The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM

Default Selling a Keeper

Several years ago, I was on the market for a rosewood OM. I wanted something very traditional and as close to a pre-war Martin as I could find. If a Martin OM-28 Authentic had been around at that time, that might have been what I would have done. I ended up commissioning a custom through a small builder.

It was a wonderful process. I visited his shop, played several of his guitars, and got to know him and his process. After agreeing to move forward with a build, I was able to flip through his sets of wood and select some beautiful curly Brazilian rosewood to use for the back and sides. Thinking this to be the process of building a keeper, I didn't hold back on any details, including the ivory nut, saddle, and pins. The finished product was and remains really remarkable, and it was a lot of fun getting there.

Here's the catch: Over the last four years or so, my ears have really developed a stronger taste for mahogany. Almost two years ago, I picked up a beautiful H&D TOM-M, and I've barely touched any other guitar since. That one has just really been satisfying me. In fact, I have subsequently sold off almost everything else in the stable.

Lately, it's been bothering me to have this gorgeous guitar sitting in its case in the corner. I honestly never thought I would part ways with it, and I'm not sure I ever actually could pull the trigger, but I'm starting to at least ponder the possibility. I'm not someone who holds onto things for sentimental purposes--in fact, I'm a chronic purger. I generally don't buy things, and, if I haven't used something in a couple of weeks, it usually goes up on eBay or gets dropped off at Goodwill.

When I proposed the idea of parting ways with the custom, my partner was 100% opposed. She actually prefers the sound of rosewood to mahogany, and she made a valid point that I'll never be able to replace this guitar at the price I paid for it.

I'm probably going to listen to her, but I wanted to get some thoughts from people who have been down this road before. What would you do?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

If you do not need the money, and you bought your Keeper at a great price, I would hold onto it, as the value will not decrease as long as you keep it maintained. My ears need different sounds over the years, even week to week. That is why I have guitars with various wood combinations. As I have gotten older, I appreciate Mahogany more and more, but always go "WOW" when I play my rosewood models.

Again, if it is not a money issue, keep it. It is art, and you are a part of its creation (being a custom) and not easily replaced if your tastes change.

Last edited by vintageom; 01-28-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Beats me. I'm in the same position with my custom Telecaster. I seldom play it, but can't think about parting with it. My wife said something interesting to me the other day when I mentioned getting rid of some I don't play much.

She said, why? They are paid for and you might find you do play them later down the road. The question is this. Down the road will you/I be posting about these guitars as the one that got away?

Personally if I had a guitar custom built I would not sell it. The fact is it means way more to you than it ever would anyone else and you will never be happy with the money you could actually sell it for.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Unless there's a spacial concern or need for the funds involved I don't see the benefit of selling any of your stable. To be fair I was a collector long before trying to learn so I don't mind if a certain guitar doesn't get as much playing time.
2012 Martin OM-21
1962 Gibson LG-0
A few mandolins & more electrics than I'll admit

"Yesterday is history and tomorrow, a mystery but today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." - Babatunde Olatunji
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

"Selling a keeper"?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Listen to your partner. Play some songs for her on that guitar.

When I think about getting rid of a guitar, I play it more often... it reminds me why I brought it home in the first place. I try not to have "a favorite," but there is a size and sound that I prefer. Not to the point that I want to get rid of anything else, though.

If space and finances don't come into play, enjoy the variety.

Good luck with the decision. (subliminal suggestion: don't sell the keeper)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I think the Captain is a romantic!

Seriously, though, that's a great idea. (I'm assuming she doesn't play and isn't interested in playing guitar, or I'd suggest letting it be her guitar for a while.)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Keep it.

I, like you, am a purger. I detest clutter in general and if a guitar isn't getting played - it goes. That said, most I have gotten rid of were about comfort and not tone. Anything over OM size is not particularly comfortable for me. The last one I sold (a stellar Eastman GA) was replaced by the RW Alvarez.

The reason I say keep it is this: More than likely your tastes will change and evolve through time just like they are in the process of doing now. The saying "The only constant in this life is change" is true.

Two years ago I was a diehard Spruce/Mahogany guy. I had three in my stable - 000 12 fret (now my wives guitar), GA & OM. I loved the punchy and fundamental tone of them. My taste changed and I like the ability to vary my tonal palette now. For years I didn't care for solid Mahogany guitars or Spruce/RW ones. My favorite tone is now solid Sapele, go and figure.

One good thing about having a great spouse that enjoys music is that they provide our counterbalance to making such decisions - a Yin/Yang thing. Keep it, if for no other reason than the build memories and your wives tonal preference. I suspect one day your ears will desire what that guitar has to offer.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
"Selling a keeper"?? Isn't that an oxymoron?

When I think about getting rid of a guitar, I play it more often... it reminds me why I brought it home in the first place. I try not to have "a favorite," but there is a size and sound that I prefer. Not to the point that I want to get rid of anything else, though.

If space and finances don't come into play, enjoy the variety.

Good luck with the decision. (subliminal suggestion: don't sell the keeper)
Totally agree. Further, make a point of playing that guitar at gigs /out/whatever.

You like OMs , I like 12 fret dreads. I have four by the same maker - two roses and two hogs. I used to keep them for specific reasons (sitka/hog for bluegrass band, old rose/sitka for "dodgy" gigs, etc.

OPne is currently away having some work done, and the newer rose never got played much - so now I'm making it my No.1 guitar. Next month, maybe the Adi/hog. Give 'em all a chance to breathe!

Give your rose OM a chance to breathe, playing only makes them better.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM

If you drop it off at goodwill, please let me know which one...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM

^^^This is why we need a "LIKE" button!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejchis View Post
Several years ago, I was on the market for a rosewood OM. I wanted something very traditional and as close to a pre-war Martin as I could find. If a Martin OM-28 Authentic had been around at that time, that might have been what I would have done. I ended up commissioning a custom through a small builder.

It was a wonderful process. I visited his shop, played several of his guitars, and got to know him and his process. After agreeing to move forward with a build, I was able to flip through his sets of wood and select some beautiful curly Brazilian rosewood to use for the back and sides. Thinking this to be the process of building a keeper, I didn't hold back on any details, including the ivory nut, saddle, and pins. The finished product was and remains really remarkable, and it was a lot of fun getting there.

Here's the catch: Over the last four years or so, my ears have really developed a stronger taste for mahogany. Almost two years ago, I picked up a beautiful H&D TOM-M, and I've barely touched any other guitar since. That one has just really been satisfying me. In fact, I have subsequently sold off almost everything else in the stable.

Lately, it's been bothering me to have this gorgeous guitar sitting in its case in the corner. I honestly never thought I would part ways with it, and I'm not sure I ever actually could pull the trigger, but I'm starting to at least ponder the possibility. I'm not someone who holds onto things for sentimental purposes--in fact, I'm a chronic purger. I generally don't buy things, and, if I haven't used something in a couple of weeks, it usually goes up on eBay or gets dropped off at Goodwill.

When I proposed the idea of parting ways with the custom, my partner was 100% opposed. She actually prefers the sound of rosewood to mahogany, and she made a valid point that I'll never be able to replace this guitar at the price I paid for it.

I'm probably going to listen to her, but I wanted to get some thoughts from people who have been down this road before. What would you do?
The problem is, your tastes may change again. It would be a heartbreaker if you sold it, and then your tastes changed back to rosewood from mahogany and you regretted the sale of an extraordinary instrument. Your partner is right - keep the keeper.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

And here I thought this thread was about mc1's new "Keeper" brand guitar.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM

me too, that's why you'll have to ask mc1.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=416901

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Another victim of Huss and Dalton disease, it seems.

I caught it a few months ago, and most of my other guitars now sit in their cases.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM

A guitar like that would be a large portion of my Guitar Budget. If I found myself not playing it, and I know I would play other guitars more, I would seriously think about that.

I have pursued guitars that fit my working understanding of my needs. I have found excellent examples. After living with them, sometimes for years, I have realized I wasn't "a Model X guy" and used the guitar to trade towards my next better tool.

I am pleased to say I haven't looked back, and I love the guitars I have, and I am a LOT more likely to play my current set the same amount, nothing off in the corner, unused.

Both approaches work, and if you have ANY reservations, you should listen to them. If you know you'll be fine, go for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion