The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Default Rain song vs CA vs?

So I'm thinking a CF instrument may not be bad. I always play plugged.
I take the instrument back and forth a lot.
I'm around 6 other musicians moving around on stage.

So, in the CF world what can I do for 1.5k "ish"? I'm looking for playability, and great sound while amplified. Acoustic sound is great, but not most important.

Thanks for advise
B

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Although I have not played all the Carbon Guitars out there Snowman, any of the big 6 (CA, Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird, Journey, Kevin Michael) are all quality instruments from my research!!! IMHO you cannot go wrong from any of them... Check out their websites and get a general "feel" for one that talks to your Soul Amigo...$1500 might be on the lower end for a Carbon Fiber, but they may be out there to suit you...Good Luck on you quest!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 12-25-2015, 07:20 PM

Default Blackbird

Blackbird Lucky 13 w K&K is what works for me. Used around $1500. It will soon be my only guitar - it works that well for me.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 12-25-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Although I have not played all the Carbon Guitars out there Snowman, any of the big 6 (CA, Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird, Journey, Kevin Michael) are all quality instruments from my research!!! IMHO you cannot go wrong from any of them... Check out their websites and get a general "feel" for one that talks to your Soul Amigo...$1500 might be on the lower end for a Carbon Fiber, but they may be out there to suit you...Good Luck on you quest!!!

I'll check it out the 1500 is variable

Old 12-25-2015, 11:03 PM

If you make use of the frets above the fifth, I highly recommend being sure the guitar you buy is capable of having the action and relief set to what you would want.

I've owned composite/carbon fiber guitars which had that capability, and some which didn't. Only the ones which allowed such have remained.

Sorry that my advice isn't brand specific, but hopefully it will be helpful as you try them out.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:16 PM

I currently own a pre-peavey CA-GX, but if the Blackbird Lucky13 (2013 or later) was out at the time I probably would have gone for one of those. Of course it depends on what you like - I like to play finger style. If I was more of a strummer, perhaps a Rainsong, although I find them a bit "shimmery". The CA (to me) is more of an all rounder. IMHO. I really liked the prototype Blackbird El-Capitan I tried - have you see the new burst model? - but they are quite pricey.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 AM

You might try one of the new RainSong Smokeys. They are right in that price range and they sound great plugged in or acoustic.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Reality to me is all the makers make fine instruments. If you are always plugged in you may want to decide the pickup system that you like the best. And see if you can get that in your CF guitar. I think through a pickup there is not going to me a huge difference in sound between guitars. What style guitar do you like, traditional, modern? What is your neck preference?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Off the top of my head the two that come to mind in the 1500 ish price range are the Rainsong H-DR1100N2, which is a full gloss Dreadnought made with Rainsongs hybrid material, and the CA OX RAW, which is an all carbon fiber OM with their most utilitarian finish. But if at all possible, I would suggest you try them as they sound, and feel very different.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:48 AM

The Rainsong Smokey with the Baggs Stagepro Element is about $1500. You might be able to order one without electronics and install something else. A lot of people seem to like the JJB version of the K&K Pure Mini which is only $49. And a lot of Rainsong owners seem happy with the Pure Mini.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Another one I'd add to Ted's list is the Emerald X20. The one with the matte finish would fall right in your price range I believe.

I've been lucky enough to try a lot of CF guitars. My cliff's notes are as follows:

Rainsong sticks to traditional guitar shapes and has innovated with their actual carbon fiber material to achieve very nice tones.

Emerald is very innovative in construction processes and guitar shapes. They don't sound as bright and open as Rainsong.

CA guitars tend to have a darker tone than the others, and they are quite heavy. But they can't be beat for bass response or overall output.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
So I'm thinking a CF instrument may not be bad. I always play plugged.
I take the instrument back and forth a lot.
I'm around 6 other musicians moving around on stage.

So, in the CF world what can I do for 1.5k "ish"? I'm looking for playability, and great sound while amplified. Acoustic sound is great, but not most important.

Thanks for advise
B

You are looking for a full size guitar body vs. parlor size, correct?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber