The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Default What would be a better fit for me?

Ok, for my Christmas list I've narrowed the field to two used guitars with laminated back and sides. Both have sunburst finishes and are from the same manufacturer.

Guitar One has solid Engleman spruce top with laminated rosewood back and sides. I think it has scalloped bracing.

Guitar Two has solid spruce top with laminated mahogany back and sides. It does not have scalloped bracing.

Both are dreads with plastic nut and saddle (which I will replace with bone). Both have the same nut width.

Guitar Two is about 60 percent the price of Guitar One and it comes with a used hardshell case so it's quite a bargain.

I'm not a fingerstyle player. I mostly play at home but I do sometimes go to acoustic jams, ususally indoors.

I've never really played much in the way of Engleman-spruce guitars except for the new Recording King EZ Tone Plus and that was for a 000-sized guitar. I do like the heavier bass sound of a Martin than the treble and mid-based sound IMO of a Taylor.

So ... which one do you folks think would be best for me?

As ever, thanks for any advice you folks care to offer me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Guest 728

IMO, the back and sides are irrelevant except for cosmetics. Engleman vs. what I assume is sitka could probably be a factor, but no one but you has heard either guitar, and neither wood is necessarily superior. Likewise the scalloped bracing.

Since you know your preferences are for more bass and less treble, I'd choose based on which guitar gives you what you like. And don't run out and replace the nut and saddle unless there's some specific reason for doing so: "If you like the tone, leave it alone."
Old 12-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Truthfully, I have never paid attention to what the bracing inside the guitar is nor have I ever based a purchase on bracing.

However, I have always preferred solid wood tops and bottoms.

Solid wood tops are always mandatory. Laminate sides and backs are negotiable depending on the sound from the guitar.

If the neck feels chunky or not at all comfortable in my hands, it doesn't matter what the guitar is made out of. It's not a guitar for me.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Sorry, folks. I left out one BIG fact in my posting.

I have not played these guitars. These are from an online dealer I found. I do have pics and I have talked to two sales people about them.

I understand laminates do little to "color" the sound. Having said that I note a marked difference, for example, between my Alvarez AD30 (laminated mahogany) and AD710 (laminated rosewood.) I've also played the Yamaha FG800 (laminated nato) and the FG830 (rosewood) and noticed an even more pronounced difference.

And as for scalloped bracing, I've played the Yamaha FG700 (non-scalloped) and the Yamaha FG800 (scalloped) and noticed a , to me at least, improvement in bass response and tightness of sound.

As for the nut and bridge I probably won't be changing the nut at all. I do know a local luthier who will put in a bone saddle as part of a setup for a very, very modest fee.

Two updates; The lower-priced guitar is just starting to have its bridge lift on one corner, a salesman says, although saying he didn't notice that yesterday. My luthier can fix a bridge for about $50 to $60. I don't have the skills to do that myself.

Also, the higher-priced guitar does not have scalloped bracing. It does have more "bling" in the form of triple binding (front, back and fingerboard) while the other just has a simple dark binding on the front. However, I don't care about that very much.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 12-13-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I have not played these guitars.
Then flip a coin, or use price as your criterion, or appearance, as it's impossible to make a judgment based on materials alone. Go with your wallet and gut.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:42 PM

From all you've described, I'd say just don't do it. But I've got to say I'd never buy a guitar without first playing it, so I'm biased.

At the level of guitar you're talking about (laminate B/S), there's nothing to indicate whether one sounds better or feels more comfortable. But if you played them, you'd have an immediate reaction. One might be a gem, or neither of them do it for you.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM

As you don't intend using the guitar "out", you could argue that the case is unnecessary and you would anyway be paying for something other than the guitar. I would therefore suggest going for the Engleman topped instrument as it would seem to be the better buy of the two. However, without hearing them it is very hard to tell, no matter how much you spend.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
As you don't intend using the guitar "out", you could argue that the case is unnecessary and you would anyway be paying for something other than the guitar. I would therefore suggest going for the Engleman topped instrument as it would seem to be the better buy of the two. However, without hearing them it is very hard to tell, no matter how much you spend.
No I won't be going out with the Englemann topper but I live in the Northeast in a heated apartment so humidity (or lack thereof) can be a problem . Two years ago I left my Alvarez AD710 out on the stand (foolish, foolish me) and one day I heard a loud CRACK! (sounding like a string broke). Yep, crack all the way from saddle to the bottom of guitar. So I'd like a case for humidification. I do have a couple nice spare gig bags so I could use them, I just have to check the soundhole humidifiers I have. Sorry for being wordy. The case is not a deal-breaker but it would be nice but I can always add one later.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

The price difference is in the mahogany versus rosewood and possibly scalloped bracing on #1.

I prefer scalloped bracing myself but it's not a deal breaker. A case is a huge plus. It comes down to price I suppose without knowing which make and model you're talking about.

#1 has it's strong points as does #2. Flip a coin but make sure it lands on a case.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 AM

Hmmm. Nobody has mentioned that the cheaper guitar is just starting to have a bridge lifting issue. The salesman said it was only on one "horn" and faily minor. I do want to put medium-gauge strings on whatever guitar I get but tune it down a half note so the tension would be about the same as a regular set of light-guage strings tuned to full tension ... at least from the reports I've read online.

Again not having each guitar in front of me I don't know how bad that bridge is but I'm certain that it is not going to heal itself somehow.

And as I said before I found out neither guitar has scalloped bracing.

I admit I am sort of drawn to the Englemann spruce-topped guitar simply because I don't have a guitar with that top of wood.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 AM

if you can return both, buy both and keep the one you prefer...
Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
if you can return both, buy both and keep the one you prefer...
I can do that. I won't. I just don't think it's right. Just my opinion.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM

You know, sometimes you just have to make your own decision and accept responsibility for the consequences!

The chances are you'd be pleased with either guitar, provided you wouldn't always be wondering what the other one sounded like....

Flip a coin.

Or, better still, buy a guitar you've played - this does increase the chances of satisfaction considerably. :-)

Keith
Old 12-14-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
You know, sometimes you just have to make your own decision and accept responsibility for the consequences!

The chances are you'd be pleased with either guitar, provided you wouldn't always be wondering what the other one sounded like....

Flip a coin.

Or, better still, buy a guitar you've played - this does increase the chances of satisfaction considerably. :-)

Keith
Agreed. I want to accept responsibility. I will return it only if it has some unreported structural problems ... which is why I am hesitating about buying a guitar with a lifting bridge, even in the first stages. I have played that model before so I know how it will sound.

The model I had sounded good ... but it didn't "excite" me, if that makes sense.

But, even at this price point or more specifically because of this price point, each guitar can sound different than another, IMO.

Now the other guitar with the Engleman top I have no idea at all how that will sound.

As for buying a guitar I've played, that's rather limited in the area I live. So I'm left to either settle with what I can find locally or "gamble" on an online site, one that has a good return policy.

Thanks everybody for your comments.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 PM

I would go for #1.
More guitar with good specs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion