The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Merrill recommendations?

Been missing the traditional mahogany sound after selling a D-18. For some reason, I've started fixating on Merrill guitars. I've never seen one, but my superficial impression is they are light weight, can have an excellent prewar Martin type tone, but are prone to structural problems. They enjoy a cult-like following, most are snapped up right away, and those that are on the market may have "issues". Correct me if this is too much of an over-generalization.

Anyone own one of these instruments, and have an opinion on seeking them out? Interested in OM/000 size.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I've played two or three different Merrill guitars at various shops over the years here in the Bay Area. They have all been very nice sounding vintage style high end guitars.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I used to own a Merrill Bros. OM and it sounded spectacular.

But,...

I'm not going to provide a link because I'm not sure it's cool but, check out the Collings Guitar forum and look for the Merrill thread under "Other Guitar Makers", it's close to the top.

my former OM-18.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 PM

There's a thread over on the Collings Guitar Forum that discusses Merrell guitars pretty extensively. I would suggest it's a must read if you are thinking about commissioning a Merrill build.

I've only played two Merrill guitars in my lifetime. Both were dreads. One was adi over mahogany and the other adi over cocobolo (I don't know the model designations). The adi/mahogany was nice but IMO nothing special. The adi/cocobolo was wondrous.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-19-2015, 05:31 PM

I own a C-28 Adi/Amazon.....it sounds dry,dry,dry, and nails the vintage D-28 sound.
I got it used, it had a few problems that had to be addressed. Bridge lifting, fretboard crack.
I had it refretted with EVO and a new saddle done. It plays easily and sounds amazing. Did I mention dry?

There is some bad press re:Merrill guitars as others have mentioned. I have not had direct contact with Jim so I can't comment.

The few C-18's I've played sounded great, although there are a lot of builders doing amazing D-18's right now.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
There's a thread over on the Collings Guitar Forum that discusses Merrell guitars pretty extensively. I would suggest it's a must read if you are thinking about commissioning a Merrill build.

I've only played two Merrill guitars in my lifetime. Both were dreads. One was adi over mahogany and the other adi over cocobolo (I don't know the model designations). The adi/mahogany was nice but IMO nothing special. The adi/cocobolo was wondrous.

This is definitely worth a look. I don't have any personal experience, good or bad, with Merrill guitars but folks with both have contributed to the discussion on the Collings forum and an informed decision can be greatly helped, I believe, by reviewing their perspectives.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Just curious, have you played a Martin OM-18A or OM-28A.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I'm not going to provide a link because I'm not sure it's cool but, check out the Collings Guitar forum and look for the Merrill thread under "Other Guitar Makers", it's close to the top.
Hmm. See what you mean. A very enthusiastic thread.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Just curious, have you played a Martin OM-18A or OM-28A.....
Rich -- I've played one OM-18A. At the time, I A/Bed it with a 000-28GE, which had a lot of character, and it overshadowed the OM-18A a bit. I'll have to give it another try.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Safest bet regarding possible structural problems is to buy one that is a few years old and that has no issues - probably from a reputable dealer who sells used guitars.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverkollar View Post

The few C-18's I've played sounded great, although there are a lot of builders doing amazing D-18's right now.
If you don't mind, what builders would you put in that category?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
...I've never seen one, but my superficial impression is they are light weight, can have an excellent prewar Martin type tone, but are prone to structural problems...
I think the idea of chronic structural issues is vastly overstated. No doubt there have been some examples with structural issues, but I have seen a lot more with absolutely no problems than I have that had problems. I would have no problems buying a used one.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
If you don't mind, what builders would you put in that category?
Check your PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:20 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about shoes!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:10 AM

I'd go Slobod Circa or Borges if you can swing it. Hooper's are a bargain for what you get as well.

m

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion