The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Wood and Steel and the Short Scale Guitar

Call me a cynic, but stand by for the move toward shorter scale guitars. Kurt Lustig's comment in the latest Wood & Steel, " Bob's unending tweaking, observing, and inventing. You'll be floored when you play one of these new short-scale guitars. The improvement to our guitars is that dramatic." (Italics mine). So my cycnicism lies in the fact that Bob is continuing to reinvent a need for Taylor guitars, which, I guess, is what business is all about. Still, I suspect that there will be a flood of threads about short-scale, a rush to the stores to determine if last year's Taylor should be thrown out with the bath water.

I've got an XXX-RS. The short scale is nice. I like my 814C too, however. In light of all the threads about the purported "slip" in Taylor quality lately, perhaps Bob should take stock before expanding like a supernova. 5xx short-scale and 7xx's now - the rest soon to come.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Untitled Traditional

Well,

From what I've been told from my Taylor dealer, the move will possibly be to offer a short scale as an option on all guitars in the future. Whether it's a good or bad thing, I'll reserve judgement on, because I haven't heard the fall limited models, yet.

I do like the XXX anniversary short scale guitars. But they also have a slotted headstock which also changes the "feel" of a guitar.

It also depends on how well the short-scale guitars sell. If no one buys them, they'll disappear soon enough.

BTW, I seem to remember two dealers I knew "back when" bemoaning the x14 series. Who wants another guitar shape?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:30 AM

And next year they will revoice the x14's and then the used market will be even more saturated than it is currently. ahhh, oh well...
Old 08-05-2004, 09:12 AM

I love my short scale XXX MC. I got a 510CE Short scale coming in today. I am interested in seeing how the medium strings work on a short scale.
I love the concert XXXMC Short scale. It is so much easier to play.A Lot less effort to fret the strings. If the 510 with medium guage is as easy to play I will probably switch to short scale only, due to my arthitis. On vacation recently, I played my MC all day long except for maybe 2 hours, and my fingers didn't bother me at all. I will let you know what I think about the 510ce SS. dink

Last edited by dink; 08-05-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:35 AM

Please, what does "short scale" mean. I don't understand - is it a shorter neck? As in my 12fret Larrivee as opposed to my 14fret Taylor?
thanks,
confused gg

* 2oo4 Taylor 512ce
* 2004 Taylor Baby M
*1996 Larrivee 00-05
Old 08-05-2004, 10:21 AM

Well,

When I bought my 514 I was thinking this thing would be great if it had a shorter scale (I have often liked 000-18's and some of the other short scale acoustics I have played). I think that the relaxed tension will make the guitar better for a more rock blues style i.e. bending and hammering. Though all of my guitars are currently longer scales I like the idea or a short scale GA.

I'm interested.

I might be one of those who trades (can you say Buffalo Brothers)
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gal
Please, what does "short scale" mean. I don't understand - is it a shorter neck? As in my 12fret Larrivee as opposed to my 14fret Taylor?
thanks,
confused gg
Yup, the fretboard is shorter as is the length from the nut to the bridge.

Your 12 fret Larry is probably short scale.

The 2 standards are 25.4" and short scale at 24.9"

What a difference a half an inch makes!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:25 AM

Thanks, makes sense to me now..
I find that I actually like the longer scale of the Taylor - weird because I was always looking for shorter, being a short person, but the neck on the Taylor is just very comfortable, maybe the waist difference helps too.....but the Larrivee now feels a bit like I'm scrunching up in the arms...well, given that maybe a 512 short scale would be the best of both worlds..

Thanks again for the explanation!

* 2oo4 Taylor 512ce
* 2004 Taylor Baby M
*1996 Larrivee 00-05
Old 08-05-2004, 11:05 AM

I actually called Taylor customer service after playing one of the new short scale necks @ Gryphon a few weeks ago. Having to live with arthritis in both hands this option would make such a difference to me. Now the xxx model I played is just not for me but I am interested in a 514c or 714c with a cedar top in the future.

That's why I called them, to see if I could order it on a 14 body. The answer was no. Of course I understand that the slow intergration of new ideas at Taylor is a time tested practice. I do hope there comes a time when it is a standard option for folks with weakened or tender hands. It's no fun when you can't play what you are use to because your fingers & hands don't move like they once did. I get around just fine on that short scale though.......it's a reason for some hope! Hope it becomes an option soon.

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 08-05-2004, 11:17 AM

A good friend, the best player I know, recently switched from Taylor to a 000 Martin to get the shorter scale. His left hand had started going numb with the Taylor, but he has no such problems, even with extended playing of the Martin. I prefer Taylors, so I'd like to see the option across more of the line as well.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 PM

Both of the following statements are true: (1) Taylor is hyping short-scale guitars in order to increase its revenues; and (2) short-scale guitars are a really great option (both for tone and playability) for some people.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Are these more of a fingerstyle guitar vs. strummer?
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 PM

Ok I have been playing my new short scale 510ce 2004 ltd and it is the bomb!! For all of you fellow arthritis sufferes this is the real deal. I have a XXX MC and this one and both are easier to play vs. a standard scale Taylor. Less fretting pressure by the fingers. I can't really tell if there is much of a tone difference from a standard scale 10 model. But man is it easier to play chords, single notes and barre chords. The MC is the easiest to play due to the light guage strings but the mediums (which are my preferred string for sound) are as easy to play or maybe easier to play than a set of lights on a standard scale Taylor. This is the bomb. IMHO, The new concert body and the new scale length are the best new developments that Taylor has come up with for their guitars. I will probably sell this one because I prefer the sound of Rosewood over mahogany. I couldn't get a rosewood SS 710ce for a few more weeks.

Last edited by dink; 08-06-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:14 PM

so i'm still confused. which makes the greatest difference in terms of ease of play, being 12-fret or being short scale? which item eases the string tension most?

/guy
Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 PM

Location: Playing guitar (or piano, or bass, or drums, or singing....)

The short scales are a VERY cool guitars...easier to play, better tone (IMHO)
of the forgiven and the lost
of the redeemed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion