The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Tonerite vs Strumming

168 hours of Tonerite

vs

168 hours of continuous strumming of the open strings on your guitar with a pick.

In your opinion is one going to work better, sound better, etc than the other.

I understand it's not humanly possible to strum for that long so this is just a hypothetical.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Default strumming

I'm sure Tone Rite is a fine tool, but I am convinced that strumming does the trick of 'opening up' a guitar.
I have purchased several brand new (high end) guitars. I strum an E chord hard, with a pick for 5 minutes every day. After 10-12 days, the difference is amazingly noticeable.
No Tone Rite for me, just strumming.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM

I just play 'em.... that has worked great for me for 40+ years......and I'm always fretting strings when I do it.....sometimes others can almost recognize what I'm trying to do.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Greg that can be difficult with 25+ guitars.

I recently purchased a Tonerite from a fellow AGF'er last week and I hooked it up to a 2 year old guitar that hasn't been played much. I am excited to see how it turns out.

I am curious about the science of Vibrating a guitar vs actually Strumming it... The Tonerite is a constant vibration where strumming would have a lot more variation.

My instincts tell me that an equal amount of strumming would be better but instincts are not science.

Maybe my question can't be answered, which is totally fine.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
168 hours of Tonerite

vs

168 hours of continuous strumming of the open strings on your guitar with a pick.

In your opinion is one going to work better, sound better, etc than the other.

I understand it's not humanly possible to strum for that long so this is just a hypothetical.
Why would you do either? Just play your guitar and enjoy it. Most people buy a guitar because it sounds good, not buy a guitar thinking of ways to make it sound better.

.......Mike
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Definitely the 168 hours of strumming, because you'd get 168 hours of practice in, which will improve the sound of the guitar
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Deep strokes....the hardest with a heavy pick, strum your as fast with wrist action as deep and as raucous as you can.

Right over the hole. Don't worry about this as music. Earplugs?

Do it for 20 hours and you'll be opened up. Change strings after the noise.

I have only had to do this with tight sounding acoustics. None of the Goodall's or my 000-18 Martin ever needed it. A couple Gibson's did.

Last edited by tippy5; 11-02-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 PM

Only on AGF!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Why would you do either?

.......Mike
Thank you for your service Mike!

I have too many guitars to make any meaningful progress. Playing each of them for 5 minutes a day would take over 2 hours.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:59 AM

Tonerite won't make you a better guitar player; strumming possibly would and you get a broken-in guitar as a bonus.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:21 AM

If someone wants to buy me this £150 vibrator I'll be happy to report on its efficacy, or otherwise. Until then I'll carry on doing it the old-fashioned way and save the money toward important stuff-like strings and new guitars.

Regards,
Your faithful sceptic.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Strum an E chord hard every day for five minutes before you play.
If you don't play every day, do it anyway. In about a month you'll hear the difference.
As for those who don't agree, what have you got to lose? Anyway,it worked for me on two different guitars.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 AM

We measured the motion of the top of guitar during tonerite treatment and it was about 100 times less than the motion during a gentle strum.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
We measured the motion of the top of guitar during tonerite treatment and it was about 100 times less than the motion during a gentle strum.
Which means that 72 hours of Tonerite treatment can be accomplished in...43.2 minutes of strumming.

Deal.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM

I'll provide a better thought out answer, although it's far from scientific but not as flippant..... vibration alone is not very likely to be the sole or controlling factor in the process we refer to as "opening up". Many other things are going on at the same time, and those other things aren't just acting on the guitar - some of them act on the guitar owner. The ageing process of the wood involves more than vibrations, and combines with those vibratory processes.

While using a Tone Right very likely has effects, I doubt those effects duplicate the effects that a pre-war Martin has gone through in its lifetime, for example. To be focused, the OP is asking about 168 hours of aimless but concentrated strumming compared to a Tone Right application - and they might be fairly equal. Neither involves the more complex dance of processes that the ageing of a guitar while being used goes through.

My own perspective is that it's hard to imagine procuring 25 guitars in a short period of time - got to take a good 5 years, even if reaching 25 is the goal. Of course, my perspective comes from the outlook of a personal owner/player. A High School, for example, could buy 25 guitars in one day to stock their guitar class, or some such thing.

However, continuing from the personal owner perspective, If each is chosen on its own merits, then there follows a period during which the guitar owner becomes familiar with the instrument that was chosen. In my experience, that period involves spending a lot of time playing that guitar.

It's a little hard to see the OP's question as something other than an academic exercise from this perspective. Please pardon me if my view seems limited - a significant part of the enjoyment of my own acoustic guitar journey comes from choosing & getting to know instruments, and playing them.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion