The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Earthwood strings

Hi to all,I have just started to use Earthwood light gauge strings on my 1982 ef340sc Takamine,how many others experience a very long time for these strings to bed in (loose that twangy new sound) I'm on my second set each time it has taken almost ten days of playing,and I play every day at least four hours. Once they have settled they sound really good.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Never tried them, but they are on the list.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Guest316

I used them for a little while on my Gibson because they are very, very inexpensive compared to other strings. They sounded OK, but not as good as Pearse or EXPs. To get to your question, they seemed to "settle in" on my guitar fairly quickly - a day or so. I might have greasier hands than you lol - -
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM

In the past I used the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings from time to time. I never noticed them taking any longer than other strings to start staying in tune, but then as I'm putting them on I habitually stretch each new string repeatedly until it stops going flat and stays in tune. Then I move on to the next string.

What I do is bring the new string up to pitch, then place my forefinger of my left hand on the string at the first fret, then gently pull upwards on the string with my right hand, running my hand along the string up as close to that first fret as I can. I retune the string to pitch, and repeat the process as many times as needed to get it stabilized. (It usually takes about five or six times.)

The reason I press the string down at the first fret while doing this is to prevent unnecessary wear on the nut slots.

Anyway, if the next time you change strings you give that a try, I'll bet money that the strings will be easier to deal with.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF forum...
I like the Earthwoods on my 12 string guitar... don't remember the break in duration. They sounded good and life was great!
If you want to try a string that sounds consistent from the time you put them on till they time you remove them... (quite a while later).. you might try their Aluminum Bronze in the same gauge. They seem to to stay at pitch consistently, with a normal retune after playing them in once. They have a very unique and powerful tone to them across the tonal spectrum (with an emphasis on the bass side on my Taylor cedar/rosewood). Some love them... some don't like them... I fall into the 1st category.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
Welcome to the AGF forum...
I like the Earthwoods on my 12 string guitar... don't remember the break in duration. They sounded good and life was great!
If you want to try a string that sounds consistent from the time you put them on till they time you remove them... (quite a while later).. you might try their Aluminum Bronze in the same gauge. They seem to to stay at pitch consistently, with a normal retune after playing them in once. They have a very unique and powerful tone to them across the tonal spectrum (with an emphasis on the bass side on my Taylor cedar/rosewood). Some love them... some don't like them... I fall into the 1st category.
The EB Aluminum Bronze work very well on my Cedar Hog Larrivee LO3.
Not so much on my Eastman E 20 Dread. Good old PB or coated PB on that one. I'll probably try the Earthwoods on that guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion