The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-30-2017, 01:20 AM

Default How bad is this scenario?

So my bridge is starting to come up. I can fit the tip of a standard sheet of paper a couple of millimeters or less under the back of B and E strings. Guitar has always been properly humidified.

The guitar is under warranty. I assume this is covered. I’m dreading sending it in as it’s my only guitar and best friend. I was gonna wait a couple of weeks. Is that stupid? Is this an emergency for the guitar at all? It’s hide glue don’t know if that makes it a harder job.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 AM

Some guitars remain stable for years like that, but I would have it fixed ASAP, as it can only get worse, not better. I had to have one of mine done recently.

What make is it? I'm trying to remember something about recent Martin bridges being designed with an unglued space around the edge of the bridge.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Isn't it that the area that's scraped is slightly smaller than the footprint of the bridge, not bigger? Therefore the bare-wood area doesn't extend right to the edge of the bridge, which makes for a less-secure glue-bond where the bridge is bedded on lacquer?

I might have that completely AA-F though!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-30-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Isn't it that the area that's scraped is slightly smaller than the footprint of the bridge, not bigger? Therefore the bare-wood area doesn't extend right to the edge of the bridge, which makes for a less-secure glue-bond where the bridge is bedded on lacquer?

I might have that completely AA-F though!
That is what I thought was the general idea in newer Martins (I can't say I like it), but I don't know how widespread the practice is.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:45 AM

Im no bridge expert but have repaired a few , with basic Wood Glue, and a couple dictionarys on top for a few days , I wouldnt think the glue would be applied to lacquer . should be bare wood on guitar face and bridge side , but maybe you're correct and they dont protect ( mask off ) bare wood face at the Bridge section before gluing . My simple fixes have held up , being sanded wood to wood

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 12-30-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:47 AM

It's gonna be your word against theirs, as to who's at fault. I would just get it fixed myself.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
It's gonna be your word against theirs, as to who's at fault. I would just get it fixed myself.
depends upon what brand it is. If a Taylor, for example, I predict zero argument.

I can't imagine how humidification issues are a cause for bridge lifting. Bridges should never lift. This is a manufacturing defect and nothing a user can do can cause that (except using significantly higher gauge strings than it's rated for)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
depends upon what brand it is. If a Taylor, for example, I predict zero argument.

I can't imagine how humidification issues are a cause for bridge lifting. Bridges should never lift. This is a manufacturing defect and nothing a user can do can cause that (except using significantly higher gauge strings than it's rated for)
Possibly over-humidification causing excessive "belly" on the top.

It is a practice by many manufacturers, even high end luthiers, to relieve the edge of the bridge by milling a .001" or so deep rebate, about 1/16" or so in. This corresponds with a thin section masked, or milled or scraped off the finish to the wood.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Possibly over-humidification causing excessive "belly" on the top.

That makes sense but I imagine it would have to be very extreme bellying to separate the bridge.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
That makes sense but I imagine it would have to be very extreme bellying to separate the bridge.
The bridge wouldn't separate, there simply is no glue in the tiny perimeter around the bridge, so when the top bellies, the gap becomes...
Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Nah, I had a bridge lift on a H&D once and there was no noticeable bellying at all on the top.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Nah, I had a bridge lift on a H&D once and there was no noticeable bellying at all on the top.
Yes so I would think yours wasn't caused by bellying, right?

Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Is the gap more or less uniform all along the back edge of the bridge? That would be slightly overcut rebate, or an overcut rebate with some glue squeeze out if the gap is less uniform.
et al
Old 12-30-2017, 03:41 PM

Wow -- many of these posts seem like personal speculation from people with little knowledge of guitar bridges. Beware! No bridge is supposed to come up to any noticeable degree at all. All the speculations as to causes are pretty much irrelevant. It shouldn't happen. This is a warranty issue and a warranty repair, and I think you would be a fool to wait and see if it gets worse, or if you can fix it (trust me: wood glue and a stack of books is nuts) or there's some weird cause for it other than the simplest and most likely: a poor glue job during construction. Contact the company, explain your bridge is lifting, and arrange for them to fix it. It's an easy warranty repair; letting it go can create exciting, complicated, and sometimes really unfortunate and unfixable consequences later. If it's gone for a week, you can use the time to make another best friend -- a human, perhaps.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Wow -- many of these posts seem like personal speculation from people with little knowledge of guitar bridges. Beware! No bridge is supposed to come up to any noticeable degree at all. All the speculations as to causes are pretty much irrelevant. It shouldn't happen. This is a warranty issue and a warranty repair, and I think you would be a fool to wait and see if it gets worse, or if you can fix it (trust me: wood glue and a stack of books is nuts) or there's some weird cause for it other than the simplest and most likely: a poor glue job during construction. Contact the company, explain your bridge is lifting, and arrange for them to fix it. It's an easy warranty repair; letting it go can create exciting, complicated, and sometimes really unfortunate and unfixable consequences later. If it's gone for a week, you can use the time to make another best friend -- a human, perhaps.

Thank you. I think hide glue is temperamental and hopefully I’ve caught it early enough to get it taken care of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair