The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot cover

The guitar is my Olson SJ (cedar/EIR), which I bought used from a fellow AGFer from the opposite US coast. I love the mellow sound of this guitar.

Thanks for watching...

Glenn
Old 02-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Guest 33123

An awesome rendition of one of my favorite songs of all time. Thank you Glenn for bringing back some great memories!
Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Sweetheart guitar Glen and a very nice rendition, thanks for sharing.

I stumbled upon the Neil Young rendition on an old Martin 0 size and as a small guitar nut I have been goofing off with it; its nice to revisit it with a big open voice.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful, Glenn. And nice production on your videos. Thanks for showing your hands, makes it easier to copy what you are doing

Bob
Old 02-04-2017, 05:06 PM

VERY Nice! .. Enjoyed very much.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:36 PM

WOW! That was great.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Nice job. Lightfoot was an under-rated guitarist.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 PM

That was just fantastic! Great playing, singing and that Olson sounds wonderful.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Love that tune, Glenn! Excellent job... nice playing, vocals, video, audio... everything! I enjoy your professional-quality recordings. Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll keep em coming...
Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Wow.

Excellent. From beginning to end.... I would love to hear you play Softly... probably the most romantic song I've ever heard.

You have GL downnnnn. And er... nice guitar!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:15 PM
AGF Administrator

I love this. You're on a roll these days Glenn!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Ah, you all so nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
An awesome rendition of one of my favorite songs of all time. Thank you Glenn for bringing back some great memories!
Thank you Doug. You know, I only decided to learn this song in the last few years even though it is an old song. I always liked Gordon Lightfoot's version, and I never really thought I could do it justice. For some reason I decided to work on it fairly recently and really started enjoying playing this song. I appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
Sweetheart guitar Glen and a very nice rendition, thanks for sharing.

I stumbled upon the Neil Young rendition on an old Martin 0 size and as a small guitar nut I have been goofing off with it; its nice to revisit it with a big open voice.
Hi Michael and thank you for your comments and your own experiences. I bet this song would sound good on a small 0-size guitar, but I do agree, the Olson just has such a velvety sound, it's hard to resist. And it has a fairly big sound, too, as you have pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Beautiful, Glenn. And nice production on your videos. Thanks for showing your hands, makes it easier to copy what you are doing

Bob
Thank you Bob! Regarding the 2nd camera, yes, I agree that the videos could be a learning tool. I also think a 2nd camera adds interest. Regarding video production, it has taken me a little bit of time to get up to speed on how to do this. And just about anything can be done better. I experimented with a different backdrop, but it was mostly a disaster. So it takes time to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
VERY Nice! .. Enjoyed very much.
Thank you very much Jake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
WOW! That was great.
Thank you CT. Of course, I won't tell you how many takes I did of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf91 View Post
Nice job. Lightfoot was an under-rated guitarist.
Lightfoot was and still is a good guitarist. He is quite versatile and understands a lot of different styles. Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
That was just fantastic! Great playing, singing and that Olson sounds wonderful.
Thank you Sage! I very much appreciate your thoughts after I so enjoyed your JT song just this morning. It's fun to pull up these old songs that people know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Love that tune, Glenn! Excellent job... nice playing, vocals, video, audio... everything! I enjoy your professional-quality recordings. Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll keep em coming...
Kerbie, you are just too generous! Thank you so much. As I said up above, I have put in a fair amount of work to figure out how to do these videos while getting decent sound. It takes some effort and some good equipment. I have been fortunate that in retirement that I now have a little more time to try things. Every day I learn something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Wow.

Excellent. From beginning to end.... I would love to hear you play Softly... probably the most romantic song I've ever heard.

You have GL downnnnn. And er... nice guitar!
Thank you so much for your comments. I really do enjoy Gordon Lightfoot's songs because he is right in my vocal range. And yes, the Olson is a very nice guitar. I love to sing with this guitar. I know I am very fortunate.

I have never learned the song, "Softly." I will have to go check it out. It would be good to learn something new, though I realize the song would only be new to me.

Is this the song you are referring to? I want to make sure I learn the right one!

- Glenn
Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I love this. You're on a roll these days Glenn!
Thank you Jeremy. I feel grateful that anybody cares. I appreciate the really thoughtful comments that people are making. I'm grateful to have the time, some nice guitars, some very nice recording equipment, and video cameras are so good today... Thanks once again for your support, Jeremy!

- Glenn
Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, I could be wrong, but I assumed he meant "Softly" by Gordon Lightfoot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZx6LQtaT0s
Old 02-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Glenn, I could be wrong, but I assumed he meant "Softly" by Gordon Lightfoot...

Oh!!! I bet you are right Kerbie! I love this song! I just never learned to play it. If this is what themissal meant, this would be fun to learn. And I have a new 12-string to play it on.

Maybe he will reply on this thread and confirm that this is what he meant. It seems likely since this is a Gordon Lightfoot song.

Geez, I feel like a real dummy...

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell