The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Why wouldn't an excellent condition used guitar sell for more than a new one?

Think about it. We all talk about a guitar "opening up." What is that worth? Two guitars, one a 2010, another 2016, same model, same build, nothing has changed. The 2010 is used, plays like a dream. The 2016 is new, plays like a dream. The 2010 has "opened up" and blows the doors off the 2016, yet which one costs more?

Are we, as guitar lovers, actually undermining the used guitar market by refusing to pay top dollar for a great used guitar?

Shouldn't a guitar be valued by tone first?

But I probably wouldn't pay more or the same price if faced with the above scenario. Maybe I'm just brainwashed to think that new is always better.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 PM

Remember, when you're buying it is used and abused, when you're selling it is vintage with patina.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Because the new one comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Two guitars, one a 2010, another 2016, same model, same build, nothing has changed
The warranty has changed.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Because in 2022 the 2016 guitar will also be 6 years older and should sound like the 2010 does now - except you've had 6 years of enjoyment playing it and growing old together.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-20-2016, 08:43 PM

You're right! Although, when I recently bought my used 032C Lowden at Gruhn, it was hanging next to other guitars, from Martin to Gibson, that were actually less than this one was. And I thought it was based solely on the fact that the Lowden is a 1991 and has really opened up in that time. All it needed was the action lowered a bit. The Lowden has some dings here and there but nothing of major concern for me. As long as it doesn't have a crack or something like that then I'm just checking for tone and this one has it! But most important to me was the fact that it eclipsed every other guitar in the shop that day. I was shocked that it had been in the shop for over two weeks without being sold. I guess, for me anyway, I'm past the whole thing about "look at that beautiful guitar" phase. Now I need a workhorse that gives me the intonation and balance I expect without all the fluff stuff. Now, I do enjoy seeing those guitars but if the sound doesn't match up then I walk away.

Price,

Most of the time retailers are forced to sell at or near the suggested retail price, within a couple hundred bucks, set by the makers. If they go too far under those prices, I was told that they could lose the ability to carry and or sell the guitars altogether. So that's part of it. Warranties are mostly a waste, I've never owned a new guitar that needed any warranty work.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM

They don't sell for more, but check ebay and the classifieds here, because oftentimes used guitars are certainly listed for more than new ones.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadful View Post
The warranty has changed.

The next time someone wants to hear you play a song, take out the warranty and play that instead of the guitar,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM

To put it simply, "the unknown." When you buy a new guitar you have certain assurances that it has not been abused and that there are no structural "issues." If there are, then there is a warranty, which is worth something. Every time I buy a used instrument, I think to myself, "what am I not seeing?" It isn't that I don't trust sellers; but there are certain assurances that come with buying new. As an additional factor, while I believe acoustic instruments do open up, I don't believe all acoustic instruments get better with age.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 PM

True, it has everything to do with whether they were actually played as to whether they have opened up at all.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:13 PM

A small fraction of one percent of anything ever sells for as much or more than the new version of the same item. As others have said, warranty and the ability to return an item has great value to most buyers. That's what you are paying for when you buy new instead of used on the secondary market.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:28 PM

TBman, you crack me up. You ask questions with no real answer or that have answers that are obvious. You remind me of a friend of my son's who was very much like this wonderful child.

http://youtu.be/PrNhoCVTAg4

Please don't stop, I love it.

........Mike
Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
TBman, you crack me up. You ask questions with no real answer or that have answers that are obvious. You remind me of a friend of my son's who was very much like this wonderful child.

http://youtu.be/PrNhoCVTAg4

Please don't stop, I love it.

........Mike

I'm one of those guys that ask, "If speeding is illegal, why does my speedometer go up to 120?"

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Because the new one comes with a lifetime warranty.
Hmmm, that privilege often turns out to be a tad less immaculate in practice than it initially seems ...
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_mangum View Post
As others have said, warranty and the ability to return an item has great value to most buyers. That's what you are paying for when you buy new instead of used on the secondary market.
You can return used guitars if you stick with reputable dealers and avoid private individuals selling on forums, eBay, and such like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion