The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Seriously considering a Breedlove purchase

I am Jonesing for a Breedlove Atlas as a travel guitar. I am getting concerned that my Taylors will be damaged when I take them out to the pool/park/etc, and would like to expand my "woodpile" to include either an AC200SM (concert size) or an AD200 SM (dreadnought), probably leaning toward the concert unless the volume/dynamics favor the dread considerably. It appears that I can get into one of these "without too much financial strain" (edited per response suggestion).

Any thoughts/advise/concerns from the forumn members before I go to the store tomorrow? How about neck width (seems to be a concern in some threads-I love my 414 neck and would hope to replicate). I am looking for some objectivity here, in that I have another bad case of G.A.S.

Regards,

Bret

Last edited by BLenmark; 08-04-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM

The Breedlove Atlas series seems to be a pretty good value. I played a few of the solid top and back models and I have to say I was very impressed. If I was looking for a low/mid priced dred at the moment, I would give serious consideration to the AD20/SR myself. In fact I almost picked one up before I bought my 310 Taylor.

Some things to consider:
- These guitars are manufactured off shore with some inspection and set-up work done domestically. Not a big deal IMO. Would probably hurt resale at the "top" of the Atlas line, but at the bottom shouldn't be that much of a concern.
- Fit and finish seems to be quite good.
- On the model you are looking only the top is solid...the rest is laminate. IMO this is preferable to some extent in a travel guitar (less reaction to heat/humidity than solid and a little more durable).
- Seem to be a bit on the heavy side.

BTW, you might want to edit and remove that bit about the price. Being vague does not get you around the pricing discussion rule.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 08-04-2004, 10:09 PM

You're right to be concerned about the nut width, cos it's a 1 11/16" nut compared to the standard 1 3/4" on Taylors. I have an AC25/SM, and the neck is pretty narrow, seems to have a tighter string spacing even compared to a Garrison that I tried (with a 1 11/16" nut as well). So if you won't have the chance to try one out before buying it, I'd take that into consideration if you're a stickler for room to place your fingers.

Still, I'd say these are the best Korean-made guitars out there. It definitely won't win in the volume department, but if all it serves is as a personal travel guitar, then it's something you should seriously consider.
'15 Fender AmStd Stratocaster SB
Old 08-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

I have the AD25/SM and like it very much. I have no problem switching back and forth with my K20CE. I bought it to keep it at the church, for a backup during praise & worship (in case of string breakage) and for travel.

I'm very pleased with it - especially considering the price.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 08-05-2004, 02:47 PM

Report from the woodshed:

I played a couple of AC 200s and an AD20, and had no issues with the neck width as compared to my 414 or 310 (a big concern for many). I did find that the action was higher than i would have hoped, but that is fixable in an afternoon with some sandpaper and elbow grease). I liked the tone of the D slightly better, but the C was by far more comfortable to play in my arms and would probably be my choice. Neck radius was fine, string spacing fine, neck was straight, frets were level, perhaps could have used a little dressing. I would like to try an AD 200 before I drop the hammer on the AC 200. Tuners were nice, I think they are grovers (?), and didn't slip, seemed quality (for an Asian made guitar, not cheap knock offs).

Cosmetically, the 200 was spartan but utilitarean, interesting fretboard ornamentation. It had a nice matte finish, the 20 had a gloss.

Tone was nice, sweet, balanced. Overall, a very nice guitar, especially for the $

Only problem was I was put in a quiet room filled with high end Breedloves, Gibsons, Larrivees, etc. Also had a 1948 J-200 and an old Everly Bros Jumbo, and some other niceties. I ended up walking out without making a final determination...I am going to take a buddy along for an objective perspective on my next trip.

B
Old 08-05-2004, 04:01 PM

I owned an AD20/SR Plus for several months and enjoyed it a great deal. The nut width didn't bother me, and the guitar's construction, finish, playability, and sound were all fantastic. Very good guitars...

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion