The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Default "Fargo" Season 2 Recap

Season 2 is now over, thought I'd wait a bit to post to give folks who record it to have watched the finale.

Overall, it easily ranks up there with season 1 but very different, much darker. Performances were great, particularly Kirsten Dunst who I had never liked in anything prior to this. Patrick Wilson as the young Lou Solverson was excellent although there didn't seem to be a continuity between him and his season one personality. Jean Smart and Bokeem Woodbine were stellar as the crimelords.

A lot more action and violence than any previous "Fargo". Unlike last season, I didn't get a sense of what a season 3 might be. They really met the high mark of season 1 unlike "True Detective" who had a very muddled season 2.

I still have no idea what was behind the flying saucer narrative or what it had to do with anything.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 PM

Great stuff for the most part . Slightly cartooney in a couple of places , but I easily overlooked that and appreciated the surreality of many more scenes, especially with the Blumquists . BW was great as Mike Milligan, who we know would survive and thrive, but it was sad to see where his promotion landed him . Lots of fun plot twists and twisted moments. Hansi was a great character too . I recall , watching the intro leaf through the 'history' book at the start of the finales, thinking "that may be what next season is about" , about some stuff that happened about a hundred years earlier...

I will stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 PM

I liked season 1 a bit more. IMO, Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton duo played real strong characters which carried the series. In season 2, Kirsten Dunst carried the show when she appeared. I thought the storyline was weaker as well. That is not to say, I didn't enjoy it.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Humanist

Flying saucer...lame distraction...as was most of the final episode. Otherwise I give it two thumbs up.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-20-2015, 07:24 PM

bout the only thing the saucer did was appear to help Hansi track or figure out what happened at the scene of the hit-and-run . Otherwise, totally unnecessary ; a lame gimmick . The show doesn't need to stoop to such
theatrical contrivances ; stick to the ones that work !
Old 12-20-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
bout the only thing the saucer did was appear to help Hansi track or figure out what happened at the scene of the hit-and-run . Otherwise, totally unnecessary ; a lame gimmick . The show doesn't need to stoop to such
theatrical contrivances ; stick to the ones that work !
The saucer caused the accident that started the whole chain of events. Can't imagine why it would appear at the big gunfight or why there was only a short dialog exchange about it after.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM

Loved it but agree in part with Larry about the UFO.
Brilliant television, I've seen many major release films that weren't as good.
Everyone was exceptionally good, even Ted Danson!
Billy Bob was the standout in season 1.
Kirsten Dunst takes it out in season 2.
Love that accent they use, it was also in the original Coen brothers movie yah.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 PM

All great stuff including the saucer appearances. Just like the music from the era that was part of the great cinema verite ambience of the show the saucer was representative of the "real" UFO flap that actually happened at that time in the area.

I have enjoyed both seasons thus far and look forward to whatever (evil and redemption) is coming in season #3.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-21-2015, 10:07 AM

I liked season 1 better, I think #2 had too many characters going (at least until half got killed off).
I wonder if season 3 is going to take us another 10 years into the past?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-21-2015, 10:47 AM

The Flying saucer was never really explained/explored but I seem to recall that at some point in season 1, it started raining fish.....which was never explained?

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM

My second favorite series of all-time, next to Breaking Bad. I love the quirky-ness of Fargo. If you like Kirsten Dunst's performance you should check her out in a movie called "Drop Dead Gorgeous". Her character is very similar with the accent and all. Quite an entertaining movie too, though it's a comedy.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
The Flying saucer was never really explained/explored but I seem to recall that at some point in season 1, it started raining fish.....which was never explained?
The fish were explained in a brief reference to a small tornado having picked them up from a nearby lake.

I just finished watching season 1 after already seeing 2. I found it easier to like season 1, maybe because the distinction between heroes and villains was more clearcut.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM

I loved every bit of season 2 up to the ufo and the last episode. I thought for such a strong season (good writing and great acting), they let themselves down the the final two episodes. The Ufo was unnecessary and silly, and the last episode just wandered around without really giving me any final punch or twist that I would expect. I would say I liked it more than season 1 on the whole, and it was definitely an interesting offering. Miles better than true detective season two which was a mess.

Looking forward to season 3, as the concept itself is interesting and their casting is perfect. I too have never liked kirsten dunst until this role. She did a great job.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Performances were great, particularly Kirsten Dunst....

Loved season 1, and thought it had the edge over season 2 plot wise, but the acting in season 2, especially Dunst, left me thinking that both seasons were exceptional TV fare, way above the kind of material that most of the Emmys usually go to. (Doesn't anyone who votes on these Emmy shows watch Fargo and The Americans? Apparently not....)
Dunst was sooo good in season 2. Not just her delivery and perfect accent, but her demeanor, mannerisms, even the non-spoken facial expressions. She was all in for this one. I hope she gets some kind of recognition.
And the writers too.
Glad there will be a Fargo 3!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-21-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The saucer caused the accident that started the whole chain of events. Can't imagine why it would appear at the big gunfight or why there was only a short dialog exchange about it after.
Yeah, I forgot it caused the accident that set off the whole poopstorm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic