The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Recording King EZ Tone parlors

Is there anything bad about these?

So my daughter took over the Taylor Baby and I was looking around at parlors again and these came up. Caught my eye because I have always heard good things about RK on AGF. The EZ Tone looks like a simple no fancy anything guitar with a solid top and regular scale.

Any experience with these you guys have found? Was looking at the RP-A3M. The plus sounds nice but I don't want all solid wood.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Got the all solid RP-A9M and it's excellent value for money. Price close to the cheaper one with solid top and lam b/s. Nothing bad to say about it. Well set up, has required no adjustment yet, sounds decent for its size. Bargain.

Gazza
Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I bought one a while back. I subsequently gave it to someone who wanted a guitar. It was not bad as inexpensive parlors go. I'd link to my original post if I knew how to do that. I am pretty good at cutting and pasting. So here's what I thought about it shortly after getting it.

"Received the EZTone Plus today from Elderly. Nicely packaged and actually set up. The latter was a bit of a surprise for a $300 guitar.

Tone: This guitar is well balanced and more mellow than the Recording King RP-10 that costs about $100 more. (In terms of comparison I would put the RP-10 and the Eastman E10P on the harsh side. The Blueridge BR341 would be on the mellow side.)

Fit & finish: The guitar appears to be very well made. Good looking wood all around. Straight as an arrow grain on the top. Nice clean edges. Even frets. The finish is VERY thin. In fact, it is so thin that some parts of the top have no finish, giving it a somewhat rough feel. I'd guess this will vary from guitar to guitar.

Bridge string spacing is a little tight at 2 3/16. It has a 1 11/16 nut with string spacing at 1 7/16. That's about 1/32 more than my GS-Mini.

The C shaped neck is very comfortable. The sides, back and neck are all given a very dark stain that contrasts nicely with the light spruce top and white binding.

In the $300 guitar market, this one is a keeper . . . I may not keep it for too long, but you get my meaning.

If you have the itch for an 0 size guitar, this one is a better choice and a better value than the other two RK's (RP10 & RP6). It's not going to give you the volume/projection of the Blueridge or Eastman 0 guitars, but it's not going to take nearly as much out of your pocket if you're just looking for a nice little couch guitar."
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I have the RD-A3MQ mini that is the equivalent of the Baby Taylor. I added a JJB pickup and a bone saddle to mine, along with the pickguard Taylor sells for the Baby. It's a fun little guitar, especially using a preamp and plugging into an amp. But, it is the same scale length as the Baby, I think 22.75" or something like that. I'm actually selling mine, not because of any issue with the guitar but only because I bought a Guild Jr that more or less fills the same niche for me as a traveler.

If you liked the Baby Taylor, the Recording King is (IMHO) its equal for a good bit less money. The gig bag that comes with it is top notch, as is the Taylor's.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM

I guess it's worth a try. So is a single 0 usually 25" scale length ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsdds View Post
I guess it's worth a try. So is a single 0 usually 25" scale length ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usually an 0 is 24.75, with some at 24. I think the Recording King is 25.4 just like a bigger guitar. It gives more tension so they are a little louder and more responsive for the size and build. I prefer the shorter scale with a 12 fret neck, but for the $$$ these are nice guitars.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 AM

They are solid little guitars: perhaps a little overbuilt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion