The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 AM

Default Entry level guitar

Feeling awesome since someone gifted me some dough.

So looking at picking up Cort AD10 as I heard that's probably a good entry level guitar with low action and ease of play. Hope it's not a dumb decision..
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 AM

Cort makes a great entry level guitar. Many of them are considered excellent guitars.

Congrats on the guitar and welcome to the journey.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 AM

Thank you so much
Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 AM

I am not familiar with Cort guitars but I do have an appreciation for Seagull guitars . they seem to sell a great product.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:59 AM

I am not familiar with Cort guitars but I do have an appreciation for Seagull guitars . they seem to sell a great product. My first guitar was a Brand Names $50 guitar;totally unplayable. Then I found a used Alvarez -Yari which I found to be easy to play and pleasing to the ear, Then it was on to Martins, Santa Cruz and now I'm in the Port de La Sexauer guitars.I had a similar climb up the ladder of Mandolins,now with a Nugget F5 and an excellent Kimble F5. It's been a happy journey except for that Brand Names guitar.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Not a dumb decision at all. Lots to choose from... Seagulls are great guitars for the money, as are the other Godin brands... Simon & Patrick, Norman and Art & Lutherie. Then you've got Yamaha and Blue Ridge. Can't really go wrong with any of them, just depends on your own tastes. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Not a dumb decision at all. Lots to choose from... Seagulls are great guitars for the money, as are the other Godin brands... Simon & Patrick, Norman and Art & Lutherie. Then you've got Yamaha and Blue Ridge. Can't really go wrong with any of them, just depends on your own tastes. Good luck.
+1. Some very nice guitars.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanks so much all for your comments!👍
Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 AM

You did not give us any clue where you are or what options are local to you for in-person test drives. The Yamaha FG (dreadnought) and FS (folk size) get a lot of positive comments around here, and run ~$300 for the solid top and ~$200 for the laminated versions.

After that I steer people toward Seagull / Godin family, as a good bang-for-the-buck option with a quality build. I am not very familiar with the Cort line, mostly because I don't see them in local stores often.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
+1

Seagulls like the S6 are "friendly" guitars, particularly if you're starting out.

I think the Saga guitars -- like Blueridge -- also good. Even their all-laminate Bristol has good tone and action. They make guitars in a fairly wide price range -- pick the price that feels comfortable.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM

I think the Cort may be an all-laminate guitar. Depending on what it will cost you another consideration is a Yamaha FG800 or one of the discontinued Yamaha FG730's....both have solid spruce tops.

Good luck with your first guitar!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM

You did not tell us what your budget is or what type of guitar you were favoring. Bottom line - get a guitar that feels and sounds good to you.

But if you are looking for input - my suggestion is that you check out the Yamaha FG800 (dreadnought) and the Yamaha FS800 (small body). Either of these guitars will run you around $200 for the guitar alone, but can be bought in widely available bundles in the $220-239 range with cases or gig bags and some other helpful beginner accessories.

Both are great guitars that are good for beginners and will serve you well as you develop and get better.

I suggest you try as many guitars as you can and find one that suits you best.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
. . . Cort makes a great entry level guitar. Many of them are considered excellent guitars. . .
I agree ^ ^ ^ ^.

I've played lots of Cort guitars and all have been excellent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion