congrats on your NGD.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:33 PM

@SoCalSurf: Congratulations on the new 562ce. I had a similar "oh, wow" experience when I played one a couple of summers ago, while waiting for them to find and then re-string a Martin M36 for me to try out (around 45 minutes). At the time, I still owned an Ovation Pacemaker 12 and a Godin A12 (both since sold). In a rare display of self control, I walked out without either guitar, but the 562ce really tugged at me.

@merlin666: The Ovation was a 12-fret slothead, which really helped with playability (as on the 562ce), but the deep bowl turned out to be a bear as my shoulder aged. And, if changing 6 strings on a slothead seems like a chore to some people...

Last edited by Long Road Home; 08-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Sounds like you fell under the spell of 12 strings. Way to go!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

I picked up a used 562ce on this forum a few months ago, and totally love it!!! Great guitar. Not as big a sound as an older 555, but it's soooo much more comfortable to play. And, sounds great!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I picked up a used 562ce on this forum a few months ago, and totally love it!!! Great guitar. Not as big a sound as an older 555, but it's soooo much more comfortable to play. And, sounds great!
It's all that and more. On the infrequent occasions that I see one come up in the AGF classifieds, I hold my breath and hope that somebody buys it quickly, so thanks for buying that one.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM

It was at The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach where I had my Taylor 562ce 12-string revelation back in April or May, and have just got around to ordering the new V-class version -- which I hope is even better.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Congrats!

I do think people tend to overplay 12 strings. Like dreadnoughts, people get really caught up in how loud the guitars are. But you can get some beautiful tones out of a good 12 string guitar, and those Taylors are so playable. Have fun!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the 12-string, SoCal. Taylor makes amazing 12-string guitars. Your point about overplaying them is a good one; I found that I enjoyed them most when I underplayed (finger style like Hotel California) rather than overplayed (heavy strumming) them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-20-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
No pics to post as I don't have an external site to link to...
You don’t need ”an external site to link to...”, you’re a Charter Member, you can embed pics straight off your computer/tablet/smartphone. Here are the instructions, copied from the first pinned post in this section...

”Charter members may post their pictures as attachments by...

1. Ensure file is jpg or jpeg, no larger than 600x600, and 1MB (the system will automatically resize larger images in some, but not all, cases)

2. Click on the paperclip icon

3. Click on "Choose File." Browse to the location of the file on your computer, hit "Open," and then hit "Upload"

4. Click the "Close this window" text

5. Click the paperclip icon again and click on the attachment that shows in the drop down menu. This will insert the image inline

To manage your attachments go to User Control Panel--Miscellaneous--Attachments. The attachment system also works with mobile browsers, if one prefers not to use the AGF app.”

And remember The Golden Rule - “Without pics, it never happened!”.

Hope this helps.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Couple of footnotes for the Grand Concert 12 string guitars. I'm pretty sure that none of them have slot-heads. And that they are all short scaled (24+7/8"). The short scale makes it much easier to play since there is less tension on the strings.

Some play notes: I also think they made maybe 5 or 6 of them, 4 of more recent vintage. I've played 3 or 4 and liked every one I played. My favorite among the ones I played is the 552ce, cedar over mahogany. But I have more than enough 12 string goodness at the moment.
?
Nah !!!?

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
You don’t need ”an external site to link to...”, you’re a Charter Member, you can embed pics straight off your computer/tablet/smartphone. Here are the instructions, copied from the first pinned post in this section...

...And remember The Golden Rule - “Without pics, it never happened!”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch for your help! However, this thread was resurrected and I have become a charter member since the NGD posting.

And ironically, you can find pictures of this guitar here (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=553815), as it is listed in the classifieds for sale. As described in that listing, I have since purchased a Gibson SJ-200 12-string and regrettably have to downsize my herd. I do stand by my original observations of the Taylor, though. It remains a wonderful, comfortable guitar to play.

I appreciate everybody's posts nonetheless!
Preston Thompson: O Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion