The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm considering giving up on eBay and switching to Reverb.com

The title says it, eBays fees are getting pretty high and I'm thinking about making the switch to Reverb and the forums for 100% of my selling and buying. Has anyone done the same on here?

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM

Yep. AGF and Reverb are working well for me. I still like to use EBay for research, though.
2015 Larrivee Legacy OM-40 / Mahg.
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M ‘Burst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R / Rosewood
Old 02-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I haven't eliminated eBay, but it is a last resort. I have had good experiences buying and selling on Reverb.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knollhavenguita View Post
Yep. AGF and Reverb are working well for me. I still like to use EBay for research, though.
Same here... have both bought and sold on Reverb..... I'm very pleased with their traffic and method of operation and all at a much more reasonable cost...
Old 02-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Initially I thought "what's he grousing about?" Ebay PayPal fees have never been too bad. However, after your posting I looked up seller value fees + PayPal fees. I'll likely not sell there again. There's no way to recoup 10%. PayPal fee of 3.5% I don't mind but not an additional 10% to Ebay - after listing fees.

Thanks for your public service announcement.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM

A while back eBay became a selling ground for mainly professional dealers. Pity.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM

For many years I've sold stuff on local Craigslist. Seeing you live in the Bay Area too, I think you can have excellent results selling locally as well.

I refuse to ship any instruments after one very bad experience years back. The good news is that there are many players with cash living locally. I've never failed to sell an instrument on local CL. It may take a little longer, but it always works in the end.

Since I only deal in cash, I do my sales at either our local Police Station or reserve a private room at my local bank (free). Buyers like that security too!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31 AM

What a timely post. I just sold on ebay and never thought to list on Reverb although I browsed the Reverb site all this week.

I will be switching from ebay though. I used to sell there for years and stopped when all the higher fees and mandatory returns started. I forgot about the fees this last time. My fees were roughly $15 on a $105 item. Ouch! I really wanted the product gone and locally I live in a small, non-musically oriented market so demand was non-existent after waiting some time to sale from a local ad for what I had which is why I accepted the ebay fees to sell there. From now on, I'll remember to use Reverb for selling music stuff. I've also taken to using 5miles, Offerup and any other local sales as well as forum classifieds like this one.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Reverb

My 0.02.

I love Reverb and so does my wife. She really digs the online store aspect that Reverb cultivates (letting you pick a name, banner, etc). She takes many of my photos (you can pick out the photos I took very easily) and constantly posts stuff on social media for me. Check it out if you're interested. Search Sunny Valley Music.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM

Have had good experiences with reverb both buying and selling...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:05 AM

I read a report in a business journal that Reverb received a substantial investment recently to expand it's business operations into this general market (as I recall it was over $2 million) -
I can only see that it's main competition would be ebay.

With ebay fees spiking up and with Paypal cornering a niche market - competition will probably, eventually put a damper on ebay's attitude.

I prefer Reverb but do research, probably like the OP, where ever I can find it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic