The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Default CA cargo raw vs Rainsong Smokey

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a carbon fiber acoustic guitar. The low maintenance durability is a great fit for the high desert, and I love the look of both these guitars. Problem is, I've been to 3 different guitar centers in about a 7 hour radius, and none have had either of these.
So since I am unable to play either of these, I leave my decision up to you good folks.
What are the main differences in sound, feel, and build? Is one better quality than the other? Does one carry a better warranty? Is the 300-400 $ price difference worth it for the Rainsong?

Thanks for your time and wisdom!
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 PM

PM sent. I have both a gloss CA cargo (not raw) and a Rainsong WS-1000 (not a Smokey, but I have played one). The Cargo is a small guitar with a short scale, but sounds bigger than it looks. Smokey is nice too and feels more like a old Gibson L00 or similar in size.

Last edited by Earl49; 01-16-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:32 AM

Don't forget to check out the Blackbird Lucky 13 too...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 01-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe26 View Post
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a carbon fiber acoustic guitar. The low maintenance durability is a great fit for the high desert, and I love the look of both these guitars. Problem is, I've been to 3 different guitar centers in about a 7 hour radius, and none have had either of these.
So since I am unable to play either of these, I leave my decision up to you good folks.
What are the main differences in sound, feel, and build? Is one better quality than the other? Does one carry a better warranty? Is the 300-400 $ price difference worth it for the Rainsong?

Thanks for your time and wisdom!
Hi Jeffe,

You are comparing apple to cantaloupes here. The Cargo is a 3/4 size travel guitar with very short 22.75" scale, and basic electronics, while the Smokey is a full size Grand Auditorium with 24.9" scale, and premium electronics, especially if you opt for the Anthem.

Are you looking for a travel guitar?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM

Ted just said exactly what I was thinking. I now have a Rainsong WS-1000 and a Blackbird Lucky 13, I play them both daily. Both of these are better for pure tone and projection than the Cargo will be... but if you are looking for a travel guitar, the Cargo sounds like a winner.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Thanks Ted, I didn't look close enough at the specs obviously, I had no idea the cargo was a 3/4 size. Not what I'm looking for. With the Smokey, Is there a big difference in quality between the all graphite and the hybrid? How would you describe the sound? I have watched a few YouTube videos but haven't been able to get my hands on one.
Thanks!
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe26 View Post
Thanks Ted, I didn't look close enough at the specs obviously, I had no idea the cargo was a 3/4 size. Not what I'm looking for. With the Smokey, Is there a big difference in quality between the all graphite and the hybrid? How would you describe the sound? I have watched a few YouTube videos but haven't been able to get my hands on one.
Thanks!
Glad I could help.

As to the tonal difference between all the carbon, and hybrid Rainsongs, with full carbon fiber you will get more punch, a bit more volume, and better clarity, while the hybrid models will have a mellower tone, with a hint of a "vintage" vibe.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 AM

Jeffe - FWIW, I much prefer the tone of the hybrid model to the full CF model. Mellower in a good way, but still has that CF clarity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber