The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Polyfoam Gig Bag for Larrivee OM-40R

I just purchased a Larrivee OM-40R this weekend, a very comfortable and wonderful sounding guitar. I'm looking for a polyfoam gig bag so I don't have to lug the OHSC around when I'm out with the guitar.

These are the Larrivee's dimensions:

Total length: 40"
Body length: 19.5"
Upper bout width: 11.75"
Waist width: 9.75"
Lower bout width: 15.375"
Depth (end pin): 4.5"

So far the main sticking point has been the Larrivee's 11.75" upper bout width, most bags that aren't made for dreadnought dimensions are designed for classical guitars and I have been unable to find one wider than 11.5" for the upper bout. Any suggestions? Hoping to keep this purchase to under $150, thanks.

Last edited by shekie; 09-24-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM

https://www.carryaccess.com/bags/stage-one-bags/ab1sa1

internal upper bout dimension is 12" on that one.
Knowing that a gig bag has always some leeway, it should work fine.

On the Elderly site, Stage One is 79$, Stage Three 149$.

No affiliation, but I use Access gig bags since a long time. I believe I own 12 or more of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
https://www.carryaccess.com/bags/stage-one-bags/ab1sa1

internal upper bout dimension is 12" on that one.
Knowing that a gig bag has always some leeway, it should work fine.

On the Elderly site, Stage One is 79$, Stage Three 149$.

No affiliation, but I use Access gig bags since a long time. I believe I own 12 or more of them.
THANK YOU!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM

I also use a TRIC polyfoam case for dreadnoughts, but not sure which one would fit your Larrivee OM. My Taylor GA's fit in there just fine too.

My favorite gig bag these days is the Taylor Hard Bag, which is actually an Access Stage 3, IIRC.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I also use a TRIC polyfoam case for dreadnoughts, but not sure which one would fit your Larrivee OM. My Taylor GA's fit in there just fine too.

My favorite gig bag these days is the Taylor Hard Bag, which is actually an Access Stage 3, IIRC.
That's my problem, if I want something to fit a dreadnought, there are many options. For OM's or 000's, not so much. However, jpbat's suggestion about the Access bags should be fine.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM

May I recommend TRIC cases? They are a gig bag-hardshell hybrid. Light as a feather (3.5lbs or so), can carry it around easily with its shoulder straps, and it also is very tough.

The concert hall (folk/classical) size will fit your guitar, including that upper bout.
Plus, you should be able to find one way south of your max price
Check actual sizing here:
http://www.godinguitars.com/tric.htm
Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM

You should also look at the Luna lightweight case for Dread and Concerts. I just purchased a Godin 5th Ave. archtop and needed a case. My wife has a Luna case for her henna guitar so I am familiar with Luna light weights. They are amazing cases for the $. She has had a case for almost 5 yrs and she used that guitar weekly to church for a couple of yrs. Case has help up well, that's why I ordered one for the Godin.

The dread/concert size will fit your guitar. I just got a tape and did the actual measurements. Body length 20 1/4 Upper Bought 11 3/4 Lower Bought 16 will hold a total length up to 42 1/2"

We purchased an open box and was in mint condition and it saved us some $. Right now I see MF still has one open box remaining. A Great deal since there is no shipping and no sales tax in most states.

Tim
Old 09-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
May I recommend TRIC cases? They are a gig bag-hardshell hybrid. Light as a feather (3.5lbs or so), can carry it around easily with its shoulder straps, and it also is very tough.
The Tric case is indeed a nice product, but it's a case. A light as a feather case, but a case nonetheless, with all the pros and cons. Since the OP has already the original case for the guitar, I'm not sure this is really what he wants.
One of the big, and often overlooked, benefit of a gig bag is that you can load/unload in the vertical position. That, and you can carry a load of accessories, mics, tools, sheet music, pastrami sandwiches and beers in it. Not possible with the Tric case. Or any other for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-19-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-19-2017, 08:50 AM

My gig bag for my Dreads is a Road Runner with a zip pocket on the front.
I paid a whopping $40 for it used. It's a zippered cover over polyfoam.
I've seen the same bag on our local CL for less.
That bag also protected my Yairi in the back of the SUV from Kansas City to Greensboro and back.
It's not just a good bag for the money...it's a good bag.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

My favorite gigbag is the Boulder Alpine. Tough, carries well, good zippers and all kinds of pockets that are the right size and in the right places.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM

I have a TRIC case that came with my Halcyon. I like it. It's very light and it's protective enough for my uses.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
You should also look at the Luna lightweight case for Dread and Concerts. I just purchased a Godin 5th Ave. archtop and needed a case. My wife has a Luna case for her henna guitar so I am familiar with Luna light weights. They are amazing cases for the $. She has had a case for almost 5 yrs and she used that guitar weekly to church for a couple of yrs. Case has help up well, that's why I ordered one for the Godin.

The dread/concert size will fit your guitar. I just got a tape and did the actual measurements. Body length 20 1/4 Upper Bought 11 3/4 Lower Bought 16 will hold a total length up to 42 1/2"

We purchased an open box and was in mint condition and it saved us some $. Right now I see MF still has one open box remaining. A Great deal since there is no shipping and no sales tax in most states.

Tim
I have one of these Luna cases, but the Folk and Parlor size, and it fits an OM perfectly, which is what I keep in mine. I think the dread/concert would be bigger than you'd want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion