The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Tell me about the Yamaha AEX 1500

Its a Yamaha.

It has a Piezo and a floating mini HB

Archtops are more comfortable than a big dread.

Currently I play acoustic electric flat top rhythm for my sung songs that are rockabilly country bluegrass.

Also play clean Acoustic Electric leads and dirty straight electric leads for folk rock songs my duo partner sings.

I might dabble in jazz someday.

Am assessing the potential of the AEX as a hybrid stage guitar ala Godin A6 (dont bond with it) Taylor T5z (like it... Too expensive) or a Crafter SA or SAT (none available for try locally).. My sense is the yam has value for the dollar in todays market.. But alas.. Too few and far between to try b4 I buy...mail order...

Looking for opinions on whether it will meet my current needs as an acoustic flattop rhythm plus Clean leads and light overdrive type tones as a one guitar stage solution.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 10-25-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Lovely guitar, one of Yamaha's best efforts-and Martin Taylor played them before his Vandens.

Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6fly5Grrw
Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 PM

I have an AEX 500, the cheaper version of the 1500, & have happily gigged with it for years - I find it very versatile, & being able to flip from a decent piezo-accoustic sound to full mini-humbucker ( or a blend of the two ) is a godsend - would love to have had the 1500s higher quality, but alas, too costly..
Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldergreene View Post
I have an AEX 500, the cheaper version of the 1500, & have happily gigged with it for years - I find it very versatile, & being able to flip from a decent piezo-accoustic sound to full mini-humbucker ( or a blend of the two ) is a godsend - would love to have had the 1500s higher quality, but alas, too costly..
My experience too - bought mine when I was starting to get into jazz guitarists like Martin Taylor. I even used my AEX500 in a metal band for practice one night - very versatile and a great neck.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM

How does the AEX500 feedback compared to the 1500?

How does their body depth differ?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 PM

....doublepost....
Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
How does the AEX500 feedback compared to the 1500?

How does their body depth differ?
Only played the 500, it is pretty rigid construction, with a big chunk of wood under the bridge, never had any feedback issues ( tho I never play very loud anyway ), - 1500 looks to be more usual archtop build, poss hollower-bodied? That's as much as I know..
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Well... I took the plunge ... Did a few hail Marys and mail ordered a mid 90s AEX1500 from a guitar shop at least 1000 miles away... My first archtop.

Surprisingly great shape...no buckle rash...only a minor cosmetic issue here and there.

It came with D Addario Chrome strings.. 11s ... Flatwounds.

Have never played flats before... Definately a different feel.

A very nice feeling neck.. Action is very low and fast. The behind the bridge extra string length makes bends etc alot easier than expected although the string stretches differently than fixed bridge guitars.

The unamplified acoustic tone is definately not the big scooped sound of a flattop... Having no prior eartraining for archtop tones or flatwould strings I barely have an opinion on it.

Amplified... The piezo system gives a very acceptable acoustic flattop sound... Even found a few settings on my Fishman Aura 16 Jumbo that are passable.. The raw tone out of the onboard preamp is very acceptable if not just a tad bright without some eq intervention.. It possibly uses a soundboard transducer .. its raw piezo tone is less quacky than my UST in my Yam LL16... Which I find difficult to dial in without an Aura image. Not the case with the AEX.

The neck minihumbucker is a very warm yet sweet tone..particularly in the mid neck area which seems to bring out some beautiful harmonics. .. It may be a bit too bass heavy to my preference but nothing that a high pass filter cant resolve.

The blend of the mini humbucker tone with the brighter piezo gives a very full satisfying tone that has a big warm bottom to subtle sparkle on top

I am running into my Fishman Mini which sounds better with this guitar than the raw LL16 signal7.

Conclusion... For a comparable used price to a budget new hybrid Guitar such as a Godin A6... It is wayy more guitar for the money... Twice the guitar at least.

For those seeking a hybrid guitar and not necessarily a jazz archtop tone...Not sure it is quite a Taylor T5 in overall appeal but pretty darnned close... But cost less than half the price and is at least equivalent in build

Overall...very happy with finding a giggable hybrid guitar that meets my needs at a surprisingly good price.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 11-03-2017 at 11:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion