The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Yamaha FS800 saddle spacing

Anyone with a Yamaha FS800 that plays finger style on it, how do you find the string spacing at the saddle? From what I have read, it's pretty narrow. 2"
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM

Yes, string spacing at the saddle is right at 2". I have fairly small hands/slender fingers so don't find it too narrow for fingerstyle, although I do have to be pretty accurate and consistent with my playing.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Anyone with a Yamaha FS800 that plays finger style on it, how do you find the string spacing at the saddle? From what I have read, it's pretty narrow. 2"
I'm basically a beginner (been playing a bit more than a year), but the saddle spacing on the FS700s was the major impetus for buying a new guitar. (Well, that and the fact that buying guitars is fun.) The nut is narrow too, but the saddle is where it really shows. The Eastman isn't wide really, but it's more like 2 1/8, so it makes a big difference.

The Yamaha is also more like dread depth, FWIW. It feels bigger than your average OM. Great build quality,great sound for the price, etc, but sort of odd specs, in my view.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 AM

I was thinking about getting one. They are well liked but that string spacing at the saddle (and nut) are scaring me away. It likely would be a good strummer.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 AM

I have a Yamaha FS 820. And the string spacing is indeed very narrow. It requires a lot of accuracy. For my small hands and fingers it's doable, but I am keeping my eye out for another guitar just for the fingerpicking. I do love this guitar though
Old 07-29-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
I have a Yamaha FS 820. And the string spacing is indeed very narrow. It requires a lot of accuracy. For my small hands and fingers it's doable, but I am keeping my eye out for another guitar just for the fingerpicking. I do love this guitar though
Try the 'L' series at 2 3/8". Wider nut spacing too. The LS6 is a fine guitar. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvNZBXfmxo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion