The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Determining reasons for bad playing neck?

I have a 2012 Walden D550 which sounds great but is difficult to play. The neck angle is correct, the neck is straight and not twisted, and the action measures nicely at both the 1st and 12th frets. The frets are clean, but seem very small to me. Playing chords, I get a lot of unwanted string muting, which doesn't happen when I play other guitars.

Wonder what the problem is? I suspect the small frets (not wide or tall), but just don't understand it. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Get a bone saddle and a tune up.
While you are doing that try a different brand of strings.
The frets shouldn't be a problem on a new guitar.

Meanwhile,
If you capo up one fret, does the guitar play any better?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM

2 possibilities jump out at me. 1)Could be the neck relief needs to be adjusted. 2)May need a fret leveling.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Is the 1 11/16 neck/nut width narrower than you're used to? If you regularly play 1 3/4 or larger, I can see things getting crowded for you.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM

Sometimes the width of the necks and the radius of the fingerboard just don't match up with the hands of the player. One of my standard mods for my electrics is to roll the fingerboard edges. Every single one of my electrics have gotten this mod and I cannot tell you how much easier they are to play. It allows my fingers, particularly my index finger to curve more naturally. I benefit from getting additional ease of playing and greatly reduced fatigue. It doesn't really affect anything else except making the whole thing more ergonomic for my left hand. I've not done it on any of my acoustics, but I've been tempted to, but as my acoustics are more vintage in age I'd be inclined to let and experienced luthier do it- but I had no difficulty doing it myself on three Strats, a Tele and my Chinese LP. Unfinished/unbound rosewood or ebony are easy to do. It gets tricky if the edge is finished as you'll find with maple Stratocaster necks.

Hope this helps you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM

It's not even 1-11/16, but more like 1-5/8. And yes, it does seem crowded with my big fingers. The neck is a bolt-on, so I was thinking about looking for a wider neck, if I can find one that I can mod into a proper fit. I have done this kind of work and don't see a problem if I can find one.

No, the setup on it now is good.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
It's not even 1-11/16, but more like 1-5/8. And yes, it does seem crowded with my big fingers. The neck is a bolt-on, so I was thinking about looking for a wider neck, if I can find one that I can mod into a proper fit. I have done this kind of work and don't see a problem if I can find one.

No, the setup on it now is good.
My source wasn't necessarily accurate re: neck width: https://reverb.com/item/940234-walde...-new-old-stock

1 5/8 sounds like the problem, to me! I have trouble enough with 1 11/16.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Yea, I can't make this neck any wider without a strange feeling so it's a matter of finding a neck that will fit this body. Not terribly difficult to do, but finding one is.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM

yet another problem that seems best solved with the purchase of another guitar.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
yet another problem that seems best solved with the purchase of another guitar.
Hahaha

In regards to the string muting, do you think it's due to your fingers getting in the way of eachother (your nut width and/or neck profile is too narrow), or is there muting due to frets (may need to adjust the truss rod)?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
I have a 2012 Walden D550 which sounds great but is difficult to play. The neck angle is correct, the neck is straight and not twisted, and the action measures nicely at both the 1st and 12th frets. The frets are clean, but seem very small to me. Playing chords, I get a lot of unwanted string muting, which doesn't happen when I play other guitars.

Wonder what the problem is? I suspect the small frets (not wide or tall), but just don't understand it. Any suggestions?
It's not the guitar.

It's not you.

It's just not a good match between your fingers and its fretboard.

Change.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion