The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Do you like the natural reverb of an open room?

What about the natural reverb from a closed room versus the openness of the outdoors? Do you like the sound-waves to come back to you or travel into open space?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Yes, my guitars sound better inside than out. Even better in the garage.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

I like them both. Weather conditions have a big effect too. We have one shower w/ a bench. That was nice reverb.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluidity View Post
What about the natural reverb from a closed room versus the openness of the outdoors? Do you like the sound-waves to come back to you or travel into open space?
Hi sf

Sure - I like the sound of my guitars indoors better than outdoors. I enjoy sitting outdoors playing and it's a nice situation, but my guitars sound better indoors.

Part of it is proximity and the ability to hear them easier, and part of it I'm sure is the rooms I play in.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Default Do you like the natural reverb of an open room?

Very nice post! I love both. I found out recently that singing and playing just a guitar sounds amazing with a bit of reverb from my hallway (hardwood floors and tall ceiling) or when my garage is empty from my cars. I found that out one day after I was playing with a friend in his condo downtown Chicago. When I went to pick up my car from the garage, I was alone with virtually an empty garage in the 4th floor and what intrigued my curiosity was the sound of my car's door when I close it. I then took my guitar out and start playing. It felt extremely beautiful.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 PM

I'm hearing impaired, so I enjoy rooms with lots of hard surfaces to reflect the sound back at me. So I guess I mainly enjoy closed rooms. I've only played outside a handful of times, and while romantic, I don't enjoy the sound as much.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 PM

My church has great natural reverb. Sometimes I will show up early for practice. That room makes my little 000 sound even better! It's full and really deep! What it does to our grand piano would make your jaw drop!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:47 PM

The ambience of where I play is just something I have to cope with, wether I like it or not. Forunately electronics nowadays can greatly influence what I hear so it's not a big problem for me.

I do occasionally hear it's not sounding right from where I am sitting, even unplugged, but that's no indication on how it sounds to the public. In such a situation I might try moving to another spot so it's easier for myself, but it doesn't always workout.

Ludwig
Old 06-09-2016, 02:50 PM

I like playing on my deck outside in the morning with my coffee and the birds, but I was tuning my guitar in my 1/2 bath with the door open which opens into a larger bedroom, empty except for my humidifier and guitars. It has oak flooring. Anyway, as I got it tuned up, I played a song, and WOW! I guess it was just the right location, because I have had so much bouncing around in other rooms. The waves' reverb in the smaller room I was playing in bounced and then exited into the larger room to escape, quite a nice surprise for sure. I don't know about recording in there but I will try sometime.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM

I play outdoors a lot but there's nothing like a marble or tiled room or stairwell to play in.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 PM

I used to play in my parents stairwell in their 4 bedroom colonial in NJ. Like the reverb in there once & a while. Love playing outside too- weather permitting!

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I play outdoors a lot but there's nothing like a marble or tiled room or stairwell to play in.
I prefer the sound indoors and I'll second the comment about the sound in a stairwell. I have a U-shaped stairwell with a sloped roof/ceiling that leads to my music room in the loft of my home. Sometimes I sit on the top step or stand on the landing and play a bit just to catch that sound.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM

For me, it quite literally depends on the room. Some will give you a full, lush sound, while others can create unpleasant vibrations when you hit certain notes. Which I think we can all agree is no fun at all....

But, yeah, I like playing outdoors in nice weather, indoors in all weathers.

One thing I've noticed about playing outdoors is that I tend to pitch my singing a bit higher than when I'm indoors, just so it'll carry better.

whm
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Guest4562

I hate facing a super live room for a gig. Reflection nightmare.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Large room, high ceilings, hardwood floors, just make the guitar and voice sound awesome. Yes I know in a gig setting lots of problems with a band. I never played a pro gig outside but most I have heard out dont sound as good as indoors. I dont know the formula but I have read/heard that playing outdoors and sounding good requires about 3-4 times the amp power with placement critical for the band to sound good. True??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion