The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2017, 02:36 AM

Default $trapped Newbees

I realize many on this forum have reached wealth beyond compare, just looking at their momentous collections of guitars . What about the new guy or gal wanting to learn , being any age , but doesnt have funds for a Martin D-18 or otherwise to learn . Or may not have $600 for a medium range acoustic . I would suggest the Epi DR100 ( NAT , black , burst ) around a C note . I briefly owned one to try and was amazed at the Loud Volume that Lam produced . With a new nut and saddle , great set of strings , set up this could take someone into the beginning of alot of enjoyment . A definite sleeper for the price . Check out the You Tubes - havent heard a bad word one . Am not affiliated in anyway , just from my own experience . Expensive guitars can be a little over rated . I know I've had Dozens and many times , was not impressed .

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 12-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:47 AM

This is the golden age of guitars right now... there are a lot of very nicely made, excellent sounding guitars available for just a few hundred dollars. Perfect for the beginner or someone who just doesn’t want to spend more than that.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:08 AM

Can't say enough about my Yammies and agreed there are many different tastes and price points here.

Everyone has their own opinion and buy what they want and can afford, that's what makes the world go round.

Will I EVER own a $3500 guitar. No. But I can enjoy listening to the ones that do.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 12-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
This is the golden age of guitars right now... there are a lot of very nicely made, excellent sounding guitars available for just a few hundred dollars. Perfect for the beginner or someone who just doesn’t want to spend more than that.
Yes! The important thing is to just play. The rest will take care of itself over time.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:45 AM

The guitar I learned on in the 80s was a monster. I'm amazed that I ever learned to play at all. Now there are tons of "cheap" guitars that play great, sound great, and stay in tune.

Ibanez, Alvarez, Epiphone, Yahama, plus many others all have great budget-friendly guitars.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure how accurate "wealth beyond compare" is. For many, I believe, it's a matter of priorities, willingness to go into debt, and/or getting to the point in life where we/they are willing to do what it takes to own what we/they want. I don't have cable tv or a fancy smartphone or a landline, don't smoke or drink or do illicit drugs, and Medicare keeps medical costs down. I don't own my home and have a pretty reasonable rent meaning that I don't incur any of the hidden costs of home ownership. Wealth beyond compare? I think not. Do I own some nice guitars? Definitely. As Dhart said, there are plenty of great guitars out there in the <$1000 range, and I've owned many of them over the years....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
I realize many on this forum have reached wealth beyond compare, just looking at their momentous collections of guitars . What about the new guy or gal wanting to learn , being any age , but doesnt have funds for a Martin D-18 or otherwise to learn . Or may not have $600 for a medium range acoustic . I would suggest the Epi DR100 ( NAT , black , burst ) around a C note . I briefly owned one to try and was amazed at the Loud Volume that Lam produced . With a new nut and saddle , great set of strings , set up this could take someone into the beginning of alot of enjoyment . A definite sleeper for the price . Check out the You Tubes - havent heard a bad word one . Am not affiliated in anyway , just from my own experience . Super expensive guitars can be a little over rated . I know I've had Dozens and many times , was not impressed .
Most of us started out on inexpensive guitars like the $12 Silvertone from Sears circa 1965 in my past.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I realize many on this forum have reached wealth beyond compare, just looking at their momentous collections of guitars . What about the new guy or gal wanting to learn , being any age , but doesnt have funds for a Martin D-18 or otherwise to learn . Or may not have $600 for a medium range acoustic . I would suggest the Epi DR100 ( NAT , black , burst ) around a C note . I briefly owned one to try and was amazed at the Loud Volume that Lam produced . With a new nut and saddle , great set of strings , set up this could take someone into the beginning of alot of enjoyment . A definite sleeper for the price . Check out the You Tubes - havent heard a bad word one . Am not affiliated in anyway , just from my own experience . Super expensive guitars can be a little over rated . I know I've had Dozens and many times , was not impressed .
A few years ago my nephew was in this position, with a budget of around $500.

I found a K. Yairi used sunburst dread that sounded great and I bought it for him.

I played it again a few days ago and it rivals guitars costing $3000 or more. I’ve played several Yairi guitars, even owning one 30 or so years ago. They’ve all been exceptional. Try finding one of these fine instruments.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 AM

You obviously haven’t spent much time on this forum because this place often champions and encourages budget and value finds across the spectrum of acoustic guitars. Do some searching and you’ll find thread upon thread talking about good starter guitars for virtually any budget. There is a lot out there, especially used. But there is a huge difference to my ear and hands between budget models, pro standard series models, and boutique and custom builds. If you can’t tell the difference, more power to you. But most here can, and they prioritize their financials accordingly. I don’t have wealth beyond compare, but I do know how to save for something that brings joy and value to my life. Couldn’t anybody here say that buying a $35,000 Honda Accord instead of driving a paid off vehicle makes you a wealthy person with wealth beyond compare? Don’t assume everyone with nice instruments has a trust fund or something, it isn’t accurate and devalues the work done to acquire the collection they have. Play what you enjoy, and let others do the same.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Today, if you want a budget friendly good sounding and playing guitar the world is your oyster. When I started out a cheap guitar was an Airline, Truetone or Silvertone with a high action and tuners that kept slipping. I did not even know there was such a thing as a set up. The saving grace was I did not know a good guitar from a can of tuna and was overjoyed with that instrument. But we got better and we did figure it out.

While I do own two fairly high dollar guitars and could afford another one, my average investment in the others, including neck resets and other repairs, is less than $800. They give me no less enjoyment than their higher priced kin.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

There are some great guitars out there for very little money. The majority of the guitars I own are sub-$500 guitars and I love every one of them. My Taylor 710 is the only “expensive” guitar I’ve ever bought. I did have a solid wood American made Martin Custom D I got for $650 and that should be an accessible price for most folks. My Martin DM sounds phenomenal and it was $450 used. If you look beyond your limitations and look for opportunities there are great guitars out there in every price range.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-24-2017, 10:39 AM

Perspective is interesting. While many herein tout the latest/greatest $1,000 guitars or $600 guitars that are better than in years past - these prices are still out of range for probably 80 per cent of the world. Not to mention that most people in the world would cringe at spending that much on a hobby or pastime not related to sustenance, education or for their retirement. Luckily, at this period there are many good $100-$400 guitar's for those who have to save to afford them. Certainly Epiphone, as suggested by Spider, as are some Fender, Cort, Washburn, Seagull and many others can be excellent instruments.

To me the key is to slow down and play as many guitars as possible to find one you like and not be tempted by all those who would say, "for just $200 over your budget you can get a ......". Budget's are necessary for most and exceeding the budget is a very bad thing to suggest to someone. I can't count how many times I've read on the forum someone selling a guitar they purchased within the past 6 months stating they were selling the greatest guitar due to financial strains. That's just a euphemism for "I couldn't afford it and now I have to sell".
Old 12-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The guitar I learned on in the 80s was a monster. I'm amazed that I ever learned to play at all. Now there are tons of "cheap" guitars that play great, sound great, and stay in tune.

Ibanez, Alvarez, Epiphone, Yahama, plus many others all have great budget-friendly guitars.
Echo that. When I started in the 70's it was very hard to find a decent 'cheap' guitar. Now you will struggle to find a bad cheap guitar. Can't go wrong with a Yamaha.

The inexperienced may find it hard to see the justification of 1,000's of pounds/dollars for a guitar these days but the more you learn, the more you appreciate the difference...

....A bit like wine.

YouTube
Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 AM

I truly believe that the numbers of inexpensive, yet rewarding guitars available today are only exceeded by the numbers of ways there are to start threads discussing them without being passive aggressive about it.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I must admit I did a little guffaw when I read your post. Then I took your advice and read some of the reviews from experienced players. I was impressed. What else can I say except I am going to try one out the next time I'm at my local music store. I won't buy one unless it's for someone else because I have what I want but I have been humbled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion