The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Default The magic of the speed bevel! Thanks HHP!

I have to shout out to HHP who was kind enough to post his speed bevel pics and provide a follow up explanation. And while I know the speed bevel is mainly for flat picks I couldn't help but try it out on one of my thumb picks.

I've got a couple Golden Gate heavy thumb picks. I always liked the feel. Heavy and secure. But the sound was really dark, maybe even "thuddy". So I tried HHP's speed bevel thing on one of them and the sound changed radically. The sound of it is pretty crisp, almost as nice as my John Pearse with the speed bevel (which the bevel really improved this pick too).

I can see using that pick for strumming and picking and a few other things I'd never considered. My acoustic gigs have a number of tunes that go one right to the other (otherwise know as "attaca" in legit circles) and it will be helpful in some circumstances.

So thanks again for sharing HHP!

[-VVVVVV-just a generic picture, not my pick]

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 AM

I just did the same thing to a National tortoise shell thumbpick and it seems to have improved the tone just as you said. Did you bevel the trailing edge as well? I don't use mine for strumming but I noticed that sometimes the trailing edge hits first depending on the angle of the guitar and my hand. I use John Pearse thumbpicks as well but you can't find them due to their manufacturing issues. How did you bevel that one as it has such a thin, short blade?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion