The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Under Saddle Pickup for D18?

Looking for opinions on a UST for a D18.

I want one that has a small vol and tone control near the sound hole. UST is best for loud band situations. I have tried K&K and Trance and they didn't work. Too sensitive to be around drums and monitors.

I have the Fishman Matrix in my CEO7 and it works pretty well. With a little adjustment from a ParaDI, I can get a nice natural acoustic sound...non- quacky.

I really wan to try a Highlander but the install is a pain and I don't know of anyone local who has done one and I am not about to be another Guinea pig.

Years ago I had a B-Band in a Larravee. That sounded good. Shoreline Music says good things about D-Tar.

I have it narrowed down to a
Fishman Matrix
B-Band 2.2-UST and Soundboard Transducer blend
D-Tar solo

Anything else?
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 AM

I like the Fishman Matrix more than the Baggs element.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 AM

I'd go with the DTAR Wavelength. You can get it with a volume and tone control.

Unfortunately, you'd NEED a volume control on the Wavelength to keep from overdriving the PADI. The PADI's minimum gain is +3db. The full Wavelength signal would overdrive it when playing hard. With its 18v power supply, the Wavelength can put out a whopping signal when driven hard.

FWIW, I've had no problem using my Zoom A3 with the full Wavelength signal. The A3 has enough available trim to deal with that signal, even though the A3 power supply is only 6v (four 1.5v batteries in series).
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 AM

I am using the Mi-Si Trio version of the Element. I have a JJB in another guitar, and I think I can get both to different but equally acceptable tone fairly easily with my ToneDEQ (at least in my living room). Neither would be considered as natural sounding as a dual source or a ToneDexter'ed processing of either. The Trio is feedback resistant, a very easy install, battery free, and that homogenization of a UST on tone makes it very predictable with no funny room based anomalies (that you don't find out until you're actually doing a sound check at a gig).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM

The Mi-Si Trio which I've used didn't have volume and tone controls. Are they available for the Trio now? (I see that Mi-Si has something called "Air Trio" in the works which would include a mic and have soundhole rim volume and blend controls. That might be a versatile system for accommodating both band gigs and solo gigs. )

The Trio definitely would be compatible with the PADI.

Regarding your band situation, you might be better off to forget the soundhole volume and tone controls and put a rubber or lute-style soundhole cover in the guitar. I'd think you'd still have plenty of volume & tone control with the PADI alone.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
The Mi-Si Trio which I've used didn't have volume and tone controls. Are they available for the Trio now? (I see that Mi-Si has something called "Air Trio" in the works which would include a mic and have soundhole rim volume and blend controls. That might be a versatile system for accommodating both band gigs and solo gigs. )

The Trio definitely would be compatible with the PADI.

Regarding your band situation, you might be better off to forget the soundhole volume and tone controls and put a rubber or lute-style soundhole cover in the guitar. I'd think you'd still have plenty of volume & tone control with the PADI alone.
I have used the rubber plugs. I don't usually have feedback issues without but I like to have quick access to the volume.
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
The Mi-Si Trio which I've used didn't have volume and tone controls. Are they available for the Trio now?
There is a volume and tone control you can add, Mi-Si VTC, or buy already soldered-in, as the Trio VT. The tone control is pretty subtle. I use the volume control mostly to mute when I tune.

Jon Fields
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM

I'm a "Keep it Simple, Stupid" kinda guy and usually suggest that people stick with whatever pickup/preamp combo they find that they like and knows works for them. If the Matrix works well with your guitar and PADI, a new pickup system may change that and result in a new needs. For instance, the Wavelength is too hot for the PADI and I can't speak to the B Band, but it's possible the PADI wouldn't complement its tone well. If you like a pickup and its tone with your current preamp/DI, more often than not it'll work with this guitar as well. The Matrix is a solid UST and is very flexible. It will definitely keep your set-up simpler and more consistent in tone if you stick with "the proven" method.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 07-26-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 PM

Aside from familiarity, there are a couple of other factors in the Matrix's favor. I think its probable that the Matrix rejects feedback better than the other pickups, simply because it seems a bit more string oriented and less top responsive than the other USTs mentioned.

There's also the conventional wisdom, on this forum at least, that the Matrix transducer has less impact on the guitar's acoustic tone than the transducer which is used in the Baggs Element, DTAR Wavelength and Mi-Si Trio systems.

I personally prefer the Wavelength's woody tone and zippy responsiveness to the sound and feel of the Matrix. If tone and touch were the main considerations here, however, you might well be sticking with the Trance Amulet system.

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-26-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:03 AM

One last comment, the Matrix UST is more fragile than the Element. You can damage the shielding on the Matrix fairly easily. The Element is nearly indestructible.

Jon Fields
Old 07-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
One last comment, the Matrix UST is more fragile than the Element. You can damage the shielding on the Matrix fairly easily. The Element is nearly indestructible.
Good point. I recently pulled a humming Matrix system out of an ebay guitar and noticed that someone had put a shim under the bass end of the pickup. That apparently bent it enough to break the shielding and cause the hum. I replaced the saddle (whose uneven bottom had caused the weak bass which apparently had motivated the quicky shim fix) and installed a Wavelength system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification