The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Default NGD: Rainsong OM1000N2 (w/ video)

Got the new Rainsong OM that I impulsively purchased from Amazon Canada last month (at $732 plus shipping it was too great a deal to pass up). In a word, this guitar is fantastic. Terrific build quality and very comfortable to hold and play. Brought the rather high action down a lot, to about 4/64" on low E and 3/64" on high E when the guitar has a capo on the second fret (so I'm measuring on the 14th fret rather than the 12th).

Tonally, the OM1000N2 is beautiful. Is it the same as a wood guitar? Maybe not but it has a gorgeous acoustic sound and I bet you wouldn't being able to pick it out of a lineup of wood guitars in a blind listening test. The instrument's intonation is top notch and the sound is very balanced across the strings with surprising sustain and low end. At the top end, there are crystalline clear high notes without being shrill. Somewhat to my surprise, the volume of the guitar is really impressive and very much under control, which means that when I strum it is not insanely louder than when I fingerpick. Not sure I've ever had a guitar that was this balanced in terms of volume. The neck feels great, certainly not too fat at all and the texture is not too slippery either.

The other big mod was that I went on a major quack attack and removed the Fishman Prefix + preamp--USTs and my ears do not get along. Had a K&K Pure Mini put in (as on three other guitars and four ukes of mine) and the sound is much more acoustic and pleasant. The signal passes through a LR Baggs Venue DI and BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, which yields a very full and rich acoustic sound when played through my AER Compact 60/2 amp. As a result of removing the Prefix, this guitar also now has a sound port on the upper bout (left the plastic edge of the old pickup mount to cosmetically frame the sound port, which works fines and in fact looks really nice). This port makes for an enhanced playing experience, allowing me to hear greater clarity and probably 25% more volume.

In short, I'm impressed. Carbon fiber guitars certainly have a lot going for them and the Rainsong OM is a complete joy to play.

Here is a simple fingerstyle tune that I threw together in honor of getting this new CF guitar (just mics here.....Audix SCX25A and Shure KSM 137 through an Apogee Duet). Thanks for listening:

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 07-24-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:16 PM

Congrats Jon! Nice playing too

I played that OM model recently and can attest to its sound. I liked the neck profile too.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:16 PM

That is an insane deal!! Sounds great in your hands.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Guest 928

UJ;

Very nice guitar, very nice modifications, very sweet play. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

One hell of a deal. Very nice playing, Jon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Nice! Great deal!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

Last edited by Godfather; 07-25-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:10 PM

Congrats on a steal of a guitar! Nice playing too
Old 07-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the great guitar and the deal! Nice playing!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Fantastic deal, and very nice playing!

Nice sound hole mod too. At 25% more volume to the player's ear, I might try it on the Shorty. I play on the front porch and like the idea of hearing myself better without having to play louder.

Was this sample done in standard tuning under the capo?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Fantastic deal, and very nice playing!

Nice sound hole mod too. At 25% more volume to the player's ear, I might try it on the Shorty. I play on the front porch and like the idea of hearing myself better without having to play louder.

Was this sample done in standard tuning under the capo?
Thanks for the kind words. This tune is played in Drop-D tuning.

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
Old 07-29-2016, 06:38 AM

UkeJohn, may I ask you how did you manage to get the guitar from Amazon Canada ? I am trying to buy from them a Rainsong Smokey for $930 USD, but I get the message that it cannot be shipped to my address in Michigan.
Thanks !
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Guest 928

Gerardo;

I don't know if my situation relates to yours but I've had problems with Amazon and addresses.

The first problem is due to me sometimes giving my P.O. box as my address because that is both my billing and shipping address for most of my orders; however a number of items will only ship to a physical address.

The second problem is that Amazon will not take my physical address for delivery because it appears to be using an outdated delivery system that does not list my street. Oddly enough, when Amazon has refused to ship to my address I've gone straight to the vendor and had no problem with delivery to my physical address. I've tried to straighten this out with Amazon, several times, to no avail--it's very difficult to get through to mega on-line shops. You might, however be able to question the seller and ask if he or she would ship to you.

Good luck. And remember, nothing is easy.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
UkeJohn, may I ask you how did you manage to get the guitar from Amazon Canada ? I am trying to buy from them a Rainsong Smokey for $930 USD, but I get the message that it cannot be shipped to my address in Michigan.
Thanks !
Hi Gerardo,

Given the asking price was well below wholesale, Jon actually called me about the guitar as he had some concerns about the authenticity. I checked with Rainsong for him and they confirmed that the guitars are covered by Rainsong, but they are meant for the Canadian market only, so they cannot be shipped to the US. I believe Jon had a friend in Canada to accept the guitar, who then sent it to him, which is what you will need to do. But make sure you are listed as the buyer, not your Canadian friend, otherwise they will be considered the first owner, not you, and you will not get a warranty.

As to the price, Amazon CA is no longer an authorized Rainsong dealer so it would appear they are dumping guitars they were shipped in 2015.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 07-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Gerardo,

Given the asking price was well below wholesale, Jon actually called me about the guitar as he had some concerns about the authenticity. I checked with Rainsong for him and they confirmed that the guitars are covered by Rainsong, but they are meant for the Canadian market only, so they cannot be shipped to the US. I believe Jon had a friend in Canada to accept the guitar, who then sent it to him, which is what you will need to do. But make sure you are listed as the buyer, not your Canadian friend, otherwise they will be considered the first owner, not you, and you will not get a warranty.

As to the price, Amazon CA is no longer an authorized Rainsong dealer so it would appear they are dumping guitars they were shipped in 2015.
I'm very appreciative that my friend Ted was able to verify that these guitars offered by Amazon CA were legit. Loving this CF guitar!

2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber