The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Strings, hate to do this

I know string questions are like fingernails on a chalk board kind of question but I recently put a set of "DR Strings Rare - Phosphor Bronze AcousticHex Core 13-56" on my 1974 Takamine F349s acoustic guitar. I like the tone a lot but the strings are much stiffer and they seem to have raised the action slightly. I've been playing the guitar with these string long enough now that I've become accustomed to the stiffness yet I'm a little concerned about the raised action and if it's a threat to the mechanical and structural integrity of this old guitar as well as if they will shorten the fret life, it takes more fret hand finger pressure to play these strings than any of the other strings I've had on this guitar.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions on another brand or type of string to try. What I have used on this guitar so far has been. Martin SP mediums, Elixer Nano web mediums and lights and D'Addario EJ-17 which I liked the best until I heard the tones coming out of the DR's.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM

I just put a set of the 13-56 "Rares" on my Dread. I like the way they sound too... POW!
The higher tension does make them a little tougher to play and I think they are made a little differently for greater projection so that contributes to it as well. I tweaked my truss rod about a quarter turn to lower the action. I can't comment on whether they would cause any issues with your guitar. If you want easy to play, try the Martin Retros. If you want easiest to play save up your money and buy a set of the Martin Titaniums when they come out in August.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 AM

I too have an old guitar that I have "protected" by playing lighter gauge strings.
I've gone as far at 10-50's.

To date I've been playing 12-53's a lot.
But as I get older, and carpal tunnel and arthritis become things I have to contend with, I'm moving slowly back to 11-52's.
I've found for most I've my guitars there is no appreciable difference in tone.
But they are miles easier to play.
The caveats here are that I am mostly a finger picker. So, I don't really get any of the buzzing that you could realistically expect if you strum, or play in a more heavy handed style.

If you stay with the heavier gauges, go online and look up what the overall tension is for your preferred strings. Go with a lighter tension string to decrease the playing difficulty.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 AM

Most dreads, especially Martins, are speced for mediums. Not sure about the Tak copies.

Mediums would definitely add more tension than lights, enough to change the action via the neck relief (or lack there of), but if you used mediums before there shouldn't be that much of a difference from one brand to another.

Perhaps a truss rod adjustment is all that you need (and would be expected).

You could always try a set of medium lights to ease on the tension a bit but still have enough to get that dread top moving.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I just put a set of the 13-56 "Rares" on my Dread. I like the way they sound too... POW!
The higher tension does make them a little tougher to play and I think they are made a little differently for greater projection so that contributes to it as well. I tweaked my truss rod about a quarter turn to lower the action. I can't comment on whether they would cause any issues with your guitar. If you want easy to play, try the Martin Retros. If you want easiest to play save up your money and buy a set of the Martin Titaniums when they come out in August.
Ease of play is not an issue, my concern is for the guitar and if it's a legitimate concern.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 AM

heavier gauge strings would tend to increase neck relief, maybe a little tweek of the t/r is all thats needed. A by product of reducing relief is it will lower the action as well.

go easy, where truss rods are concerned a little does a lot.
I also give it some time between each adjustment to allow things to settle,
although the waiting bit, some say its not necessary. Maybe just being over cautious
Old 06-22-2017, 08:13 AM

I will often tune a set of medium strings down a whole step. They don't get too floppy and the bass is to die for...
Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 AM

If your concerned about the structural integrity of the guitar, inspect the bridge and top. Keep an eye out for any addional bulging at the top or lifting of the bridge.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 06-22-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
If your concerned about the structural integrity of the guitar, inspect the bridge and top. Keep an eye out for any addional bulging at the top or lifting of the bridge.
Yes.

Are you sure the higher action isn't calling for a truss rod adjustment? More tension will create more bow in the neck and will feel like the action is higher until you adjust the TR.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I know string questions are like fingernails on a chalk board kind of question . . . .
For me the fingernails on chalkboard are people getting offended by string questions (or any questions, really). With all the thousands of string possibilities, it can be extremely helpful to get some guidance in narrowing things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
What he said. And if you think the tension is becoming a problem, maybe go down to .012s in Rares and see how it sounds.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM

I have always found Rares to be more flexible than many of the other brands.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I will often tune a set of medium strings down a whole step. They don't get too floppy and the bass is to die for...
Ditto! I have mediums on most of my guitars right now. Some live tuned down D-d, or standard minus two frets. Others get used mostly in alternate tunings that lower the tuned pitch noticeably, and I need the extra tension of mediums. One guitar wears EJ-18 heavy strings (59-14) tuned down two whole steps to C-c because it likes that -- and I enjoy the "pseudo-baritone" pitch for singing certain songs that challenge my voice.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM

I will try the truss rod adjustment and keep a close eye on the bridge plate and down tune after playing/practice. I appreciate the suggestion on tuning down a whole step but it will not work for me. This guitar was a voice for new song that I'm working on. This song is capo'd at the 7th fret with a chord played on the 13th fret, I can't move the capo to the 9th fret and be able to play this song. I have tried the capo on other frets but the voicing isn't right.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 06-22-2017, 02:12 PM

Yes, you should be concerned. It is unlikely the 13s are recommended by the manufacturer for your guitar and it is absolutely the case that heavier gauge strings can belly the top a little -- or a whole lot -- and that is only a partially reversible change if it happens. Sometimes it's simply a bulge caused by excess tension and goes away as soon as you change gauges or detune but sometimes it's permanent deformation. Exceeding the manageable tension for a particular guitar is something the instrument really, really does not like. Most mass-produced guitars are spec'd for 12s, and few players use heavier gauges, so rather than overbuild to handle the heavier gauges at the expense of tone when strung with 12s, the builders focus on 12s and the instruments are often too lightly braced for 13s. You really need to be careful and keep tabs on the top. Sometimes, there's an initial shift, but it's often the case that the distortion can continue slowly over time until you really have a fat belly. A lot of us like heavier gauge strings for some kinds of playing, but personally, I just don't go there anymore.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I will try the truss rod adjustment and keep a close eye on the bridge plate and down tune after playing/practice. I appreciate the suggestion on tuning down a whole step but it will not work for me. This guitar was a voice for new song that I'm working on. This song is capo'd at the 7th fret with a chord played on the 13th fret, I can't move the capo to the 9th fret and be able to play this song. I have tried the capo on other frets but the voicing isn't right.
As something from out in left field, how would the song go on a 12 string? You might actually find a voicing that would work on a lower fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion