The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Strings, tops, and my ears

Good afternoon (if you happen to be in a nearby timezone, of course),

I should note in advance that I do not have a good ear for tone. I'm not tone deaf, just tone dumb.

I started my guitar journey a few years ago with a very cheap Jasmine dread with a laminated top. I noticed that when changing strings I didn't like the sound at all for about a week. Once it was "played in" a bit, it started to sound better. I noted the same with the second Jasmine I acquired as well as the Washburn Rover that I owned.

After a year of playing, I bought a Yamaha AC1M which has a solid top. I've noticed after the last couple of string changes that I now prefer the sound of fresh strings. This is consistent on my Yamaha DW-4S-12 which is also solid topped.

Anyway, I find myself wondering if there's something with the guitars themselves or a change in my tastes (possibly due to slowly developing ears) behind the change in my new string preference. I'm using the same D'Addario strings but don't recall a change in my impression with other brands.

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed that they prefer fresh strings on any particular type of guitar and not another. Could by brand, type, construction, etc.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I really like new strings but they settle in pretty quickly and last a long time (for me).

Maybe the reason that older guys buy more expensive guitars (apart from ready cash) is that over time we develop an "ear" for tonal quality.

I think it takes time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion