The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 06:21 PM

Default An interesting and unexpected experience with string preferences

Yesterday I replaced the Curt Mangan strings (Phosphor Bronze coated, 13-56 gauge) on my Martin dreadnaught with Elixir 80/20s of the same gauge. The Mangans had never sounded good to begin with and died within a matter of two weeks. And I didn't even realize how stiff and tense they are until I read experiences from other players here. In short, they were awful.

After I installed the Elixirs, I was elated. "Oh my gosh," I thought to myself, "I love my guitar again!"

The feel, the sound, everything was just perfect.

"I wonder if I finally found the perfect set of strings for this guitar," is what I thought.

I then checked my string log, where I've been noting down when I changed strings, the brand, the gauge, how long they lasted and my comments.

Turns out I had already played those exact strings on that same guitar, about 4 years ago.

My notes read: "Slippery feel, tone is too jangly and trebly for my taste."

Go figure!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Great story!

Makes me think, OK the Elixir 80/20s are (for you) fantastic compared to the Curt Mangans. Four years ago, they were unpleasant compared to whatever came before.

What came before? Could have been something truly spectacular!

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 PM

I had same reaction with my D18 about a month ago almost word for word. Thing is I tried Elixir strings a few years ago the 80/20 nano's and did not like them again word for word almost to what you said . A friend who emails me once in a while said to try them again I did and now love them. First thing I thought was Elixir made some improvements they had to. I tried them on the same D18 in 2012 with the same set up and they sure didn't sound this good. I like 80/20's over phosphor bronze on my D18 and the current 80/20 nano's are now my only strings for the D18.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 PM

Great post! I'm guilty of finally "knowing" what strings are best for me on each guitar. And while I may have nailed it on some or in general, my thought is that as our guitars and aural palette mature, string choices may morph.

It's an interesting observation you've made.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 PM

Guitars change with time, or even daily based on humidity etc. people change even more. It's not always obvious or even perceptible, but it can be very evident when doing something you're mostly controlling with fine motor skills like playing an acoustic guitar by yourself or playing golf.

I'm not a big golfer, but sometimes it comes (relatively) easy and natural, many other times I feel like I have two left hands. Even consistency and repetition can't keep a person constant. The best pro golfers are often dramatically different with the same tournament or even round.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Funny thing about strings

Strings are like baseball hats: You have a favorite for a while, but then you change and have a new favorite.

Lately, my new favorite string (on 2 guitars) are GHS Vintage Bronze.

If you are not familiar with them, they are an 85/15 alloy and are a little mellower than phosphor bronze, and far less harsh than 80/20. And yet, they have a great, ringing, tone. Now let's see how long they last. But I love what I hear, esp on a small rosewood triple-O, and an older Guild mahogany dreadnought.

I also like (to my astonishment) Martin Monel strings. They have a unique sound and stay in tune nicely. I am not thrilled with the gauges offered, but the Mediums (more like a True Medium) are very nice.

They are a far cry from other nickel-wound strings - brighter and with better sustain. I don't know what Martin uses for the nickel alloy, but it's really good.

Tried the D'Addario Bronze/Nickel alloy on a mahogany dreadnought. They sound fine, but I'm not convinced that the high price (around $12.00 per set) is worth it. For less than half the price, you can get GHS Vintage Bronze and be every bit as happy with the sound of your guitar.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I mostly play electric and love Mangan strings on all my electrics. I just started playing acoustic, so naturally I put Mangan PB 12-56 on my (inexpensive) Dread. My issue was that after playing them in for a few days, they just didn't complement the guitar. They went from a little 'too new' sounding to too mellow, if that makes sense. Last week I put on a set of Elixir 80/20s and like what I'm hearing so far. It's the first time I've tried Elixirs.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting how our tastes and preferences change for the same strings on the same guitar over time. I have had similar experiences.

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2016, 06:14 AM

Curt Mangan's for me are the best strings I've used in years.

They last for months and when I remove them I do so because it's been so long, not that I can tell they've lost any tonal qualities.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Good thread. I like your idea of a String Journal

A bunch of years ago I tried Elixir (original version)strings and loved them. I thought the coating made them easier on my fingers, after four 4 hour gigs a week, my fingers were sore, so they helped, at least in my mind... A few years later I switched over to the Nano Lights and they were good too. Last year I changed to the Martin SP Flexible Strings and they feel great, sound great and seem to last a long time. Maybe I 'll start my own string journal...
Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have had this experience as well and after 12 years of trying all sorts of strings, I have narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 flavors, if you will, and do change it up every now and then.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Good thread. I like your idea of a String Journal

A bunch of years ago I tried Elixir (original version)strings and loved them. I thought the coating made them easier on my fingers, after four 4 hour gigs a week, my fingers were sore, so they helped, at least in my mind... A few years later I switched over to the Nano Lights and they were good too. Last year I changed to the Martin SP Flexible Strings and they feel great, sound great and seem to last a long time. Maybe I 'll start my own string journal...
I'm a fan of the Martin SP"s. Seem to last forever on my 000-15. However John Pearse 600l's work great the Yamaha FG730, great to sing with. Something about the tone works well with my voice ( if I can call it that) that other strings just dont have. "Darker" tone for lack of a better analogy?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
Strings are like baseball hats: You have a favorite for a while, but then you change and have a new favorite.

Lately, my new favorite string (on 2 guitars) are GHS Vintage Bronze.

If you are not familiar with them, they are an 85/15 alloy and are a little mellower than phosphor bronze, and far less harsh than 80/20. And yet, they have a great, ringing, tone. Now let's see how long they last. But I love what I hear, esp on a small rosewood triple-O, and an older Guild mahogany dreadnought.

I also like (to my astonishment) Martin Monel strings. They have a unique sound and stay in tune nicely. I am not thrilled with the gauges offered, but the Mediums (more like a True Medium) are very nice.

They are a far cry from other nickel-wound strings - brighter and with better sustain. I don't know what Martin uses for the nickel alloy, but it's really good.

Tried the D'Addario Bronze/Nickel alloy on a mahogany dreadnought. They sound fine, but I'm not convinced that the high price (around $12.00 per set) is worth it. For less than half the price, you can get GHS Vintage Bronze and be every bit as happy with the sound of your guitar.
"Monel" is the actual alloy. It is a nickel/copper alloy that occurs naturally in a mine in Canada. It was duplicated for use in high corrosion environments like contact with seawater. It was popular for strings up until WWII when it became unavailable due to defense demand and only recently made a big comeback. A few companies picked it back up after the war but it was never widely distributed compared to the bronze alloys.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Confessions Of A Former Elixir and Taylor Basher: IMHO, most negative reaction to Elixir strings was fostered, early on, by their factory-installation on Taylor guitars. To some folks, Taylor guitars of a decade or more ago may have sounded very bright and sterile compared to the established brands of guitars. Taylor was also the first company to embrace CNC machine tools in modernizing their manufacturing processes. Taylor and Elixir, therefore, became kind of grouped together by some traditionally-minded players as upstart companies because both were seen as barging-in on some sort of traditionalism in Guitardom. In the ensuing years, both Taylor guitars and Elixir strings have become widely accepted by many players the world over. I've loved Elixir strings for years, now, especially on my Taylor and RainSong guitars.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM

Dan,

I had a guitar I had actually listed for sale here on the Forum when I put a set of Martin Monels on it. Long story short, the strings turned the guitar into a tone monster in minutes and I pulled the listing! It's probably my favorite guitar at the moment.

Strings matter!

John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion