The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default I don't feel string spacing differences

I play finger style on all of my guitars in my signature and a Seagull Folk and Alvarez AP66SB. They can't have all the same string spacing, yet I don't notice any difference when I switch from one to the other. I can tell the difference in nut width when I go from the Martin (1.69"), the Gibson (1.72"), the Larrivee (1.75") and then the Seagull (1.8") - string spacing? Forget about it. Anyone else?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 AM

Me neither, given all the guitars I have around here (including 12 strings) I presume they must have different string spacing at the bridge, but I certainly can't tell them apart.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 AM

And another. String spacing and neck profiles aren't a big deal for me after the first couple of bars.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

My D-18 has wider string spacing and I do notice it. Where I notice it is when I move to fret higher on the neck I miss strings slightly. Which is enough. I didn't notice when I purchased it that it was wider but after playing it some I measured it because of the issues I was having.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 12-04-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I play finger style on all of my guitars in my signature and a Seagull Folk and Alvarez AP66SB. They can't have all the same string spacing, yet I don't notice any difference when I switch from one to the other. I can tell the difference in nut width when I go from the Martin (1.69"), the Gibson (1.72"), the Larrivee (1.75") and then the Seagull (1.8") - string spacing? Forget about it. Anyone else?
Not sure I follow. If you have 4 different neck widths and you can feel that difference, each of this would have different string spacing as well. To compare spacing, wouldn't you need to do it on same width neck with a different spacing formula applied?

I've never found neck width, spacing, neck shape, or scale to bother me much. I just sort of auto-adapt when I pick one up. Since I also switch to mandolins that are also different and tenor banjo, I'm not too picky about these specs.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:41 AM

They can't have all the same string spacing, yet I don't notice any difference when I switch from one to the other. I can tell the difference in nut width when I go from the Martin (1.69"), the Gibson (1.72"), the Larrivee (1.75") and then the Seagull (1.8") - string spacing? Forget about it. Anyone else?

For me, it's so subtle. I recently got a new Pono that has a wider spacing than my Taylor and Larrivee and what I've noticed is that I'm playing my usual fingerstyle bits cleaner and with fewer damped or buzzed notes. More so when playing with a capo - there is simply a bit more room for error when fretting notes. Same thing with the right hand, there's a bit more space to attack the strings cleanly.

Might not be that noticeable in terms of an extra 1/16" or so, but in percentage terms, an extra 5% of space seems to make a difference to me. . .
Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 AM

It's a big deal for me. Otherwise, why would they make the different?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
And another. String spacing and neck profiles aren't a big deal for me after the first couple of bars.
Same here. I realize for some folks it's an issue. I'm just not good enough to worry about micro-managing string spacing. Now neck thickness and profile...yeah that can be an issue.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM

I notice everything: a butterfly landing two states away, the rotation of the earth, the lack of peace on earth - everything.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Consider yourself blessed. I definitely notice it. Even when I don't know it is there, but inquire and measure.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I notice it but it doesn't seem quite as bad as it once did? I prefer 1 3/4" spacing at the nut but can move down slightly to 1 11/16" better than moving up to 1 13/16"? But a lot of it has to do with the neck profile. Only way to know is to play the guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM

This same topic was on another forum so now you all get to benefit from my awesome cut and paste skills :

Up until recently my only Martin was an X-Series and it has a 1 11/16" nut. Compared to my Taylor (1 3/4") I liked the Taylor way better. Then I got a D-18 (1 3/4") in April and I liked the feel of it just as much as my Taylor, so I figured I must be a 1 3/4" guy.

Then I got an HD-28 (1 11/16") a couple of months ago and started swapping back and forth between it and my D-18. Then I realized I can't really tell a difference. I like the both . The D-18 is wider but the neck is flatter, whereas the HD-28 is narrower but the neck is fuller. I think maybe there is just something about the X-Series I don't like, but I can quite figure out the exact reason.

Between the D-18 and HD-28 I can tell there are differences but the differences don't seem to help or hinder my playing in any way.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 AM

I can tell a difference when I switch between the two but it isn't much. However, I'm using that as an excuse to upgrade my 1 11/16" guitar to a 1 3/4" guitar.

shhhh.....
Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Musical minimalist

I must be the oddity - I can feel very tiny differences between instruments right away.

Some of it has to due with my small hands and short stubby fingers. Steel strings more narrow than 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 are just hard to navigate.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Not sure I follow. If you have 4 different neck widths and you can feel that difference, each of this would have different string spacing as well. To compare spacing, wouldn't you need to do it on same width neck with a different spacing formula applied?

I've never found neck width, spacing, neck shape, or scale to bother me much. I just sort of auto-adapt when I pick one up. Since I also switch to mandolins that are also different and tenor banjo, I'm not too picky about these specs.
Nut = Left hand

String spacing = Right hand

At least that's the way my brain processes it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion