The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Guest 928

Default CF consistency

My part of the world has in been in the 115 degree range, with 75% humidity. In the old days, before CF, tuning a wooden nylon strung guitar would be painful. My Rainsong Parlor, Emerald X10-OSN, and my Emerald X7, thin-bodied, nylon string electric, all take minimum tuning from day to day. I suspect the strings account for any need to tune. Life is good in CF nylon world.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

It has been in the upper 50s to upper 60s today in the Black Hills, with thunderstorms, rain, and hail. My X7 laughs at this weather. I'll go out when it lets up to see if the CR-V and the motorhome are laughing.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It has been in the upper 50s to upper 60s today in the Black Hills, with thunderstorms, rain, and hail. My X7 laughs at this weather. I'll go out when it lets up to see if the CR-V and the motorhome are laughing.
Hey Jim, where are you? I grew up in Lead, and while I don't get back there as often as I'd like, it's been interesting to hear my parents tell stories about the crazy weather lately. We've gotten a lot more rain than usual here on the other side of the state, but nothing like what's happening in the hills.

In any case, I love having my X20 with all the temperature and humidity swings lately. It's my go-to guitar, especially when traveling, and always great to have along. I really want to get another one someday.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Hey Jim, where are you? I grew up in Lead, and while I don't get back there as often as I'd like, it's been interesting to hear my parents tell stories about the crazy weather lately. We've gotten a lot more rain than usual here on the other side of the state, but nothing like what's happening in the hills.

In any case, I love having my X20 with all the temperature and humidity swings lately. It's my go-to guitar, especially when traveling, and always great to have along. I really want to get another one someday.
We are south of Rapid City (Hart Ranch). We lived in Spearfish for a couple decades, so we are familiar with the area and the weather... yeah, it has been some crazy swings this summer, including hail near Spearfish and Piedmont that had to be cleared with road graders. On one of our scoot rides about 10 days ago, there was still hail piled up like snow (the next day) on the side of the road between Keystone and Hill City.

This is the greenest I have ever seen the Hills at the end of July.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:41 AM

What I like is playing a three set gig and only tuning the low E in and out of drop D. Otherwise just a strum of the open strings at the beginning of a set to to confirm it's still in tune.

While my duo partner fiddles away tuning his Taylor or Martin over and over.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM

When I used to go to the Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp (great camp but I no longer travel by air) the campfire jams would often start out at 65-70°. By the wee hours it might get down to 45°F. My Rainsong was the only guitar there that was not constantly re-tuning throughout the evening as the temperature changed.

In general, the whole guitar might drift up or down a couple of cents on the electronic tuner, but it stayed in tune with itself.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Earl; Nice observation and well said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber